• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Switching to Euro bars on R90/6

mcoulter57

I just bought some low profile bars on ebay for my bike, how hard is it to get the grips and all the switches off my originals?

switch - swap

Easy.
With, perhaps, the exception of the clutch-side grip -
if it's an old machine with original grips,
it may be reluctant and need some 'persuasion'.

Unless your 'e-bay bars' are 22mm, and NOT the usual 7/8" ...
fitting the stock controls onto the new bars might be more problematic
than removing them from the old ones.
Sometimes 7/8" bars are a tight fit for the controls castings.
Sometimes, they just won't fit ÔÇô
w/o Re-WORKING the O.D. of the bar, or the I.D. of the casting.
7/8" bars with CHROME are the worst.

Don't lose the small "wedge" that is in the clutch-side casting.

If the swap is from "US" bars to euro type ÔÇô
clutch and throttle cables may now be excessively long & flop about unnecessarily.
Cables fitted to S & RS bars from the factory were shorter versions.

If the grips are glued on, you'd better order up some new ones.

OTOH, if theyre just slid in place, you can get them off with compressed air.

glue ?

If the grips are glued on, you'd better order up some new ones...

Glue ? from the factory ?

A table knife or some such thin blade tool can be slipped between and worked carefully round to loosen the "grip" of the grip.

I've always installed grips with liquid dish soap ÔÇô after years it does seem like glue ...

Come on Vanzen...

I never said anything about the factory (!) but then again, only once have I ever had a bike that arrived with the original grips in place and those I reinstalled those using the old CocaCola trick.

I still stand by the trick of removing them using comperssed air but if you have cut the ends off for bar ends, it won't work. Just ask mt how I know... Loll!!

get a grip

Come on Vanzen...

I never said anything about the factory (!) but then again, only once have I ever had a bike that arrived with the original grips in place and those I reinstalled those using the old CocaCola trick.

Mostly original grips in my experience of restoring "barn-finds",
most often just to replace them with fresh new ones.
If they're not stock,
my first course of action will be to slit them end -to-end with an an x-acto ...
quite easily removed at that point.

I still stand by the trick of removing them using comperssed air but if you have cut the ends off for bar ends, it won't work. Just ask mt how I know... Loll!!

Compressed air works a treat ÔÇô for those with a compressor
(and I would be one of those)

I got the bars on today. They went on really easy. I loosened the switches then pulled the left grip off. I used a little wd40 and it came off. The only problem I've had is that when I got the new ones on the cables were a little long. I started moving them around and got it too look good. When I tightened it all down the brake seemed really tight. I can't seem to get it to loosen up any ideas? Besides that, I love the new look! I'll post a pic tomorrow.

BMW specifies--and provides--different cables to correspond with Euro bars.

They should be considered part of the conversion.

I just did the same procedure. A Euro cable set from Capital Cycle was $76. I think having fresh cables is nice and they are shorter. If you adjust the R brake at the master cylinder it should loosen up.

Sorry, I meant the Front brake at the master cylinder. At first I had the longer cable on and it pinched the brake, but slackening the adjustment almost all the way solved it.

cables

BMW specifies--and provides--different cables to correspond with Euro bars.

They should be considered part of the conversion.

If the swap is from "US" bars to euro type ÔÇô
clutch and throttle cables may now be excessively long & flop about unnecessarily.
Cables fitted to S & RS bars from the factory were shorter versions.

I'd bet the brake problem is related to cable length & routing.
Maybe you will be able to squeeze cables that are the "wrong application & just too long" into place and get them to work ...
maybe not.

Be VERY CAREFUL that the "wrong application & just too long" throttle cable(s) aren't binding ÔÇô
otherwise turning the handlebars may affect engine speed ÔÇô not a good thing.

I will suggest that if BMW could get one size cable to fit and work well on all models ...
that they would not have bothered with the extra expense of producing different lengths to suit.

I think the only cable that seems a little long is the clutch. I've got it slung down a little bit until I can get a shorter one ordered, but after tinkering with it the clutch has softened up. The brake I got loose by checking under the tank and just resetting the tension. All of the others look to be in good shape, a couple of zip ties to hold the electrical stuff in place and I'm in business.

by the way how do you post multiple pics?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 98
Got my box from Max BMW. Put on new clutch and throttle cables, new tank emblems, knee pads, new reflectors, and napoleon mirrors. Loving this bike!

Attachments

• (null)_2_2.jpg
    (null)_2_2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back