Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intergenerational Restoration

sumran

Intergenerational Restoration

My son is going to be 14 in June. He has attended some tech days with me and helped host one. At the last one, he was very involved in reviving a R90 that had been a non-runner for more than 5 years. He cleaned the heads and the valves while we worked on carbs etc. It was a highlight of the tech day when the bike came to life. It was running fairly well by the end of the weekend.

We had such a good time, I went looking for a project bike for us. I wanted something we could go through over the next few years; something he could ride when the time was right. We found it sooner than expected. Someone saw my "bike wanted" ad that had done the same thing with his son at about the same age. He gave me great deal on a '73 60/5 LWB toaster.

So here are some pics. I am having some trouble getting smugmug to work right (operator error, I'm sure). I'll add a post with multiple pics when I get that worked out. I will try to keep the progress updated as we go along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sumran
    It is missing carbs, lights, instruments and controls. Everything else is there and in fairly good order.

sumran
    Thought the cafe crowd would enjoy the unique application of clubman bars.

sumran
    I'm not sure about the mileage on the bike. Any estimates based on the brake pedal?

Finding a good /5 headlight can be challenging. You might consider a /6 type. It's a better light, and it'll add to the fun, both in the doing and in shocking the rivet counters.

I helped my stepson put a /5 on the road over ten years ago, telling him, "If you can ride a /5, you can ride anything!".

sumran
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    Finding a good /5 headlight can be challenging. You might consider a /6 type. It's a better light, and it'll add to the fun, both in the doing and in shocking the rivet counters.
    You are clearly a radical. Next you will be suggesting custom gauges and an upgraded electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by sumran View Post
    You are clearly a radical. Next you will be suggesting custom gauges and an upgraded electrical system.
    Yep, aside from the frame, brakes, clutch, and electrical sytem airheads are pretty good bikes!

Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Can you adopt me?

My dad got rid of his only BMW (and any motorcycle he owned) loooong before I was ever a thought.

sumran
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Can you adopt me?...
    You should have asked before I read all your posts!

Rally Rat
    I envy you Randy. You and your son are in for quite an adventure. You know he'll be driving age when you guys get it all finished. Have fun, don't rush it.

Ride Safe
    MB

535IS
    Awright! Planning to do this myself with my daughter, but the project is already picked out. Her mom has a Honda Rebel that hasn't moved in nearly a decade. We have all the parts ...

Quote Originally Posted by sumran View Post
    You should have asked before I read all your posts!

Bill Burke
    That brake pedal ain't got a mile over 35K on her. What a find!

[QUOTE=crazydrummerdude;454463]Can you adopt me?

Depends. What's your mom look like?

sumran
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    We do have an opening for a crazy uncle.