• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Little GS, Big Adventure - F650GS to Alaska from Philly leaving 5/21

jhbfly

So, I’m finally doing it again. Another big transcontinental trip. Ever since finding my way to Spokane for the 2004 MOA Rally I’ve yearned to make another BIG North American trip. That trip becomes reality starting next Thursday, May 21 – out the driveway in Malvern, PA and on the way again. Destination, Anchorage, Alaska by June 5th. Mapquest says it’s about 4400 miles. By the time I get there I’m pretty sure it’ll be close to 5000 miles. Route will take me to Detroit, where I lived for over 30 years, the first day (600 “slab” miles.) I’ll spend a day with Michigan friends, then the trip will really begin. My hope is to get to Dawson Creek, at the head of the Alaska Highway in one week and then on to Anchorage the second week. In Anchorage I’ll be joined by my wife and another couple for a week of “touristy” travel (Denali, Fairbanks, etc) by train and car. Then at the end of the week I’ll shovel everyone onto an airplane and I myself will commence to find my way back home by a considerable less direct route. Is there anyone out there with great destination and routing ideas for that return leg? Also, I’d be interested in knowing about any meets, rallies or the like on the way out or back. I’m thinking of the AK highway to Watson Lake then south to Prince George, BC then on Southward to re-enter the US at Seattle. From Seattle Eastbound who really knows. I need to be back home to the Philly area by about July 3. I did the 2004 trip on an R1150RT but for this one I’m headed out on a 2009 F650GS twin. I’m really looking forward to traveling on the lighter GS. I plan to regularly post stories and pics here while on the road. Anyone who is interested can also follow my trip on my blog at http://www.2wheels2alaska.com
Jack Broomall
Malvern, PA

Last edited:
Well, that's a pretty good first post!

Good luck. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. :wave

I'll look for you -

Leaving Chicago 5-21 aiming for the Yukon. Riding a bright yellow 1150GS, Illinois plates.

Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes.

For Beemer01, looks like I'll be a couple of days behind you. Where are u headed in the Yukon? I'll probably spend one night in Whitehorse on the way up and also returning.

To AKBeemer, Thanks on the tip for Fairbanks lodging at the university. We are all set for the portion of the trip in Fairbanks with wife and friends. However it's still an open possibility to head back up to Fairbanks (and perhaps farther North!) on the return trip. Will keep it in mind and try to drop u a line when I'm in FBK.

Ride safe, have fun!

Jack Broomall

I'm working pretty hard to make sure this trip is documented, chronicled, and shared both completely and, as far as possible, in real time. (and having fun doing so!)

Jack

What is harder preparing for, the Speed Record or sorting out this venture ?

Best of luck and we will be riding with you. :thumb

Attachments

• Broomall.JPG
    Broomall.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 645
If you have the opportunity on the way home don't miss Red Lodge Montana, up to bear tooth pass, and the chief Joseph highway into Cody Wyoming and Yellowstone. If you are coming that way you can also catch Glacier Nat park before this and the bad lands in South Dakota after. All part of a ride I did a few years ago and really loved these areas. Also if you forgot anything stop in Altoona pa on the way i'm sure I have spares lol.

Brett Endress
Altoona pa

Jack

What is harder preparing for, the Speed Record or sorting out this venture ?

Best of luck and we will be riding with you. :thumb

Geez, that's a tough question. They are SO different. The Bonneville thing is all about making 2 more horsepower on the dyno, picking the correct gearing, tweaking your tucked seating position around to get even "smaller". figuring out how to get less drag out of wheel bearings and brake hardware, ad infinitum.......and all this for a ride that only lasts about 20 seconds through the flying mile. The cross country adventure stuff adds the dimensions of navigation, serving as a travel agent, dealing with oblivious drivers of cages while they text message, the vagaries of weather and road conditions, fatigue, and the simple fact that the whole enterprise last a whole lot longer! Different as they are, however, they both begin by formulating a goal, and then following through with a well thought out plan. Hopefully my plan for the Alaska trip works out as well as the Bonneville thing did in 2008! Thanks for following and for the good wishes!
Jack Broomall

If I were on a GS I would do the haul road to Prudoe Bay/Deadhorse and then jump in the Arctic Ocean. You have to do back ground check which has a 24 hour return. The area up there is owned by oil companys, so you can not directly jump in the water. The sight sounds and smell is nothing that you can read about as you travel the couple hundred miles of gravel road. You can and will see all types of wild life up there.

