• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100LT owners who upgraded their stereo

The speakers on my newly aquired K1100LT are CRAP.

I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to newer speakers *OR* change out the speakers and the radio.

Any suggestions would be of great help - If you have upgraded I'm curious as to the specific brand you upgraded to.

Also, I'm wondering if I upgrade the radio, if I'll be able to use the controls on the handle bar.

As always, thanks in advance! ;)

gsmetal said:
The speakers on my newly aquired K1100LT are CRAP.

I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to newer speakers *OR* change out the speakers and the radio.

Any suggestions would be of great help - If you have upgraded I'm curious as to the specific brand you upgraded to.

Also, I'm wondering if I upgrade the radio, if I'll be able to use the controls on the handle bar.

As always, thanks in advance! ;)
I have a 2003 k1200lt,just turned 7000miles, speakors sound great even with ear plugs???? could your treble be turned down and bass to hi, I love listing to instrumental music like kenny G and guitar and my bike speakor do an excellent job..hope this helps ...matthew

im sorry gsmetal , i miss read your bike model, just noticed, but if you get a response i might upgrade mine also someday also, or just get a headset of high quality so i do not have to crank it up, im probably am a distraction to others at times as it is ...............good luck matthew

The ability to control the radio from the handlebar varies. Sony has a model that allows you to control it wirelessly but you have to buy that seperate. I would recommend a low tech approach first. As Roadcrave suggested, try adjusting your bass and treble controls.

If that does not work, remove the speakers and connect a small headphone speaker in its place. The idea is not for volume but for a fidelity check. So turn the volume way down and stick your ear to the headphone speaker and listen to what it sounds like. If it sounds okay, then replace the speakers. If it sounds the same as the original speakers, put your speakers back in and replace the headunit of the radio. You may want to check eBay or IBMWR marketplace for some used units.

I have a 1996 K1100LT. I replaced the front speakers with high Quality aftermarket speakers. They were ok for a few years, but one is blown again. The best thing I did was get and Autocom and tie in the factory stereo to the autocomm. Should have done it from the start.

Good luck.

The OEM speakers on these bikes are rather notorious for blowing after a relatively short time.

My solution was to get a decent set of helmet speakers driven by the OEM radio. I wear Max Leight earplugs, and can hear the radio through them.

The speakers I have are J&M type, not through an Autocom unit.

I've had these helemt speakers for 7 years and they still sound great. Much better than the OEM fairing speakers -- and not disruptive to other riders/drivers.

Chuck DeSantis

Back