• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scenic (non I-81) ROute to Rally from Maryland??

Looking to see if anyone out there is planning a ride to the Int'l Rally in Tennesse from the Maryland/Virginia area? We are looking to avoid the semi/truck-laden Route 81and find a more scenic, pleasant, but fast traveling road to Johnson City?

try the blue ridge parkway, on a weekday. speed limit is 45, you can get away with 55, and there are no stop signs.

now, about those double yellow lines.... :nono

You could try US 11 aka Lee Hwy. in Virginia. It's a nice road, mostly 2 lane. Goes thru a lot of small towns. Not many twisties, but you can make good time. Just my 2 cents.

There are several ways to ride through Virginia without riding a lot on I-81 that do not take forever. Here is one suggestion. I don't know where you are going to enter Virginia but you need to get on Rt 29. If you are coming from the Northern VA/DC area, you will need to find Rt 29 to Culpepper/Charlottesville (the roads have changed since I lived there) If you are entering Virginia via I-81, you can get on Rt 522 in Winchester (I think it is the next exit past the exit to Route 7) and ride toward White Post and Front Royal. Stay on 522 to Sperryvillle. At Sperryville, get on Rt 231 to Madison. At Madison, you will get on Rt 29 through Ruckersville to Charlottesville. At Charlottesville, continue on Rt 29 to Rt 460 in Lynchburg. Get on Rt 460 toward Lynchburg, Bedford & Roanoke. Continue on Rt 460 -you can stay on Rt 460 and go through the city or you can turn on Rt 220 alternate just before Roanoke (there is a sign to I-81, turn right at the red light and go to I-81 S. Take I-81 South to Blacksburg where you again exit onto Rt 460 and ride through Blacksburg and on down the valley through Pemroke, Bluefield, Tazewell. Go straight on Rt 19 at Claypool Hill (Rt 460 turns right at the light and goes to WV). Stay on Rt 19 to Abingdon where you will again get on I-81 and ride to I-26 and then to the Rally. It's a beautiful scenic ride and worth the trip even if you aren't going to the rally. It is easy to follow on a map and does not use a lot of different roads.

Thank you

Thanks to your responses--we have a good start. We are actually leaving from just north of Baltimore. I am very familiarw/ Rte 29--used to travel down to Lynchburg to visit boyfriend in college :hug !! I'll be solo--but traveling with my brother--so we will take to heart all the suggestions--SAFE TRAVELING to all!!!

Baltimore, MD to MOA Rally - The Fast and Fun Way (suggested route)

Looking to see if anyone out there is planning a ride to the Int'l Rally in Tennesse from the Maryland/Virginia area? We are looking to avoid the semi/truck-laden Route 81and find a more scenic, pleasant, but fast traveling road to Johnson City?

Well, if I were coming to the MOA rally from Ball'mer and wanted to make decent time while enjoying a few twisties along the way, I'd probably ride a route something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/d68sbr (link to Google maps)​

1. First, avoid the Balt./D.C. (and surrounding suburbia) congestion at all cost
  • I-70 west to Frederick, MD; then US-340 south through Charles Town, WV
  • Pick up US-522 south in Front Royal, VA
  • VA-231 south in Sperryville (stop at Central Virginia Roasters for some awesome java beans!)

2. Next, skirt around to the west of Charlottesville (along the eastern side of the Blue Ridge)
  • Turn right (south) onto US-29 at Madison; then right at the Sheetz (Wolftown rd) to Stanardsville
  • West on US-33 at Stanardsville; then left on Dyke Rd
  • Right at Nortonsville onto Simmons Gap Rd; the left onto Boonesville Rd
  • Follow VA-810 to White Hall; then turn right and follow VA-789 to Crozet
  • Turn right onto US-250 west; then left onto VA-151 south

3. Bypass Lynchburg, VA and hit the Parkway
  • Pick up US-29 south again just above Amherst, VA and take the bypass around Lynchburg
  • US-460 west to Bedford; then VA-122 south to Rocky Mount
  • In Rocky Mount, pick up VA-40 south to Woolwine
  • Turn right onto VA-8 at Woolwine (this is a very nice ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway)

4. Ride the BRP (short distance) and camp near Meadows of Dan
  • Take the Blue ridge Parkway south to Mabry Mill
  • Exit the Parkway on US-58 (around mile marker 177)
  • Head west about 3/4 mile to Willville Motorcycle Camp (http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/)

5. Virginia Highlands and "The Snake"
  • US-58 west through Grayson Highlands to Laureldale, VA
  • Turn left (south) on Rt. 91 to Mountain City, TN
  • West onto US-421 to Shady Vally - obligatory stop at the Country Store (http://shadyvalleycountrystore.com)
  • From Shady Vally, you can stay on US-421 to Rt. 34 south or take Rt. 91 south to Johnson City.
(Alternate "end game" route here)​

If you want to explore West Virginia on the way down (or perhaps on the way home), try something like this route.

Miles of smiles, either way.

I'm planning to leave Charlottesville on Wednesday, July 15th, and camp somewhere along the way (probably Willville or Grayson Highlands S.P.) that evening.

See you on the road...

-MTS

Consider VA 42

VA 42 roughly parallels I 81. You can pick it up at Wodstock, VA off I 81. In a couple of places you have to use other back roads to connect to continuing sections of 42. That will take you almost all the way and it's a scenic country drive with a mostly 55 speed limit. If you get tired or delayed you can always go back to I 81.

Back