Thread: Oil Leak near engine cover

Oil Leak near engine cover

Sent my 2006 F650GS in for it's 6000 mile service Sept 2008 with 5842 miles on it. Went for a weekend ride afterwards, 400 miles. Then I put it to bed for the winter. I pulled it out last weekend and founds it's leaked oil on the floor, perhaps a little more than a teaspoon. I wiped the bike dry and waited a few days. It's leaking again, without having ridden it. It appears to be leaking around the right engine housing cover gasket and wicks down to the oil stainer and drips from one of the bolts on the engine cover. I took the skid plate off.

My question is did that gasket or did that part get removed as part of my 6K mile service? My records show that the cylinder head gasket did. I can see a bit of green gasket showing...

There was also an issue with my service. My bike wasn't ready in the one day because they forgot to order "a gasket"... miraculously one appeared by 10 am the next morning to allow us to leave on time.

Looking for what I should do. It's still under it's 3 year warranty for another 17 days. I was able to give 3 of the T27 bolts perhaps an 1/8 of a turn. The others would not move. This was with a little torx key 2" long and I'm a girl so over torquing shouldn't be a problem

Thoughts? Just bring it in and tell them it's leaking?? I'm hoping this will be covered by either the previous service or the warranty. Obviously I'll see if it still leaks after the retorquing...

Meldy
    Last edited by MeldySpud; 04-29-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Oil leak is not near strainer... I thought it was when I started this thread!

klw457
    Can you post a picture?

Can you see or feel a trace of oil draining from around the gasket? For the 6K service the valve cover would be removed. Unless the gasket was mangled during removal or if it was worn they can be reused (I just did a my third valve check last night, gasket like new). So the valve cover gasket is one possibility as well as the "O" ring for the oil filter cover. It may be pinched, not tight enough, or missing.

I would notify the dealer asap. That would cover you under your warranty because it happened in the "warranty period" right after the service.

Another possibility is to see how well you chain is lubed. If it is nice and wet it will toss oil into the front sprocket area and drip on the right side of the bikes underside.

Additionally, be careful tightening bolts on your aluminum engine. The last thing you want to deal with is a cross threaded bolt. The second to last would be on you snapped off trying to hard. In most cases just "snug 'em up" as Flash from the Chain Gang would say.

If you haven't checked out the f650 forum yet you may want to. just about anything to do with your bike has been addressed there. http://www.f650.com/

I had a similar experience. I was convinced I had a leaking gasket somewhere. Finally traced the oil "leak" to the airbox drain hose. It's common to over-fill the F650's oil. Oil ends up in the airbox and leaks out thru as well as around the drain hose. It then runs down the engine and looks exactly like a bad gasket. I removed some oil from my tank, cleaned out the airbox, and the "leak" stopped.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2015 1200GS

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    I had a similar experience. I was convinced I had a leaking gasket somewhere. Finally traced the oil "leak" to the airbox drain hose. It's common to over-fill the F650's oil. Oil ends up in the airbox and leaks out thru as well as around the drain hose. It then runs down the engine and looks exactly like a bad gasket. I removed some oil from my tank, cleaned out the airbox, and the "leak" stopped.

Good catch.

It could be leaking from the oil filter cover if not tightened good enough. I had problems with an oil leak for years and tried to get it fixed multiple times. Each time, dealership failed to fix it. You might want to look at your oil tank. My oil tank was cracked. I finally got it fixed right before my bike went out of warranty. Your hoses could also be causing the problem. The oil could be coming from several different places. I went around and around with the dealer to finally fix my oil leak. Luckily, I finally got it fixed.