• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650 cs or gs?

C

chumphrey

I'm looking at the possibilities between the f650 cs and gs. Being of the female gender, fit is one of my priorities. I'm 5'4 and 31" inseam.

After talking to a dealer who only has the gs on the showroom floor (can be obtained in a low version), I'm wondering why the cs is considered the lesser bike? Can the cs be obtained in the low version as well?

I've been told that the cs handles curvy mountain roads nicer than the gs. My purpose for the bike would be highway cruising for the most part. Any comments?

chumphrey said:
I'm wondering why the cs is considered the lesser bike? Can the cs be obtained in the low version as well?

I've been told that the cs handles curvy mountain roads nicer than the gs. My purpose for the bike would be highway cruising for the most part. Any comments?

According to who? The CS a "lesser" bike is akin to saying a R90S is "lesser" than (more lesser?:cat) than an R80GS.
It all depend on what you want it for. The CS is a city/commuter bike and as such has some innovative features (belt drive/funky storage options). The GS is a Dual Sport bike, equally at home on the commute as on a fire road in your favorite National Park. Not to mention, totally capable of kicking some serious sport bike butt in the right hands. The CS OTOH, SHOULDN'T be taken off road as a small rock in the belt could cause serious damage.
Then there's the DAKAR, which is an even more dirt road (notice I didn't say OFF-ROAD*) oriented version of the GS, but based on your (self imposed, imho) concern over seat height, I don't think you'd like it. FWIW, I have a 32" inseam and a normal F650 (the "Greater-est" of all F's) fits me fine, as does an even taller K75. Seat height is something you get used to. Don't settle for the lowered vesion, and all it's compromises, before you're absolutely positive you really need it.

*Only us serious wackoes that reside over on F650.com think the Fs are "Dirt Bikes".

Rode a GS for a couple of days

I rode a GS for a couple of days while my bike was getting a 12k tune up last year. I don't have your height restrictions (I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs), but I was impressed with the get up and go. I took it out on the highway for about 25-30 miles and rode it in traffic. The fun part with the GS is that you can keep going when the pavement turns to gravel. I didn't take it out trail hopping, but I did do some dirt/gravel roads. I live in the country and it made the transition from paved to not paved in fine fashion.
If you are doing all pavement, then the CS would probably be the way to go.

Re: Re: F650 cs or gs?

Rad said:
Have you seen a CS in person? I'd rather walk:D

Yeah, but you can do this.....

4713905-M.jpg

The girl is in Montana... I'm thinking that there may just be a dirt road or two around. I'd take a long hard look at the GS and see what could be done about the seat height.

RW

Re: Re: Re: F650 cs or gs?

KBasa said:
Yeah, but you can do this.....

4713905-M.jpg

I musta misspoke...I'm sure I meant to say, ÔÇ£daymn, that's a gooooood look'n bikeÔÇØ:clap

F650GSL

My wife just sold her F650GSL. She has a small inseam as well and she was able to flat foot it. I was able to get it up to 90MPH+ on a racetrack with all sorts of stuff dragging.

I took both the CS and GS out for a test ride, the biggest reason we did not go with the CS was the belt drive for going off road. Also there are/were less aftermarket options.

Either way you will have fun.

They goofed when they made the CS. If it had the underseat exhaust of the GS, a naked tail cowl and a flat psuedo tank alot more of the youngsters would have bought one. But it still is a fine motorcycle.

MarkF

This all has been of great help, thanks. Yes, as observed in one of the posts, I'm in Montana and would like to be able to do some dirt roads as well ...very perceptive :cool:

Also the mention of the belt is a bit of discouragement in that same department. The onboard ice cooler for brews is a GREAT feature! I have'nt yet looked directly at the cs, but am planning a trip to a dealer to see a gs very soon. The dealer says he "doesn't have the cs on his showroom floor but would order one if I wanted to buy the bike." That made me wonder why he chose not to have a cs there on display. I've been looking at them online (cs) and they seem eye appealing on screen.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm hoping for some more input from all you out there before I see my nearest dealer (2 hours away from where I live.) ...Cheers

Could be a good excuse to do a little road trip down to Denver! 2 dealers and plenty of bikes to look at!

RW

chumphrey said:
The onboard ice cooler for brews is a GREAT feature!

Trust me, saddlebags can work as beer coolers as well, plus you can pack more in there. I know from experience. One case in the left saddle bag (cans) 4 fifths of fine adult beverage in the right. Whoops that was the RT at Spokane.

Get the GS

Hey chumphrey,
With Montana as your stompin' grounds, take a really hard look at the GS. While the CS will be a GAS on a twisty rd(my 13yr old son & proved it in Red River), the GS is by far the choice for your selection of dirt roads. Lowering is an option, and one you can undo if you choose. Long term it's the GS.
2001 F650 Dakar
1998 F650 Classic (sold)

>Lowering is an option, and one you can undo if you choose.

That was true of the Aprilia built Funduro/ST version, but the GS story is a little more complicated.
There ARE lowering options available, (raising the forks in the frame, lower seat, etc.) but with the GS, you can also order a factory lowered version (GSL) that ISN'T undo-able. (Diffierent shock/linkage in the rear, different spring rates and most important LESS SUSPENSION TRAVEL) I'm sure there's more in the F650.com FAQs.

But like I said before Chumphrey, ride a non lowered one first and make sure you need it.

Living in similar environs as you, I wouldn't really consider the CS due to its belt drive (and therefore lack of dirt road ability). Ride the GS before you order a lowered one.

Back