• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turn signal issue

J

JALAIMO146577

My left turn signal works fine as left signal swithch bot front and rear signal flahses. Right signal swithed on and all four left and right signal lights flash.

Suggestions please.

My left turn signal works fine as left signal swithch bot front and rear signal flahses. Right signal swithed on and all four left and right signal lights flash.

Suggestions please.

Does your bike have the 4-way flasher switch installed? Sounds to me like a bad turn signal relay.

Do all 4 lights flash dimmer and/or faster than normal? Many times when weird electrical events occur it is because of a bad ground. Most people will check the positive side of a connection and never check the ground. I had a boat trailer that had a broken ground to vehicle wire, was not grounding through the ball mount and all four lights flashed. They were grounding through themselves.

Ralph Sims

1985 K100RT with 75,000 km new to me...does the same thing except the other way....right signal is good, left signal flashes all four. I do have a four way hazard switch which is intermittent (gonna take it apart when I have a chance and fill it full of WD40 and see if cleaning it out will fix it up). I checked the signal relay inside the electrical box and it looks nice and clean, no corrosion. I'm thinking maybe some bad connection inside the 4-way switch is allowing cross currents or something....I dunnno, I'll report back when I find me, hopefully you'll do the same and one of us will solve the problem for both of us.

Tracing the wires

I guess I'll have tear it down remove the plastic and fuel tank and trace down the wiring UGH!

On both models being discussed, remember that the 4-way flash is also initiated by depressing both turn signals at the same time....just an fyi as this might add more weight to the poor ground possibility?

On both models being discussed, remember that the 4-way flash is also initiated by depressing both turn signals at the same time....just an fyi as this might add more weight to the poor ground possibility?

Interesting. Maybe the problem is in the swith or relay or ground as you suspect.

Blinkers solved

My solution was the plug at the rear behind the tailight. I unpluged and cleaned the teminals and replugged it in as voila!

glad you solved your problem....me?...not so much. Is there a way to test the relay? I went through the bike and cleaned all the contacts (positive and negative) for the left turn (which was always causing the 4ways to come on). I disconnected the switch for the 4way - no change, all four still blink when I signal left. I cleaned and reconnected the clip at the back of the bike, the central ground under the tank, ran a jumper wire from the ground on the signal (front and back) to the engine, soaked both the turn signal switch (left bar) and the turn signal cancel button(right bar) in WD40 and worked them fastidiously to ensure good contact inside. I even disconnected the relay and applied power to the harness wires leading to the left signal - when I do that they light independantly of the right signal. I honestly can't think of anything I missed. I popped the lid off the relay and with it connected could see the left side and right side switches popping off and on (right side works independantly, signal left and both work). I can only think that there is some circuit broken or shorted in the board but would really like to know if there is another test I can do to confirm that before mortgaging my house to by a new relay. Any ideas or should I just start sourcing a new relay? Thanks.

Back