• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ELAST Alternator Belt on 04 R1150RT

1024JLC

I have an 04 R1150RT which has the "free-wheel" pully on the alternator, and apparently there is a "special tool" required to spread the upper and lower pullies apart in order to acheive the proper tension on the belt. The old method of using the torque wrench at 8 nm apparently will not work, at least from what I have read thus far. I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to spread the distance between the two pullies without the special tool?

2) Does anyone know what the distance in mm is supposed to be between the two pullies, when properly set?

I find lots of information regarding the older "poly belt" adjustment methods, but nothing about the "Elast Belt", except going to the dealer due to special method and special tool requirements.

Kind of makes me wonder what one would do if the belt need changing in a remote area on an extended trip.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I came across this by accident. I had changed a few belts on my 94 R-11-RS, so when it came time to do my 04 R-1150-RT I figured no problem. Man was I wrong. I tried for over an hour. I went to the dealer the next day to see if they gavce me the dwrong belt. It turns on the later 1150's BMW used the same belt as the new R1200RT's. No way to install with out the tool. and the tool is very expensive. So I will bite the bullit and have it done at the dealer when its due. Cheaper than purchasing a one use tool for big bucks. Good luck..

Ya ! my dealer just smiled and said dont go thier!
they took it easy on me!
sometimes its just to expensive for that dang tool !
I so want a Hubble telescope for my Canon!
but hey! I just live with the fact. I cant have all the tools made.
The new Leica S2 is $20,000.00 just for the body. Lenses are like
OMG high! So I will stick with only a few German things in my life!
and That belt ajusting tool was not one of them!
bd

I It turns on the later 1150's BMW used the same belt as the new R1200RT's. No way to install with out the tool. and the tool is very expensive. ..

I just watched Jim VonBaden's R1200 video. He changes one of these very easily (seemingly) with no special tool. Looked like a piece of cake. My belt looked fine so I'll wait. Let you know if I actually try it.

Back