• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cylinder head leaking

H

helipilot04

I have a 72 75/5, and I'm in need of some advice.. I want to take the head off and see where the leak is coming from. I dont have the BMW special tools tho. Has anyone tried to take the finned exhaust pipe nut off without the correct wrench?..

Thanks
Bob

I have a 72 75/5, and I'm in need of some advice.. I want to take the head off and see where the leak is coming from. I dont have the BMW special tools tho. Has anyone tried to take the finned exhaust pipe nut off without the correct wrench?..

Thanks
Bob

Yes... Lots have tried it and every one of them has undoubtly damaged the exhaust nuts.

If youre going to work on an Airhead, the exhaust nut wrench is an indespensable tool.

I have had good luck in the past using a large strap wrench as long as the nut isn't too corroded or too tight. I now own the correct wrench (good investment as noted by Mymindsok).

Nut replacement should include anti-sieze compound and just a snug fit (no need to crank down on it).

Good luck!

Marley

Well I guess I will buy one, not a problem, just wanted to see if there was a good way..

One more question for those of you who have reinstalled the head. Do I need a (the) rocker arm alignment tool as shown in this post. http://www.pbase.com/dqmohan/prtseals

Thanks

Probably best to see where leak is before removing the head.

Clean head and cyl exterior

apply talcum powder or similar fine powder product

run briefly and leak source will be obvious

I found the leak. Need some advice in how to solve this. The leak is where the pushrod tubes meet the head (outboard of the block) both sides. I think it is due to the fact a few fins were broken off and pushed into the tubes. Can I replace the tubes, or the seals? Or do I need to replace the whole head / jug?

Bob

Depends on what your needs require

If just want to plug the leak to get by without removing the heads -
clean best you can and force red silicone and thread wrap up into
leaking area - there is little or no pressure on the oil in these tubes
since they are only gravity drain from head back to crankcase.

Brake cleaner followed by silicone smear will stop leaking pushrod
rubbers at the bottom for quite some time - never tried it on the
top of the tubes but probably would work. Keep the tube of silicone
and your homemade driver tool in your bike toolkit.

If you are mr. fussy and neat freak then must remove the heads -
drive out the tubes - make the hole round - force tapered round
drift into tube ends to enlarge slightly and then reinsert. Memory
may not be perfect but did something like this on older model many
years ago.

Back