• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bosch oil filter

D

Dan505

Wondering if anybody has had problems removing the bosch 72161 from a K bike,went in & tightened ok with the BMW oil filter wrench. I can't seem to get a good enough grip with the BMW tool to get it out. Any suggestions? thanks

Wondering if anybody has had problems removing the bosch 72161 from a K bike,went in & tightened ok with the BMW oil filter wrench. I can't seem to get a good enough grip with the BMW tool to get it out. Any suggestions? thanks

I think the number of flutes is different. I'd go to an auto parts store or big box store and buy the size wrench designed to fit that filter. Get a metal one - the plastic ones won't fit up into the sump. And, you may need to grind a few ridges off the outside diameter of the wrench.

As an alternative - drill a couple of holes in your BMW wrench and drive sheet metal screws up through the filter into the filter can. Messy - but it works. Drill the holes closer to the outside circumference than the center for good leverage.

I had a similar problem with one Purolator filter...went on fine, but wrench spun on the filter when it came time to remove it. I bought a filter wrench that had 3 fingers on it that would tighten on the filter when torque was applied. The fingers had plastic pads that I removed to fit the wrench into the "K-Hole" in the crankcase, and it was still a snug fit, but it worked like a charm.

I've made more trips for tools since I bought the K75.

sheet metal screws worked fine, a bit messy. I'll refine my technique for the next time. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

sheet metal screws worked fine, a bit messy. I'll refine my technique for the next time. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

When I know I have to do the sheet metal screw thing, I make a hole with a sharp punch and let the oil drain out first.

Another possible solution.. add some sandpaper to the inside of the filter wrench where it engages the filter. it usually will "snug" up the fit and provide the additional traction needed.

Sometimes the "cause" of having difficulty removing oil filters is "over tightening".

Once a filter makes contact, you really only need 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn to provide adequate gasket compression.

Also, a gentle reminder... lube the gasket on both sides prior to install.

Another possible solution.. add some sandpaper to the inside of the filter wrench where it engages the filter. it usually will "snug" up the fit and provide the additional traction needed.

Sometimes the "cause" of having difficulty removing oil filters is "over tightening".

Once a filter makes contact, you really only need 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn to provide adequate gasket compression.

He did say that he put it on with the filter wrench. I notice that the Amsoil filter does not have any flutes on it...smooth and round.

If you are inclined toward precision, most light aircraft engines with a spin-on filter call for 17 ft lbs on a lubed filter.

I've heard that sometimes a rag fitted inside the BMW filter will fill up the space to stop slippage when removing an un-co-operative oil filter.

I recently bought a six pack of 72161 filters to use on my R1100. Since the R1100 and my K75 use the same OEM BMW filter, it seems like I could use the Bosch 72161 in the K also. However, the Bosch comes with an external vinyl label and I am a bit concerned about putting that label into the K75. Has anyone had a bad experience with how well the Bosch label resists coming loose in a Klassic-K ?

take the labels off before installing.
They will peel off and use some goo gone or wd-40 to remove any residue (glue) left on the filter.
The hot engine oil will disolve the label into your engine.

To use the BMW oil filter wrench with other filters, take green painters tape and run a few strips around the inside of the filter cup, will make it snug enough to use.

take the labels off before installing.
They will peel off and use some goo gone or wd-40 to remove any residue (glue) left on the filter.
The hot engine oil will disolve the label into your engine.

To use the BMW oil filter wrench with other filters, take green painters tape and run a few strips around the inside of the filter cup, will make it snug enough to use.

I just picked up one of these filters from my local dealer who is always very conscientious about things like this. I asked about the label and he said it's not supposed to be a problem, and referred me to Bob's BMW web site where they are also for sale: http://store.bobsbmw.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=72161. There's nothing there about the label being a problem when installed in a K-bike.

However, I did remove the label and cleaned off the small bit of goo before installing it. For the price difference it's a pretty good deal.

I just picked up one of these filters from my local dealer who is always very conscientious about things like this. I asked about the label and he said it's not supposed to be a problem, and referred me to Bob's BMW web site where they are also for sale: http://store.bobsbmw.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=72161. There's nothing there about the label being a problem when installed in a K-bike.

Ya know it's little tips like this, I just paid $18.00 for a filter for my K1100LT (but that included the o ring and crush washer) at my local un-named BMW dealership that gets me all choked up about cameradamy and fellowship on this forum. sniff sniff :buds

When you order the filters from Beemerboneyard, he pre-removes the labels for you and includes them in the box. Nice touch. And his prices on a"six pack" of filters is VERY competative ($39.95/six).

:dance :dance :dance

Mike must like you better. My 6-pack came with all the labels pre-installed.

breyfogle, you should send a fruit basket and appologize for any previous misunderstandings. Mine came without labels and it was my first order with them. He didn't even know me :stick

Bosch Oil Filter 72161

www.rockauto.com

$3.63 each

The above link has the best price for the Bosch oil filter I've found on the web.

The lable easily peels off with minimal residue.

So far, I have not had removal problems, but it could happen. Then, I will drag out my Lisle coil spring wrench. I have a pair of them, and they NEVER fail, as long as the shell has not been damaged.

OilFilterWrench.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a thought...

Say you were going to buy a BMW and the bike costing $20,000, cost $7 less at a BMW shop across town from the one you were in. Same bike, same everything, same dealer, different outlet. Would you travel across town to get the cheaper one?
Now say you could buy a $17 filter for $7 cheaper at a BMW shop across town from the one you were in. Same filter, same everything, same dealer, different outlet. Would you travel across town to save the $7?

What's different here? Anything?

Back