• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Challenge... Let loose your roost!

Visian

look out!!!
Registration is now open - first come, first serve! <=click here

russ5.jpg

photo by outbackUFO

howdy all, as your GS events chair for this year's international rally, i have some interesting news.

looks like we're going to be able to significantly expand upon the GS Trials that we did out in wyoming last year.

given the motocross track in the fairgrounds, and the proximity to the rally of the BMW Performance Center, it looks like the GS riders coming to the rally will have something excellent to look forward to. :evil

we are still in the process of defining the details of the event, but i wanted to post a note early and start looking for some volunteers to support the show.

please PM me if you're interested.

and please post here the kind of things you'd like to see in a GS event.

thanks.

ian

Last edited:
Awesome news!! Thanks for all your hard work to put this together. Unfortunately I will not be able to participate...but I will be watchin'!!

Your Gillette Connection;

Hi buddy, Randy here as the last year guy in charge of GS stuff:). I had a lot of fun doing it, so here is to you and "your party", best wishes:). I will most probably be there from the West Coast and "riding" in your GS event. We had fun last year and I hope it takes off in a bigger fashion this year for all those easterners on GS's....Its really cool to have the track available at a rally again and makes this GS'ing stuff a real treat for riders and spectators alike. Count on me to be of ANY help you need. I'm volunteering:). I'll follow you here and get in touch more, if needed. Thanks for doing this and carrying the GS thing forward....Randy Owens, Happy Trails:thumb :usa

Where's all the GS'ers;

Are you all "street only" GS riders and no grit? I know many GS offroaders exist and it would be good to hear from a few here, for VISIAN is doing a great thing for you guys back east and us coming from far too:). "Bring it on" and even if you are a learning dirt guy or gal, come anyways and learn from some of the best that will be there. We're friendly and help those wanabe's in dirt on BMW's:) The challenge has been made available and it would be a shame to see it pass by in Tennessee without a LOT of dirty GSs having fun at the rally GS Events...Speak up:) Randy"Polarbear":thumb

Cool

Hi Ian, I'm all over this. Was not able to go to Gillette last year but heard about it.
I'll be happy to help, participate or both. Let us know any details as they come available so we can get the word out.

Thanks,
Dan

I could be of some help... I am local to the Performance Center and may or may not be able to attend the Rally due to new addition to the family due around that time, but this could be my little piece of the rally as I am literally 15 miles from the Performance Center.

Hi Ian, I'm all over this. Was not able to go to Gillette last year but heard about it.
I'll be happy to help, participate or both. Let us know any details as they come available so we can get the word out.

Thanks,
Dan

I could be of some help... I am local to the Performance Center and may or may not be able to attend the Rally due to new addition to the family due around that time, but this could be my little piece of the rally as I am literally 15 miles from the Performance Center.

hey dan, great to hear from you... and nice meeting you at the GMR.

chris - how's it going?

the event is going to be at the rally, on the motocross track that's part of the fairgrounds. no, we won't be flying triples, but we do plan to do some custom course building, pending budget approval.

chris, if you can't come to the rally, there may be a way to help out the people at the performance center.

and lt. dan... stay tuned. more details coming soon.

ian

In.

Will help in what ever way you need. Will try to participate but I might not be able to keep up with the "Big Dogs". :bow

Kevin

thanks for the volunteer efforts coming in, i've been replying to PMs and providing my e-mail address.

we still need more volunteers, so please don't be shy. and volunteering will not keep you from being able to participate.

here is an early preview of some of the details that are forming up:

thursday, july 16 - training and practice day

as mentioned above, there's an MX track on-site, so it's available the entire time. we also have gotten approved a budget for a bulldozer operator to come in and create some obstacles. we're working with guys to do the offroad training down at the Performance Center in Spartanburg.

it's looking like we will have 4 1-2 hour sessions, but we're still working on this detail.

there will also be some demonstrations by the training guys.

friday, july 17 - competition day

we plan to have 4-5 different challenges and you can choose as many as you wish to participate in. we decided this is going to be a run-what-you-brung competition (as long as you bring a BMW) so as to not over complicate it.

we promise not to bust anyone's butts, but there *will* be some challenging challenges.

oh, and the Peformance Center guys are going to be competing, so wear your game face. :evil

seriously, though... this is going to be a lot of fun, very educational and a great opportunity to learn how to handle your bike off-road. so even if you're a novice, you are very much welcome.

more to come....

ian

Mud, anybody?

Maybe a nice mudhole to wallow in. I like the bulldozer thing:). We lacked mud, last year. Tennessee mud should be interesting! Actually, we did have some rain and mud, just before the sun came out and did a nice job drying the course, or we may have been unable to ride, as it was real sticky gumbo, Wyoming mud. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again:). Randy

Maybe a nice mudhole to wallow in. I like the bulldozer thing:). We lacked mud, last year. Tennessee mud should be interesting! Actually, we did have some rain and mud, just before the sun came out and did a nice job drying the course, or we may have been unable to ride, as it was real sticky gumbo, Wyoming mud. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again:). Randy

dont know or think i will be there... just a bit too far to take off work... would be a week trip:cry
Though if i get my retirement on any given saturday or wendsday evening i will be there:deal

Well all remember that stuff:D :deal
muddygs.jpg

here is Randy doing his thing...
randy.jpg

here is the winner last your RUss took second run on g650x for fun
DSC_0490.jpg

Hi Ian,
I'm near Greenville, SC. Let me know how I can help out whether it be at the rally or at the BMW Performance Center (which is about 15 min. from my house).

Michael

Boy, was it gumbo?

That picture of Outback's 1150 on its side was right after a good nights soaking of rain. Daylight brought the sun:) and drying the stuff quite well after several hours to let us ride there for the competition. I remember it well. That second track in the gumbo was mine and the 1200GSA and i barely got out of there upright, just before Outback and his buddy on a KTM, I think, took after it:). It was messy that morning, YES! Gilette brought some good gully washers for us at the rally, we survived:). Randy:D

It was messy that morning, YES! Gilette brought some good gully washers for us at the rally, we survived:). Randy:D

i came up the hill not long after you. wowie... :eek we should have won a prize just for making it *to* the event!

this year, it's a short walk to the track area, and there are some nice grandstands to sit in.

still looking for volunteers... we have about 4 so far, and if we want to have a good couple of days, we're going to need more like 12-14 so that no one has to spend too much time.

i'm buying beers for volunteers! :drink

and... angling for t-shirts. stay tuned!!!

ian

i came up the hill not long after you. wowie... :eek we should have won a prize just for making it *to* the event!

this year, it's a short walk to the track area, and there are some nice grandstands to sit in.

still looking for volunteers... we have about 4 so far, and if we want to have a good couple of days, we're going to need more like 12-14 so that no one has to spend too much time.

i'm buying beers for volunteers! :drink

and... angling for t-shirts. stay tuned!!!

ian

I'm in.

Oh, and thanks for the e-mail, Kev!

Last edited:
Back