• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hood Canal Closure, WA state

Hey Bill,

I'm still in the Bay Area. Trying to get out here but keep picking extra work.

Got a freind that wants me to help him bring his 6 meter down from Orcas next week-end, so I'll have to see if I make back by then in time for the bridge opening....

Look forward to taking a little jaunt with you real soon...

Got any ideals for my trip back. Thought about going up through Crater Lake and try to stay along the Cascades to the Dallles and then up behind St. Helens and on into Tacoma... Not sure what the snow is like up along the crest. Guess there's one way to find out....

Sounds like you are getting some good weather up there....

Later, Steve

Steve,

Since you've been giving us updates on the bridge I assumed you were back already...guess not!

The Orcas expedition sounds like fun, hope it works out for you.

I just checked the USFS road report, and it appears that there are still closures on those roads east of Helens. Still have snow across in some higher areas, and the road just south of Randle has a bridge that will be closed for repairs. Of course with all this warm weather (73 in Seabeck today, 78 tomorrow) those snow closures may be disappearing. You can find that road info by looking for the Gifford-Pinchot USFS website, I think they are pretty good about updating.

Coming north from Crater I'd pick the road that goes from north of Bend to Sisters, which brings you back to I-5 at Salem. OR an alternative is to keep going north to Madras, then head on 26 towards Mt. Hood and thence to Hood River. You can cross the River at Hood River and avoid some of the superslab and Portland that way....

The stretch from Bend to the Dalles is kinda boring IMHO.

Hope you have a good ride...be careful out there!

See ya when you get back.

Bill J

Hey Bill,

I'm still in the Bay Area. Trying to get out here but keep picking extra work.

Got a freind that wants me to help him bring his 6 meter down from Orcas next week-end, so I'll have to see if I make back by then in time for the bridge opening....

Look forward to taking a little jaunt with you real soon...

Got any ideals for my trip back. Thought about going up through Crater Lake and try to stay along the Cascades to the Dallles and then up behind St. Helens and on into Tacoma... Not sure what the snow is like up along the crest. Guess there's one way to find out....

Sounds like you are getting some good weather up there....

Later, Steve

Awww to eat another cheeseburger and fries at Smittys would be heaven. Used to ride there from Bainbridge Is. often. They were closed for a long time before we moved to AZ. Seems the cook/owner was caught taking a wizz off the back porch and lost the license. So glad to hear it is open again. Beside the cheeseburgers and fries the beer was pretty good also.:p

LOL!

Never heard the story about why they were closed...BUT way glad the place is open these days. It's a great spot, though sort of a long way from AZ.

Spot I used to like in AZ doesn't exist anymore...it was between East Flag and downtown Flag in the days when there was some noticeble distance betweent the two. Place was called the Copper Kettle...some good eatin'!

Cheers, BJ

Thanks Bill,

Still up in the air about which route to take. I did the east side of the mts. a few years back. Like to stay out the wind if possible.

If the weather holds through the week I may just ride the coast back. Can't beat the west coast this time of year....:bliss

Thanks Bill,

Still up in the air about which route to take. I did the east side of the mts. a few years back. Like to stay out the wind if possible.

If the weather holds through the week I may just ride the coast back. Can't beat the west coast this time of year....:bliss

I'm green with envy! Too many things going on in the family right now to take any time off!

Have a good ride!

BJ

It's a big improvement over the old bridge...just rode over to Shine and back this afternoon. Nice shoulders all the way across for those broken down cagers. And the grates must be some better design, no hint of wiggles on those 3 short sections. Not real smooth though, but guess that's sort of standard with a floating bridge design. :thumb

Cheers! Bill J

Hey Bill,

Glad you got to check it out. I'm still down in CA. Just rode highway 1 yesterday up from Jenner to Willow Cr. out on 299. Gonna try highway 36 out for the return trip. Really looking forward to that.:dance

Probably work my way back up toward the end of next week. We'll have to take a ride out to Fat Smitty's for lunch....

Steve,

Love those North Coast highways and byways. When the in-laws lived in Point Arena I had a lot of fun driving/riding that area. Though for some reason I've never been on 36 from the coast back to the valley...heard it's really a good one!

Definitely up for a ride to Smitty's for lunch after you get back...tho we're leaving on the 23rd for the Aloha State for about 10 days. Then back here for 5 days and off to the cornfields of Iowa for a family reunion. Busy summer!

Let me know when you're back in Sound country again...and take care!

Bill J

Back