• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve adjustment on R1200rt

B

bmw4life

Hi,
I am getting ready to do my valve adjustments on my r1200rt by myself. I have read the the instruction in this forum and have a copy of JVB CD on how to do this.
I just have one question. Do i need to drain my motor oil prior to opening my valve covers?
The only reason I ask this is because I just did my oil change and had only had put 1600 miles on it.
Any advice is appreciated.

No need to drain the oil.

Note that when you take the valve covers off there will be a small amount of oil that does come out. Very small.

When you put it back togother make sure the gaskets are in correctly and the covers tight and you'll be all set

Reminder - you only need to check the rocker arm gap - no need to do it unless out of spec.

Last edited:
A reminder...you will need to ADD a small amount of oil to replace what is lost when removing the head covers. Add slow and check level in sight glass (I run bike, turn off, and wait several minutes prior to checking level).

First valve adjustment

I just did the 12K maintenance on my R12RT. Prior to this, the dealer had done the 600 mile and 6K mile tune ups. I've done tune up work on cars before so I have some experience, but this was my first full "tune up" on a bike.

Before I started the valve adjustment, the RT ran OK, but it was a little rougher than what I remember it when it was new. It always started, but when it was cool outside, it started hard.

When I started the valve adjustment, all the valves and one of the rocker arms were at the upper end of the allowable tolerance shown in the maintenance DVD. Since the dealer did the last adjustment, I don't know if they adjusted them and they loosened up or if the dealer mechanic just said close enough.

I adjusted the rocker arms and valves as close as I could get them to the nominal gap listed on the maintenance DVD. The bike feels much smoother and starts much easier. Not sure if it was related, but when put the carb sticks on the bike to check throttle body sync, they tracked right up and down the throttle range.

Just curious if anyone else had a similar experience with a difference in smoothness/performance between just "being in spec" and and adjusting to nominal.

Just curious if anyone else had a similar experience with a difference in smoothness/performance between just "being in spec" and and adjusting to nominal.
Being an anal sort - I tend to shoot for perfection, and yes - there is a difference between a perfect anal valve adjustment, and a "good-enough" one.

Guys,
Thanks for the update.
Additional questions 1) Do you valve adjsutments wjen the engine is cold or warm/hot?
2) I am also planning to do throtle body Sync. Do I need to remove the plastic (tuperware)?

Thanks

We all hope for the perfectly anal BMW technician to work on our bike, and dread the perfectly anal IRS agent reviewing our return. ;)

Guys,
Thanks for the update.
Additional questions 1) Do you valve adjsutments wjen the engine is cold or warm/hot?
2) I am also planning to do throtle body Sync. Do I need to remove the plastic (tuperware)?

Thanks

Valve adjustment must be done when the engine is cold. Throttoel body sync needs to be done warm. For my sync I had to pull the tupperware off to get to where I need to plug the twin max. So when I do my service I usually do the cold stuff first (tire pressure, valve adjustment). Then go for a 15 minute ride followed by Sync and Oil Change. It's all real easy to do. Just take your time

I would not do it if the engine is real cold, but it does not need to be operating Temp. Helped a friend of mine do his in his carport at 34 degrees and we warmed it a tad...we did this on the advice of BMW shop mechanic. You bring one to them and they tell u up front that they are going to let the bike set for an hour before they start:thumb

Thanks folks for all the feedback.
I did my first valve job over the weekend. I have to admit I was very nervous doing it for the first time but with all the support from this forum and reviewing the instruction from the tech forum I completed the task. I have not taken the bike for a ride yet.
I did start it up and it feels smother (could be mind thing).
I did have questions on throttle body sync. I will ask it on another thread.

Back