• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

check out your valve stem

danielroth

don't think
these are pics of the original german mounted tire and valve stem.
i do not suggest riding you bike if your valve stem is in a similar position.

Changing stem should be done with the tire each time ideally...Why?
I didn't and when checking the pressure one day the entire brass insert left the rubber part and the tire deflated in seconds. No prior warning, leaking etc.
Scared the crap out of me.
A tire shop recently told me that that was common for a while. Some stems were recalled but how would anyone know.
I ended up installing all metal ones from mag wheels for piece of mind. Sure you need a bit more balance weight but...........

Paul Glaves covered valve stem replacement in and ON article. For those who do their own tire changes an oft overlooked necessity. Most, if not all motorcycle shops, do this when they mount your new tire. To purchase one with this "lurking"(per your photos) is scary indeed!

For clarity sake, how do we conclude this is the "original German mounted tire and valve stem"?

The photo is certainly not of a showroom new bike. Look at the spokes and the brake disk. The bike has some - maybe not a huge number - but some miles on it.

If it came off the ship this way then somebody at the factory, and the dealer tech who set it up and checked the tire pressure before delivery, and the new owner who checked his own tire pressure the next day, etc, all blew it.

For clarity sake, how do we conclude this is the "original German mounted tire and valve stem"?

The photo is certainly not of a showroom new bike. Look at the spokes and the brake disk. The bike has some - maybe not a huge number - but some miles on it.

If it came off the ship this way then somebody at the factory, and the dealer tech who set it up and checked the tire pressure before delivery, and the new owner who checked his own tire pressure the next day, etc, all blew it.

+ it has an accessory valve cap on it

nobody said it was a new bike.
it is the original because it has never been changed and was on the rim when the bike was bought and rolled off the showroom floor. thus, an ORIGINAL german mounted tire and valve stem.
could it be possible that the cap was added later?

Back