Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: bosch oil filter

BUDDINGGEEZER
    The Bosch oil filter is made by Purolator, used to be made by Champion Labs. It is one of the best filters money can buy.

Ralph Sims

filter wrench

I have used fram filters in the past and the wrench slips.So i cleaned the inside of wrench with brakeclean and put a small dab of silicone to hold a 1/4-20 flat washer and let dry. [i put the washer on a flat side of the flilter wrench] Monte My flatwasher idea did'nt work so well this time. So i used the sheet metel screws and it did the trick! mMonte
    Last edited by 36423; 02-04-2010 at 10:52 PM.

RAGMAN
    kseventyfive,

I installed the K&N. Fits fine. No interfernce with cover on the pan.

The # is KN163. $13.99.
    Can be found at; http://www.pashnit.com/product/kn_oil_filters.html

May be less expensive elsewhere, I don't know.

I'm going to run it with Mobil 1 20/50 and see how that works out.

Thanx for the link. He didn't have one at this time. Maybe the K&N will do the trick.

Hope that helps,.
    Ragman

Mudbug
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think the number of flutes is different. I'd go to an auto parts store or big box store and buy the size wrench designed to fit that filter. Get a metal one - the plastic ones won't fit up into the sump. And, you may need to grind a few ridges off the outside diameter of the wrench.

As an alternative - drill a couple of holes in your BMW wrench and drive sheet metal screws up through the filter into the filter can. Messy - but it works. Drill the holes closer to the outside circumference than the center for good leverage.
    I have two oil filter wrenches. One is the expensive BMW wrench which is a sloppy fit on the Bosch 72161 filter. The second is a steel oil filter wrench sold by Drag Specialties that is a tight fit on the Bosch 72161 filter.

Neither worked. Neither would budge the oil filter. Thanks to Paul Glaves sheet metal screw suggestion, I was able to remove the oil filter. Even then it was a very careful touch and go. That thing was on to tight.

What a poor design.

Glad you could get it off, but i'm curious about how "that thing was on too tight" = "what a poor design".
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Mudbug
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Glad you could get it off, but i'm curious about how "that thing was on too tight" = "what a poor design".
    Burying the oil filter in the sump so only certain wrenches can access it only from the end is a very poor design, tight or not.

i see your point. that is a downside to the design. greater protection to the filter is a plus- especially if you're riding a GS bike (same location on the 11xx & 1200 oilhead bikes).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

RAGMAN
    My Bosch was installed too tight(by me).

I tried most of the above solutions with no luck.

Finally dropped the pan and grabbed the filter with big water pump pliers and got it off.

I then installed a K&N filter. It has a nut welded on top.

Worked good. I had a couple of Bosch filters and used one.

This time I didn't tighten it too much.

Guess I'll find out next oil change.

Ragman

I've probably done 25+ classic K oil changes in my life and never had a problem with the filter being too tight. Two quick points....

Filter cup removers vary widely in fit. My good friend recently bought a K75C and I gave her a BMW oil filter kit I had laying around. We took the filter to Autozone to find the correct filter cup, and even in the same stack of the same cups the fit varied widely. Very snug is perfect so it will hold the filter tightly when slid on - loose is bad. It is actually a nice filter cup (especially for $6), the fit is better and the sides are deeper, providing a better and more stable grip, than the $20 one I bought at my local BMW dealer many years ago.

When putting the new one on your classic K, put the filter in the filter cup, oil the rubber gasket (fill filter with oil at your discretion, I always do), screw in hand tight to snug, insert ratchet and turn 1/4 revolution. That is it, you'll want to tighten more, don't do it!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    i've probably done 25+ classic k oil changes in my life and never had a problem with the filter being too tight. Two quick points....

Filter cup removers vary widely in fit. My good friend recently bought a k75c and i gave her a bmw oil filter kit i had laying around. We took the filter to autozone to find the correct filter cup, and even in the same stack of the same cups the fit varied widely. Very snug is perfect so it will hold the filter tightly when slid on - loose is bad. It is actually a nice filter cup (especially for $6), the fit is better and the sides are deeper, providing a better and more stable grip, than the $20 one i bought at my local bmw dealer many years ago.

When putting the new one on your classic k, put the filter in the filter cup, oil the rubber gasket (fill filter with oil at your discretion, i always do), screw in hand tight to snug, insert ratchet and turn 1/4 revolution. That is it, you'll want to tighten more, don't do it!
    +1
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Mudbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    When putting the new one on your classic K,... screw in hand tight to snug, insert ratchet and turn 1/4 revolution. That is it, you'll want to tighten more, don't do it!
    I agree. It is so easy to tighten it too much using your socket wrench.

I bought a BMW oil filter for the K bikes, flying brick, and tried the fit on my expensive BMW oil filter wrench. It was a good tight, no slop, fit. So, I bought three more from Bob's BMW. There may be other oil filters that are cheaper, but it is not worth the hassle getting it off if it is tightened too much, an easy thing to do.

kayseventyfive
    I think part of the problem here is outsourcing and counterfeiting. Both are the same thing, one approved, one unapproved. The end result is often a bad fit due to slight differences in dimensions.

There are two sure ways to go:

1. A K&N filter with a hex. The hex is foolproof, and they are pretty good filters, unlike their air filters.

2. A self-tightening filter wrench. I use a Lisle spiral self-tightening spring filter wrench which fits all.

Has anyone tried one of the other self-tightening wrenches?

I've always assumed that the hex extending from the K&N filters wouldn't clear the oil pan filter access plate on Klassic K's. Do they fit? And, do you have a link for this Lisle oil filter wrench? With the tight clearances between the pan and filter, I've only seen the thin BMW filter cap end wrench fit (or one modified to be similarly skinny).
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Call me crazy, but in 40 years or so, I have used BMW filters and BMW filter wrenches (where applicable)...and never an issue...never had to formulate a plan...or think about it.
    I tighten about 1/2 turn after the gasket touches a bit.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Really you should be using a torque wrench to specs, nothing worse than an over tightened oil filter that wont release or one coming loose,,, at my motorcycle shop ive seen both and it is not good, Just my two cents worth, Have a Merry Christmas to all out there,,,matthew