• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to fund my trip

drswift

I'm planning a two month trip around the country this summer, camping along the way and crashing at friend's when possible. Even so, this is turning into an expensive proposition.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help fund the trip (other than standing by my bike with a sign that says "Will work for tires."):scratch

Do you think they would let me post an online Bake Sale?

I'll take two chocolate cupcakes with white frosting and sprinkles, please.

Where do I send the money?

I'm thinking a portable lemonade stand. Everytime you stop for fuel you sell a few glasses of lemonade to cover the cost. A large Camelback to carry the juice and a couple of free glasses of ice at the Quik Stop Station and you're in business.

Apply for stimulus funds or do it through deficit spending; seems to be the plan for many other activities. ;)

I'm planning a two month trip around the country this summer, camping along the way and crashing at friend's when possible. Even so, this is turning into an expensive proposition.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help fund the trip (other than standing by my bike with a sign that says "Will work for tires."):scratch

Do you think they would let me post an online Bake Sale?

Do you play banjo or guitar ?
My brother and I hitchhiked around the eastern US that way many years ago.
:violin

Have your check direct deposited into your bank account. Then take your debit card and hit the road. I do it all the time.:lurk

I am going on a one month long trip in September 2010 and have just started saving money for my trip. I'm putting $75/month plus i'll be dumping more in when I can.

I'm sorry that that doesn't help you at all. But do you know how much you're going to need? I figure that i'll need a minimum of ~$1500 for 30 days of riding. That is for gas, campgrounds, and food.

I knew a guy that once went across the country back in the 70's with very little $$ in his pocket. For gas he would stop at a gas station/repair shop and offer to clean the bathrooms for a tank of fuel. Said almost never got refused. They could make more money doing fan belts and oil changes if they didn't have to clean, so it was a bargain for both parties.

You might be able to still do it sometimes, but don't think it would be as successful.

Jet boil, small cans of white meat chicken, and minute rice Dinner for about $2.50 a day instead of $20 at a restaurant

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

I knew a guy that once went across the country back in the 70's with very little $$ in his pocket. For gas he would stop at a gas station/repair shop and offer to clean the bathrooms for a tank of fuel. Said almost never got refused. They could make more money doing fan belts and oil changes if they didn't have to clean, so it was a bargain for both parties.

You might be able to still do it sometimes, but don't think it would be as successful.

I might just try that, haha. But yeah, I think the 70's was just a completely different time.

Have a garage sale. Right now is the perfect time, it's a seasonal event and this is start-up. You won't believe the stuff that sells and how much you can make. I'm not a hoarder and have very little excess "stuff." However, I had old strips of vinyl flooring left over from a project or two, two foot wide max and about 6 ft long; a box of camping kitchen gear, in really bad shape, left over from the sale of a really old camper; old work lights that had been replaced by newer work lights; old coffee table being used in a closet; those ugly plastic stacking chairs that were replaced with nice deck chairs; etc. 9am-1pm, over $400 and the stuff that didn't sell was the "good" stuff, all the "trash" sold!

+1 on the garage sale, it is amazing what people will buy. Ask family and friends to donate some of their old junk to the sale. Quite possibly they will be thankful just to be able to get rid of it. Alternatively, you can take items on consignment from family and friends and take commission for the items you sell. You'll be staying in a Holiday Inn Express before you know it. :p

Yeah - try this at todays StopNRobs and the clerk behind the counter probably couldn't find the bathroom, let alone fan belts or oil.

Great ideas all around. I'm not opposed to cleaning toilets, but not sure about the delays in schedule. The garage sale has good potential.

FYI- I budgeted everything out for the entire two months, including one set of tires along the way, not counting any major mechanical problems. I came up with $3,250 for gas, food, and lodging.

I'm spending a week in Nashville and plan on checking Craigslist before I go to look for any carpentry/painting/handyman opportunities. You never know.

...I'm looking for suggestions on how to help fund the trip...

Last year on AdvRider one of the inmates that goes by Mr. Cob took a journey all around the USA on a new Ural (including the sidecar). Mr. Cob is pretty well known on ADV for his ride reports with his Ural. He was able to get the folks at Ural North America to provide the bike. Most (but not all) dealerships agreed to help out with servicing and tires.

Mr. Cob provided very frequent postings to his trip thread on ADV. He posted his desired route in advance and many folks volunteered to host him for a night or two.

I, for one, really enjoyed reading about his trip. I believe that it was very effective advertising for Ural.

For your trip - are you willing to do a similar on-line travellogue? If so, perhaps you can find a sponsor.

Here is a link to Mr. Cob's tour of 2008 - Warning this is entertaining and could cause you to miss dinner / work while reading the thread. :)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354338

For your trip - are you willing to do a similar on-line travellogue? If so, perhaps you can find a sponsor.

I'm definitely planning to do a journal. I'm in the process of learning how to post pictures and copy easily. As far as getting a sponsor, I don't think my tour will give anybody's product much exposure. For the most part I'm avoiding major metro areas.

I will be posting my route, and have already picked up several offers from folks I contacted about local roads and places to visit.

I'm also thinking of using motorcycle-travel.net B&B hospitality exchange for five of my "pit stops." The service is quite reasonable and it is a fun way to meet other motorcycle enthusiasts.

Back