Thread: deer hit

On the Road

deer hit

I've got a bad summer going so far. First ride of the year and I hit a deer. Totaled the '05 gs, busted a knee and cracked a couple vertibrea. I believe I am healing well, and am looking for my replacement bike.
    The only gs I have ridden has been the '05. My interest is mainly in the pre-'05s at this time. I'd like to initiate a little discussion about the merit's vs the drawbacks of the older years of gs. I'm aware of the new gs features for comparison's sake.
    thanks alot

DZIMBRIC
    Glad to hear that you are getting well and ready to start riding again.

I have an '05 GS and am seriously considering going to a R100GS. While the bigger motor, more horseppwer and enhanced electronics are nice when everything is working the simplicity of the older airheads leaves a lot be desired when it's on on the stand in my garage.

I also seem to be slowing down a littlel so the GS may suit me just fine. I recently sucked some water up in a water crossing and am still working on the R1200GS trying to get it sorted back out. With the old airheads, you just dry them out and if your not shooting metal out the cylinder and getting spark they will run. Gravity fed fuel system, no fuel pumps, what more can I say. Yeah they do have some issues but they are known and people have been dealing with them for a while. Plus you can still get parts for them. Try that with some of the 25 year old japanese products that are out there.

I have multiple bikes so my GS would only be used for dual sport riding. If i know I willl be on roads I take one of the K bikes.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad to hear it wasn't any more serious than what it was, which was bad enough.

Heal quickly and well.

Hope you heal well and quickly. Glad to see you are all ready looking for a nother bike too and not letting this incident disuade you from riding.

I can't offer much insight on the merits of older GSs, but I can identify and sympathise with you over the deer vs GS incident. Had much the same incident myself recently with different but no less serious injuries. I went the other route, replacing my F650GS with a new F800GS. I don't know if that's a choice that's of interest to you. I can say the 800 is a great machine.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

bmdubyou
    wow...sory to hear about your accident. I always look for deer and wonder if I'll ever encounter one. Ive hit a few with the car and they just come up out of nowhere. What happened in your case?
    I just switched from a '93 GSPD to an '02 GSA. I LOVE the ride and handling differences. More power as well. Its a bear of a bike though! NOt sure that I'd be looking forward to electrical probs if that ever happens! So far I like it!

I've got 41,000 miles on an '04 1150 GS with the dual plugs and partailly integrated ABS servo brakes. As far as differences it is heavier (560 lbs) has fewer horse power (85, plenty for me) and I believe is slightly taller (or at least has more ground clearance) than the 1200 GS. It has a clunkier transmission, but if you lightly preload the shifter it's not an issue. I probably average 42-45 mpg, on a tank full best ever was 51; worst 36. Had to replace the starter, and clutch slave cylinder. Upgraded the left sided cam chain tensioner to 1200 version. Checked my splines at 30,000 miles--no evidence of wear. The stock windshield sucks above 50 mph. Torbinators helped; tried Aeroflow-too much protection for me; current solution is GS Adventure screen with Torbinators.
    I do all my own maintenance and repairs. Had 2 airheads (R90/6 & R80/7); they were easier to work on, but the 1150's not that hard especially if one uses all the chat group help that is available.
    Despite any short comings I love this bike and don't antisipate getting a new BMW in the forseeable future.
    Last edited by PETDOC; 05-06-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: forgot issue

On the Road
    thanks for the reply's. i go this afternoon to get the knee looked at, seems to be healing good. i'm not putting weight on it yet. my back feels ok with the turtle shell on, just a steady knot and i believe it is doing well also. i get that looked at next week. all you hunters out there need to come up to bayfield county and help thin this herd. i'll talk more about the wreck after these two checkups.
    the bike is totaled. i really liked the R12 but i had a final drive falure and never have liked that i couldnt even buy a paper service manual for it. dealerships are all i good hike from here. i think i could live with less horsepower. 100 ponys are a bit much. the extra weight might not be so bad in a crosswind either. i feel the need to try another model year this time around. a couple good things about this situation is i can spend plenty of time looking for the next bike, and do alot of serious fishing while i heal. more later.

Glad to hear you're OK. Maybe a late 80's or early 90's GSPD would be up your alley....

