• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

where to buy helmet

bigsur52

04 1150RS
Are there a couple of internet/mail order sites that are good for helmets? I already know what I want and what size to order. Thanks.

Newenough

Check out www.newenough.com.

They may have the helmet you're looking for. Great people to do business with, I purchased my last helmet (HJC) from them. Of course, I, too, knew the correct style and size before ordering.

I support my dealer when I can, so that's where I buy my helmets. The appreciation is there when I take my bike in for service, etc... I go online when my dealer doesn't carry what I'm buying.

That, and I'd recommend not buying a helmet without wearing it around for 15-20 minutes. That's the only way to make sure there aren't any "hotspots" that might crop up during a long ride. You can't do that online. And speaking of that, I'd never try on a helmet, or any other article of clothing, at a local store then turn around and buy it online. I know people who do it, but to me its distastefully dishonest behavior.

+2 on dishonesty.

I buy everything that I wear in local shops where I can get fitted right. The little extra it may cost is more than offset by savings on mail order stuff that doesn't fit right and has to be exchanged or sold/ given away at a big loss.

helmets

I buy what ever I can from my local dealer. They are trying to stay in business and if they go, where do you take your bike. The fitting is also better from your local shop. Any problems and they will send it back plus they have good repoir with sales reps. If I can't get something from my dealer, then I go on line.

And speaking of that, I'd never try on a helmet, or any other article of clothing, at a local store then turn around and buy it online. I know people who do it, but to me its distastefully dishonest behavior.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I am not a dealer but rather a sales rep for the past 28 years and my belief is in supporting the dealer or soon everybody will have to buy from an internet source. I bought a very nice Shoei Multitec from a dealer of numerous Japanese model motorcycles who goes to great length and expense to have a huge selection of helmets and riding apparel in stock. A salesperson helped me for well over 45 minutes while I tried to narrow my decision down from 4 brands I tried. To go into his shop and take advantage of his outlay of money in inventory, only to see what fits and then go online to save a few bucks, is more than distasteful. It is the ultimate definition of a cheap ass!

J.C. Whitney

J.C. Whitney is an excellent place to buy a helmet. They have a huge selection and the prices are more than reasonable. Plus they are a good company and you can return with no problem.

:usa

That, and I'd recommend not buying a helmet without wearing it around for 15-20 minutes. That's the only way to make sure there aren't any "hotspots" that might crop up during a long ride. You can't do that online. And speaking of that, I'd never try on a helmet, or any other article of clothing, at a local store then turn around and buy it online. I know people who do it, but to me its distastefully dishonest behavior.
+ 3 or whatever we're up to.

If you want to have a store where you can try things on - you won't for long if you try them on and buy them elsewhere. No profit incentive to the store to keep things in stock if you're buying elsewhere to save a few bucks.

I support my dealer when I can, so that's where I buy my helmets. The appreciation is there when I take my bike in for service, etc... I go online when my dealer doesn't carry what I'm buying.

I agree 100%

Check out www.newenough.com.

They may have the helmet you're looking for. Great people to do business with, I purchased my last helmet (HJC) from them. Of course, I, too, knew the correct style and size before ordering.

+1 for newenough. The last two helmets (the S.O.'s & mine & the same type we had) came from newenough, and we saved $75.00 over what we paid a dealer per helmet for the first two--that's a whoppin' $150.00 that we used to buy new gear for our growing daughter.

I have nothing against supporting our local dealers, keeping them in business to work on our bikes, stock parts, and sell us new and used bikes, but my local dealer doesn't work on bikes that are over ten years old; consequently, since my RSL is well over ten, I don't mind buying parts and gear on line. I will add, however, that I wouldn't feel right about going to the dealer just to try on helmets and other gear before buying them online especially since many places have excellent exchange policies.

Robert

Best site for helmets/prices

Rokheadbikes.com had the best prices and incredibly fast service. They will email you a better price very quickly. I am thrilled with my axis yellow RF1000 Shoei, the first new helmet I've purchased. The hard part of purchasing a helmet is deciding what you want. You can research what you want from a dealer. If they won't match the price on a mailorder website, go to them.

Is it tacky to ask your local dealer to match or get close to the internet price?

You can research what you want from a dealer. If they won't match the price on a mailorder website, go to them.

How much does your research cost the dealer?

You and people like you are why local dealers are drying up.

I would be ashamed of myself for doing "research", which is your code for trying on and deciding what you want at the dealer and then going home and ordering it online.

The olny thing cheap about a BMW is its rider.

Is it tacky to ask your local dealer to match or get close to the internet price?

I think that depends upon where you are. Other than Scorpion, pretty much every helmet sold at a dealership in Canada has to be purchased through a "wholesaler/importer". These 3rd parties have their mark up which of course gets passed on to the dealership who in turn has to add his margin onto that. In this case, I would say it is tacky to ask because there is no way my local dealer (importer markup, currency differential, etc) can match a price from newenough.com or others.

My wife and I don't necessarily buy from our local BMW dealer but we do purchase our stuff from local businesses. The biggest issue we see is the lack of staff in the local motorcycle stores.

My last helmet purchase was from one of the MOA rally vendors, good deal, they shipped my old one home for free, and it was a helmet my local dealer did not stock.

Back