• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

North to Alaska

edge51

In an attempt to let ya'll get to know me better I offer this ride report and pictures of my trip to Alaska - my first long trip on a BMW.

My friend Pat O. and I left Maple Grove, Minnesota on June 20. We rode North to Winnepeg. and then West to the coast near Prince Rupert, B.C. This first leg of the trip was a good test of the BMW's weather protection as it was cold and rained at least part of each of the first nine days. Fritz ( I know not original for a BMW but that is the name I came to call him anyway ) passed the test with flying colors as did my riding gear and luggage.

We had till July 26th to catch the ferry in Skagway, Alaska so we had plenty of time to let the weather be what it was and enjoy seeing the land in all its guises.

We took Hwy 16 from Jasper to Hwy 37 (the Cassiar Hwy) in BC. I must say that in the end Hwy 37 was my favorite part of the trip. It is only 200 miles long and is 20% gravel but this road was a delightful ride. We saw more wildlife and felt closer to the wild on this highway than we did the entire rest of the trip. The side trip to Hyder, Alaska was also a highlight of the trip for me. Hydar and its gravel road up the Salmon Glacier are a must see.

From Hwy 37 we rode the Alaska Hwy in the Yukon to Whitehorse where we caught the Klondike Hwy north to Dawson City. Here we went from clouds to smoke. This was a bad summer for fires in Alaska and unfortunately the smoke made the Dawson City to Fairbanks area unviewalble. We tried twice but had 1/4 mile or less visibility each time - and the 2nd try was 3 weeks after the first.

The smoke drove us south to Valdez. What a ride ! Nice even in the rain, It cleared in Vadez and we had mostly nice weather for the rest of the trip. From Valdez we went up to Denali Natl. Park and spent a few days there.

I had a 6k service scheduled in Anchorage on July 13th. I was well treated and served by the BMW dealer there. I had an appointment - a good idea for any traveling that way - but I did witness them attempt to help several ride in travelers that day. They be good folk.

After my service appointment we spent an enjoyable two weeks touring the Kenai Peninsula and then workin our way back to Skagway for the ferry ride.

The ferry was a great way to end this adventure.

Pictures to follow:

Got to start somewhere - the beginning seems good. Pat O and Bugslayer on the left - me and Fritz on the right.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 211
Jasper and the Columbia Ice Field - now the trip really feels started. Pat in the foreground.

Attachments

• ice field jasper.jpg
    ice field jasper.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 206
A view from the Cassiar Hwy - my favorite part of this trip.

Attachments

• cassiar hwy.jpg
    cassiar hwy.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 204
err.... good bear - stay there please - nice bear ....... ?

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 202
Fire makes its first appearance - the smoke really hung around and limited our chance to see the NE part of the Alaska circle.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 197
finally - West of Dawson City on top of the world hwy - we enter the real Alaska.

Attachments

• real alaska.jpg
    real alaska.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 196
we ran from the fire into the rain - ahh but it was still a wonderful run.

Attachments

• rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 194
but all things must come to an end. Thanks for letting me share with you all.

Attachments

• end.jpg
    end.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 183
Great pics

Thanks for posting your report. Love the pics - how did you get the bear to come so close? (yipes).
Gotta say I like the name your friend Pat stuck on his bike.

thanks all.

Cliffy - I have to admit the bear photo was taken from a protected walkway along side a salmon stream about 5 miles outside of Hyder, AK. We were quite safe. In fact we got about 10 minutes of video of that Momma chasing down Salmon and feeding them to her cub.

Back