On the Road
    due to a sceduling foul up at the hospitol, my back and knee were checked out today. knee looks real good, start bearing weight. my back isn't so good. the busted piece has shifted and I need to get some rods and brackets installed wednesday. this was not the knews I had hoped for but I'm still lucky its not worse. volunteering for surgury sure feels different than consenting to emergency repairs. I'm not used to thinking about it for a few days. I'll keep you posted.
    cheq

On the Road
    Hello again,
    I've returned from surgery and a couple of weeks at a friend's house. They ended up fusing 7 of my thoracic vertibrea with hardware. The first few times the nurses had me sit up and walk around were pretty agonizing but it has improved steadily since then. I have to wear the corset for an additional 3.5 months and have a 5 lb lifting limit for the next month and a half. I still plan on a good recovery and be riding again next summer. As far as my replacement gs goes I'll just have to shop carefully with an open mind all summer, fall, and winter. The things I liked about the R12 were the integral anti lock brakes and the power, even if it's not really needed. Those servo brakes are just plain awsome on dirt roads. I ran them with the anti lock on all the time and felt that was definately an advantage, especially coming up on a corner a little too hot. I saw my deer two jumps before it hit me and was able to scrub off enough speed for the impact to be with the front of the bike instead of my waist where it looked like we were going to collide. I mashed the front brake and that bike pulled down hard and straight until impact. I have to commend my riding gear also. Believe it or not, other than my knee and back, I didn't have a bruize on me. That expensive padded jacket, pants and good full face helmet were worth thier weight in gold. ( I was on a gravel road when all this happened) The wreck has given me some second thoughts on riding alone in the national forest like I always do. Cell service is sporadic and I was on the ground for an hour and a half before someone came down the road to give me a lift to a phone and ambulance. One of the biggest reasons I started riding bmw's 15 years ago was because I have always loved riding alone. I suppose if I were to spend my time assessing the risks of gs'ing up here I might not do it, but the love of it is too great to stop. I cant wait for next summer.

E_Page
    Glad your on the mend and keeping a good attitude. Too bad about your bike and the rest of the riding season that won't be.

Take it easy and follow the doc's advice and hopefully you'll be on your new ride by this time next year.

I understand the enjoyment of riding alone, but agree that it's best to have someone else along in the backcountry.

Get well.

Ideally a riding partner is the way to go for back country rides. Next best option is a device like the SPOT GPS tracking unit. I was in a similar situation last fall after I hit a deer with my GS and was close to sending out the 911 signal on my SPOT when a lady came along and helped me out.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

On the Road
    hi everyone,
    i'm back in the saddle again!! i found an "04 gs with 15k on it for a good price and snatched her up right away. the seller's old lady was making him sell it due to her saftey concerns for him. he said it wasn't worth getting divorced for, but after putting a couple hundred miles on it yesterday i would question that. what a sweet riding bike. yes, it does have less power than the r12, but not much. i still think the 100 horses are unnessesary. i couldn't tell any difference in vibration levels. as far as weight goes, the system cases are lighter and again, i couldnt feel any difference. the 1150 sounds better, and with the grey color i think it looks better too. i'm glad it doesnt have those gay plastic covers over the fake fuel tank. it does have the servo integral anti lock brakes which i am a big fan of. all said, so far i am liking this one better than the r12. this could be because it's new to me and i'm so happy to be able to ride again and salvage the last of the summer. i have ridden with and without my shell and the back is taking it pretty good. i shift my riding position slightly when the back gets sore but overall it looks good for the future. the knee is still stiff and sore but that will take a year or more to get to normal. i know this from expierence, 17 years ago i broke the other one in a snow machine accident. i've been busted up and fixed up and now i have to ride like the middle aged man i am. that's ok, i'm ecstatic that i can even ride again. thank's for all your input, i appreciate it.
    cheq

Cheq,
    Don't know if you go on long multi-day trips, but in those instances I've found the rider BakUp backrest to be invaluable. Easy on/off and adjusts both up and down, and to and fro.
    Also recommend cylinder guards (I've got Staunton, but they are no longer made) and the Touratech Steering Stop hard part . I'm 5'11" and after 44,000 miles my '04 GS has been on the ground at least 7 times; always at 0 to 5 mph, usually in a parking lot. It's heavy and once it reaches a certain tilt point I have learned to just let it go vs pull a hip/back muscle in a vain attempt to stop it. With the system cases and cylinder guards it rarely gets a scratch--few on system case lids, cylinder guards and hand guards, and 2 broken front blinker lenses (both times left side). I recently sanded the scratches out of my cylinder guards which are cast aluminum, repainted them, and they now look as good as new.