Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: bosch oil filter

Oh on another note; Tips for to make life easier, take and mark the back side of your torque to specs or use a mirror, I purched two sears torque wrenches on sale and removed the rivots that hold the scale on both and made one with a scale top and bottom. Also use a mirror to make sure the old o=ring came out with the oil filter you might find this- oil filter o ring on old oil filter and another still suck on block, this has happened to me, the dealor did the oil change prior to me changing the oil 3000 miles ago, go figure just cant trust anyone on your bikes,,,,matthew

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfelton View Post
    Really you should be using a torque wrench to specs, nothing worse than an over tightened oil filter that wont release or one coming loose,,, at my motorcycle shop ive seen both and it is not good, Just my two cents worth, Have a Merry Christmas to all out there,,,matthew
    The torque for these oil filters by BMW is 11 NM. One could seat a filter, turn it a half turn and see what the torque goes up to. I may do that next time.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Can anyone recommend an affordable torque wrench that can accurately measure a torque this small (8 lb-ft)?
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I was going to mention that issue...
    Some years ago, I bought a 1/4 inch SnapOn for small torques.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Can anyone recommend an affordable torque wrench that can accurately measure a torque this small (8 lb-ft)?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2696

8 ft. lbs. = 96 in. lbs. right in the most accurate part of this wrenches range.

Did you get the bulb kit?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Hi Lee,

Awesome, thanks! Decent price as well - now we just have to start a thread about Beam vs. Click

We have agreement on the bulb kit, just have to paypal off some dinero
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Beam over click is an easy one- with a beam you can see and feel the torque. with the beam you wait for the click. also with the beam scale, they can be compared and calibrated more easily. Case closed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS; Just put two torque wrenches together and check accuracy

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I seem to remember either a thread on comparing the two types or maybe it was an actual article years ago in the ON? Compared several brands and levels of torque wrenches with known resistance. I seem to recall that the beam style was superior, but several high end clickers did well, too, but that was several years ago. I seem to remember the tester may have also compared going through a knuckle/u-joint extension as well? Did not find the thread when I searched so probably an article long ago.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

3 Red Bricks
    Hi Lee,
    now we just have to start a thread about Beam vs. Click
    They each have their benefits and drawbacks.

For most applications the benefits of click out weighs beam. Easy to use, quick (especially for multiple bolts of the same torque), easier to use where viewing the scale is a problem, accurate enough for most applications (depends more on the quality/price of the individual wrench).

Beam is very handy to "sneak up" on a given torque. Beam is better for checking Breakaway torque. Quicker for multiple torques on a few bolts.

Not an open and shut discussion. Use the right tool for the job and the one you are most comfortable with.

ANY accurate torque wrench is better than Harley"s method of "tighten it until just before it breaks" or "tighten it until it strips then back off 1/4 turn".

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

A 3rd option - not cheap - but IMHO better than either beam/clicker - is the electronic torque wrenches that use a load-cell to measure the torque. No need to back off the setting like a clicker (for storage), Snap-On's buzz and vibrate when they get to the right torque, my Sears buzzes and lights up. They also will remember the actual torque you get to (which is typically a few units of measurement higher than what you set it to..)

Did some testing of the Sears one I bought - end to end against a beam wrench. Accuracy was within 1-2 ft/lbs of the beam wrench (which is also within the reading error of the beam wrench.)

Other great part - no need to do any conversions - mine does in/lbs Nm's and ft/lbs with the press of a button.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

kayseventyfive
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    I've always assumed that the hex extending from the K&N filters wouldn't clear the oil pan filter access plate on Klassic K's. Do they fit?
    I also asked this question, and Ragman responded in the thread below that the K&N 163 had clearance:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....=filter&page=3

And, do you have a link for this Lisle oil filter wrench?
    Sadly, it's out of production.

Fortunately, the only stuck filter I had on my K was when I bought it. I certainly agree with all on proper tightening and lubing the seal eliminating stuck filters.

kayseventyfive
    - now we just have to start a thread about Beam vs. Click
    A clicker has the ability to use a click without watching the scale. The ratchet feature is handy, too.

A beam wrench allows a better feel, and makes bolt stretch much easier to detect.

However, a click torque wrench needs to be backed off completely when not being used to prevent the spring from taking a set and affecting accuracy.

A good beam torque wrench stays accurate for life. Clickers less so.

BOXERR
    Everyone has mentioned the Bosch filter, has anyone here used the AC PF53 filter on there Beemer? Boys on R1150R forum seem to like them.

It is a smaller filter than the BMW/Bosch, so need another tool.

I service both my R1150R, and a K75 for a bloke. Same filter.
    I recently got a Bosch, and AC off Ebay to try.

I've been using the AC-Delco PF-53 for the last 10 years or so on my K75. No issues,
    bike seems happy.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up