• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Iron Butt in MI

RBEST149084

I and 3 others are in the process of doing a run in June. Up to the upper MI down to Chicago threw WI and back to Saginaw MI. We are still working on the dates, as all 4 riders are flexible. Anyone want to join, make it a mini rally :bikes

I'm in Owosso. May be interested. 2 of us are going to Hyder, Alaska next Saturday morning, returning the following Friday night. Leaving from Grayling and returning to Grayling. Why, because we can!!!
This trip around the lake sounds like fun, except the Chicago part.

All MI Iron Butt

Why don't you just go up to Copper Harbor for lunch and back to Saginaw. To make sure of the mileage, go up I-75 til you hit M-28 instead of US 2. That way it is about 550 miles from Saginaw to Copper Harbor. You will get your Saddle Sore 1000 that way.

Patrick
2002 R1150R
1993 K75RT

How are the plans comming along?

If you are going to weekend of the 20th or the 27th there is a good chance I'll join you.

This trip around the lake sounds like fun, except the Chicago part.

I'm with you. Michigan (LP and UP) and Wisconsin are awesome, but I have no interest in riding anywhere near Chicago.

I don't know where the planned starting point is, but let's say for the sake of argument it is Lansing (smack dab in the middle of the LP). I'd run it this way:

1. Start point, Lansing
2. West to Muskegon
3. Up the Lake Michigan shoreline to Manistee, Traverse, Charlevoix
4. Head to Mackinaw City, and across Big Mac to St Igance
5. Up to Sault St Marie
6. West across the UP to Tahquamenon, Newberry, Munising, Marquette and all the way to Ironwood
7. Southeast through Iron River, Crystal Falls, and Iron Mountain to Escanaba
8. Follow the Lake Michigan shoreline south to Green Bay
9. Cross the Door Peninsula to Manitowoc, WI

At that point, you've covered 1,048 miles, all on beautiful roads in God's country. In Manitowoc, you can pick up the SS Badger car ferry, which will take you and your bike back across Lake Michigan to Ludington.

That's pretty much my dream ride. I will do it someday.

ksdr60,
That sounds like a great ride, but you really need to add Copper Harbor in step 6, between Marquette and Ironwood. I used to live in Calumet and NEVER tired of the ride up there.

have been a few good comments about copper harbor. Dont know about the ferry tho. The thought of looking at my RT for 4 hours and not riding it would drive me insane.

ksdr60,
That sounds like a great ride, but you really need to add Copper Harbor in step 6, between Marquette and Ironwood. I used to live in Calumet and NEVER tired of the ride up there.

Yeah, I love the Keewenaw, too. I was just trying to keep it right at about 1,000 miles, and that would have put it considerably over. Since it's my "dream ride", though, I guess I would certainly head from Marquette up through Baraga and Houghton to Calumet and Copper Harbor, and then head over to Ontonagon and the Porkies for a ride up to Lake of the Clouds.

Another ride I really want to do someday is the Lake Superior circle route through Thunder Bay.

have been a few good comments about copper harbor. Dont know about the ferry tho. The thought of looking at my RT for 4 hours and not riding it would drive me insane.

The SS Badger is a really nice way to go. And after 1,000 miles in the saddle, a 4 hour break to hang out on the rail and enjoy the lake breezes will be a nice change. Or get a stateroom and take a nap. But the best part is that you don't need to ride through Chicago or Gary.

Also interested, but not so much if Chicago is in the trip tick. You were kind enough to post your plans and invite others, but if it ends up avoiding Chicago then I'd be interested.

Michigan Iron

Hello all,

When I've had to ride through Chicago I always try to leave early enough to miss Chicago traffic. When I rode around Lake Michigan a few years ago I believe I left my home around 3:30 a.m.. With the time change that put me through Chicago before morning (Saturday) rush hour traffic. I would much rather ride through Chicago early in the morning rather than late in the afternoon.

Richard

Commerce, Mi

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=saginaw&daddr=E+Lakeshore+Dr%2FUS-2+to:45.916766,-86.951294+to:Copper+Harbor,+Keweenaw,+Michigan&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVpjvQIddKDc-g%3B%3BFeJQ1AIdotzC-g&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=46.023668,-86.275635&sspn=2.010043,4.240723&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023668,-86.275635&spn=2.010043,4.240723&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=saginaw&daddr=E+Lakeshore+Dr%2FUS-2+to:45.916766,-86.951294+to:Copper+Harbor,+Keweenaw,+Michigan&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVpjvQIddKDc-g%3B%3BFeJQ1AIdotzC-g&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=46.023668,-86.275635&sspn=2.010043,4.240723&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023668,-86.275635&spn=2.010043,4.240723" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I think the weekend of June 20th looks good.............let me know what yall think

516 miles one way. Plan on a early depart. Hit the bridge at sunrise. I have 3 confirmed so far.

147873, Hartland High School grad here,now living in Mn. Doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour over that weekend and we will be doing the Sault Ste Marie to Copper Harbor leg on Sunday the 21st.

:wave

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=saginaw&daddr=E+Lakeshore+Dr%2FUS-2+to:45.916766,-86.951294+to:Copper+Harbor,+Keweenaw,+Michigan&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVpjvQIddKDc-g%3B%3BFeJQ1AIdotzC-g&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=46.023668,-86.275635&sspn=2.010043,4.240723&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023668,-86.275635&spn=2.010043,4.240723&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=saginaw&daddr=E+Lakeshore+Dr%2FUS-2+to:45.916766,-86.951294+to:Copper+Harbor,+Keweenaw,+Michigan&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVpjvQIddKDc-g%3B%3BFeJQ1AIdotzC-g&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=46.023668,-86.275635&sspn=2.010043,4.240723&ie=UTF8&ll=46.023668,-86.275635&spn=2.010043,4.240723" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I think the weekend of June 20th looks good.............let me know what yall think

516 miles one way. Plan on a early depart. Hit the bridge at sunrise. I have 3 confirmed so far.

When we head to Copper Harbor we get off of 2 at 117 and head north through Engedine to 28. Lot less traffic, especially trucks. What you lose in lake scenery on 2 you gain in lake scenery in Muinising.... Much nicer ride in my opinion, with the exception of the "Seney Stretch" :)

1,000 mile options

Just a couple thoughts.

1. Lansing to Sault Ste. Marie to Sudbury around to Sarnia to Lansing is 1,013 miles. Nothing like a couple International border crossings to make things interesting.

2. A bunch of strange (Team Strange) riders will be getting together in Minnesota at that time of June to do what your talking about with a little twist.

http://www.teamstrange.com/2009/MN1K/

Bonus locations (50 to 70 with various point values) are handed out for typically a five state area plus Canada. You pick your route. Some ride a lot and some don't. Everyone disappears at 8:00 AM on Saturday and reappear by 7:59 Sunday with the evidence of their finds (photos - dates from historical markers etc). Points are also given for a three hour rest bonus. It is actually a big overnight scavenger hunt where you meet other like minded people in strange out of the way places throughout the day and night. You share a smile and a laugh and your off separate ways to more bonuses. If you ride a very efficient route and collect more points than others you may get a piece of wood to show others. If you don't you just end up with one of the most memorable times of life where you met a bunch of people that had one common underlying interest - to go riding. The last Iron Butt Rally was won by a rider from this group. This event is so much fun.

Ride safe.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Did you guys go this weekend or is it planned for the 06-27-09 week end?

Back