Another place that puts a dot on the map for me is Hyder Alaska. Eat at the bus and then go to the Glacier Inn and get "Hyderized".

Prudhoe Bay is, for sure, on my "possible" list. I can't do it on the way North because I'm kinda on a schedule to get to Anchorage to meet with wife and others. On the other hand, after I put them all on an airplane headed home I've got a bit more discretionary time. That would be my chance to make a shot at the Arctic Ocean, or at least Coldfoot and the Arctic Circle. I Will wait till I'm up there to decide based on weather, etc. Life sure is full of possibilities, no?

Prudhoe

I went Prudhoe bay in 2004 on a R1150GS, I think your bike is much better.
You will really like Coldfoot, food and bar is great.

Thanks Terence and St Paul for the good wishes. Not much left now but to get on the bike and do it. Tomorrow (Wed 5/20) will be pretty busy. I'm gonna take off from home and ride the 80+ miles (in the WRONG direction!) to the New Jersey shore accompanied by long time riding buddy and partner in crime, Don Verdiani. There I'll briefly dip my toe in the Atlantic Ocean (55 degrees they tell me ....brrrrrrr) and photo document same. This will validate the claim that this ride is truly "coast to coast." Then I'll turn around (ok, maybe a brief stop for salt water taffy)and come back to Philadelphia for a 1:30 PM get together at RevZilla Motorsports. Friends, supporters and interested parties are all invited to the store to chat about the ride, the bike, long distance travel, the charity that my ride supports - The Austin Hatcher Foundation, and to check out the absolutely blazin' hot ride gear in the RevZilla showroom. The RevZilla store is at 38 Jackson St., Philadelphia, 19148.I sure hope some friends, new and old, can make it. Looks like a perfect day to ride! By 3:00 I'll be headed out for real, this time headed in the proper direction - North and West. The short ride back to my home in Suburban Philly will end what I'd calling Day 0. Thursday the real mileage thrash begins with the 600 mile leg to Michigan! I'm excited. The long awaited trip is really here!!!

Day 0 - New Jersey Shore & back!

Day 0 - Wednesday May 20
Start: Ocean City , NJ
End Malvern, PA
Trip Miles Today: 93
Total Trip Miles: 93

We're off! Quick trip to the Jersey Shore to claim "Coast to Coast" then back to Philly for a little get together at RevZilla Motorsports RevZilla was kind enough to make a donation to The Austin Hatcher Foundation. A video guy from the CBS TV outlet in Philly was there to capture it, and the ride was the subject of a short segment on CBS3 news at 6:00PM tonight!. Back home now going through the throes of hysterical, mad, packing! Off to Detroit tomorrow for the start of the "real" miles (600 miles-all highway). Hope that nice weather you see in the pics holds! More tomorrow.

541835394_dM8SH-M.jpg

541834482_MKKJY-M-1.jpg

541837405_q3xL8-M.jpg

Good luck, have a safe trip!

In your first post you stated that you were planning on re-entry back into the US in Seattle. I would highly recommend that you consider taking the ferry from Victoria BC to Port Angeles, WA instead. Olympic National Park is there, itÔÇÖs one of those ÔÇ£off the beaten pathÔÇØ locations thatÔÇÖs absolutely beautiful. Hurricane Ridge is just outside of town and depending on time you could travel 101 west out of Port Angeles and then follow the Pacific coast south until you get back to the Olympia area.

Back