• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hexhead - shifting - into 1st from neutral

I have been able to eliminate the 1st to 2nd gear clunk most of the time by adjusting my clutch timing and lentgh of pull depending on how easy or hard I am accelerating. Brisk clutch and shift action above 4500 rpm almost always eliminates the clunk too.

This also happens to me when down shifting but I say "loud grears save lives!"

As Don illustrated in post #2, technique is important.

As for upshifts: instead of pulling in the clutch and then moving the shift lever, I pull in the clutch lever at the same time I'm putting upward pressure on the shifter. As the clutch plates disengage, the driving force through the transmission (which tends to keep the shift dogs engaged) reduces, and the box slips into the next gear. I aim to shift with the clutch lever pulled only halfway, and almost always succeed.

Don't chop the throttle as you shift up. Rolling off the throttle only a little makes the clutch reengagement after shiftiing much smoother. On my bike, even when in good tune, closing the throttle causes the rpms to drop precipitiously; even bikes with better FI than mine shift more smoothly while maintaining some throttle opening. I'll probably get flamed for this, but on city streets, I often make the 1-2 shift at 2500 rpm or less.

As to downshifts: you'll need to pull the clutch level all the way. Because the lower gear requires more revs for the same speed, you should slightly open the throttle as you downshift. With practice, I can now shift down smoothly and silently into any gear. No clunks! I enjoy the finesse, and I'm sure it's easier on the machinery, too.

New-be question?

"If you're sitting at a light waiting to go - and you've shifted into neutral while waiting (we won't go into why this isn't a good idea..)"

Why is this not recommended? I do it all the time on my '94 RSL. Thought it would be bad for the clutch to leave it engaged through the long stop lights in SoCal.

Any help?:ear

BoydRT

"If you're sitting at a light waiting to go - and you've shifted into neutral while waiting (we won't go into why this isn't a good idea..)"

Why is this not recommended? I do it all the time on my '94 RSL. Thought it would be bad for the clutch to leave it engaged through the long stop lights in SoCal.

BoydRT

It's not bad for the clutch, but it could be bad for you if a car is sliding into your rear end because the driver was texting or whatever. The idea is you can pop the clutch and try to get out of the way. If you are in neutral you lose precious time shifting.
Since I have been rear ended twice ( fortunately in a car both times) I am prepared to move if I need to. Leave room between you and the car in front so you can make the move if necessary.

Since the question was asked, I'll give some more detail:

1) I was on a 4 lane road, double yellow. The double yellow had a break in it to allow for left hand turns into a restaurant. (For those of you in the area, this was the highway that goes through Townsend, TN toward the Foot Hills Parkway exit.)

The speed limit there is about 35 I think, but it's not uncommon for traffic to be going 55, despite the heavy police presence.

I was in the left lane, at the double yellow break, waiting to make a left into the parking lot. Behind me was a fast approaching SUV or Van, can't remember now. I was saying in my head, "OK, he sees me" over and over, but finally it became obvious that he did not see me and was going to plow right into me. I was flashing my brake lights furiously, no help. (I've since added the BMW auxiliary light.) I had the bike in gear, clutch in, as taught in the MSF class. Before that class, I'd have been in neutral, "saving my clutch". I couldn't turn left due to traffic, so I quickly let the clutch out and sped off.

The movement of my motorcycle must have made me apparent to the driver as she (I could see her face now) slammed on her brakes. She skidded right through where I was and if I were still there, I might well be dead. She obviously did not have anti-lock brakes by the skid marks and smoke.

So, I don't care about 'clutch wear' any more. I'm much more concerned about body wear, specifically my body flying into the air from a 50 mph rear end incident.

Keep the bike in gear, and keep your eyes open. Practice a quick take off once in a while. If you drop the clutch and stall the bike in a panic, it won't be pretty.

2) Number two is kind of funny. I was riding the Blue Ridge and I came around a bend and saw a large dog in the road. I thought, "What kind of moron lets his dog run loose on the parkway!" Well, no one, because it was not a dog, it was a BEAR CUB!

I stopped quickly about 75 feet away, in gear. I was admiring the cub when it dawned on me that Mom might be ready to jump out and stomp my skinny butt, so I dropped the clutch to take off and get out of there. Well, I had stopped so suddenly that I didn't realize I was in second gear and stalled the RT. So, practice this stuff once in a while. You never know when you might get jumped by a PO'd bear Mom.

BoydRT

While RoboRider and alanrd are correct, don't let their advice turn into a hard and fast rule that you use without thinking. The goal is to be aware of your surroundings and know when shifting into neutral doesn't increase your risk vs when it may.

Example: when surrounded by stopped cars at a stoplight that experience tells you is going to be red for another 2 minutes.... go ahead and shift into neutral if you want to give your hand a rest. :whistle

I agree. In my previous post, I was saying that once a car stops behind me and protects my rear, I will sometimes go to neutral. Also, you always need to leave room between you and the car in front. Being in gear is no help if you have no where to run!

You are entirely correct, Robo. Be sure to leave yourself an out and watch your six until it's covered.
:usa

Ride Safe. Keep the Rubber Down!

Last edited:
my method

I put a little force on the shift lever with the clutch in. I slowly let the clutch out until it falls into gear. I immediately pull the clutch in again and then proceed as usual. Easy peasy.

Shifting to neutral at stoplights.

Thanks guys, great advice from all! I'm a little to trusting I guess and it could very well bite me in the ass...literally! Situational awareness is what we call it in the Navy.

Boyd RT:wave

Back