Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to fund my trip

How to fund my trip

I'm planning a two month trip around the country this summer, camping along the way and crashing at friend's when possible. Even so, this is turning into an expensive proposition.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help fund the trip (other than standing by my bike with a sign that says "Will work for tires.")

Do you think they would let me post an online Bake Sale?
    Dave Swift
    Grass Valley, CA
    '14 R1200GSLC "Woody"

I'll take two chocolate cupcakes with white frosting and sprinkles, please.

Where do I send the money?

Paypal.

How does $10 a dozen sound?
    Dave Swift
    Grass Valley, CA
    '14 R1200GSLC "Woody"

Quote Originally Posted by drswift View Post
    Paypal.

How does $10 a dozen sound?
    Sounds like you are going to need to make a LOT of cupcakes. I question if you could make them and mail them for that price.

Maybe I can make it up on volume. Or just charge $19.95 for S&H.
    Dave Swift
    Grass Valley, CA
    '14 R1200GSLC "Woody"

I'm thinking a portable lemonade stand. Everytime you stop for fuel you sell a few glasses of lemonade to cover the cost. A large Camelback to carry the juice and a couple of free glasses of ice at the Quik Stop Station and you're in business.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

Apply for stimulus funds or do it through deficit spending; seems to be the plan for many other activities.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by drswift View Post
    I'm planning a two month trip around the country this summer, camping along the way and crashing at friend's when possible. Even so, this is turning into an expensive proposition.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help fund the trip (other than standing by my bike with a sign that says "Will work for tires.")

Do you think they would let me post an online Bake Sale?
    Do you play banjo or guitar ?
    My brother and I hitchhiked around the eastern US that way many years ago.

Have your check direct deposited into your bank account. Then take your debit card and hit the road. I do it all the time.

I am going on a one month long trip in September 2010 and have just started saving money for my trip. I'm putting $75/month plus i'll be dumping more in when I can.

I'm sorry that that doesn't help you at all. But do you know how much you're going to need? I figure that i'll need a minimum of ~$1500 for 30 days of riding. That is for gas, campgrounds, and food.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I knew a guy that once went across the country back in the 70's with very little $$ in his pocket. For gas he would stop at a gas station/repair shop and offer to clean the bathrooms for a tank of fuel. Said almost never got refused. They could make more money doing fan belts and oil changes if they didn't have to clean, so it was a bargain for both parties.

You might be able to still do it sometimes, but don't think it would be as successful.

Brett
    Jet boil, small cans of white meat chicken, and minute rice Dinner for about $2.50 a day instead of $20 at a restaurant

Brett Endress
    Altoona PA

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I knew a guy that once went across the country back in the 70's with very little $$ in his pocket. For gas he would stop at a gas station/repair shop and offer to clean the bathrooms for a tank of fuel. Said almost never got refused. They could make more money doing fan belts and oil changes if they didn't have to clean, so it was a bargain for both parties.

You might be able to still do it sometimes, but don't think it would be as successful.
    I might just try that, haha. But yeah, I think the 70's was just a completely different time.

Have a garage sale. Right now is the perfect time, it's a seasonal event and this is start-up. You won't believe the stuff that sells and how much you can make. I'm not a hoarder and have very little excess "stuff." However, I had old strips of vinyl flooring left over from a project or two, two foot wide max and about 6 ft long; a box of camping kitchen gear, in really bad shape, left over from the sale of a really old camper; old work lights that had been replaced by newer work lights; old coffee table being used in a closet; those ugly plastic stacking chairs that were replaced with nice deck chairs; etc. 9am-1pm, over $400 and the stuff that didn't sell was the "good" stuff, all the "trash" sold!

+1 on the garage sale, it is amazing what people will buy. Ask family and friends to donate some of their old junk to the sale. Quite possibly they will be thankful just to be able to get rid of it. Alternatively, you can take items on consignment from family and friends and take commission for the items you sell. You'll be staying in a Holiday Inn Express before you know it.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana