• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzler ME 99 Marathons...

Sailingfool

I really liked the first set of ME 99 Marathons that were on my K100RS when I bought it, so much so that I searched hard to find replacements when they were due. They stuck really well, and lasted quite long for sport touring, with an emphisis on sport. They were made in Germany.

When the new set arrived, I noticed they were made in Brazil. They are most definately not the same. Let me describe the performance:

She it Tee!

They slide like they are made from banana peels! Maybe they will last even longer, but believe me, I hope not! Now I am into Granny Tourning!

Anyone know where I can buy a pair steel hot shoes?

I really liked the first set of ME 99 Marathons that were on my K100RS when I bought it, so much so that I searched hard to find replacements when they were due. They stuck really well, and lasted quite long for sport touring, with an emphisis on sport. They were made in Germany.

When the new set arrived, I noticed they were made in Brazil. They are most definately not the same. Let me describe the performance:

She it Tee!

They slide like they are made from banana peels! Maybe they will last even longer, but believe me, I hope not! Now I am into Granny Tourning!

Anyone know where I can buy a pair steel hot shoes?

The ME 99 was replaced, generally, by the ME55. Actually, as an OEM tire the 99 wasn't particulafly a good tire - not bad - but not a premium tire.

And it wasn't a "Marathon." Back then the Marathons were ME 88s. The 99 was called the Prefect.

You can still get an 88 in some sizes - or you can get the 880s in many bias or radial sizes. Those are touring tires. The 99A, 330, 550 etc have been replaced by the Lasertec.

Go to Metzeler's website and download their full-line brochure. It contains details on every tire that Metzeler USA can provide to you.

Back