• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SW-Motech Engine Protection Bars

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I believe I once saw SW-Motech Engine Protection Bars for the R12RT on the web. I cannot find them anywhere now. Does anyone use them? Your opinion of them and your source for them, please.

Well, sort of an answer...
I use the Wunderlich bars from BMW Santa Cruz (I think). The fit was OK - not great - but they offer pretty good protection. Fortunately, I've never put them to the test.
They also make a great place to mount highway pegs...

TC

Yes, I found their home page in the mother land and saw nothing for the RT, but I still remember seeing it... I think. Thanks for looking.

Tcate: If you mounted highway pegs on your crash bars, can you offer any details about what pegs/where you got them from, how they're mounted?

Thanks-

Tcate: If you mounted highway pegs on your crash bars, can you offer any details about what pegs/where you got them from, how they're mounted?

Thanks-

Hey Andy -
They were el-cheapo rejects off a Vtwin that a local shop had pulled and replaced. They sold them to me for $20 (probably the cost of new ones...). I'll try to get a pic posted this weekend. I don't know how folks ride without them. I couldn't.

TC

My problem has been trying to find highway pegs I can mount to the RT as I currently have it configured.

1) I have Touratech crash bars and cylinder head guards on it, so the new MickOPegs definitely won't fit based on the few pics I've seen, looks like those won't work with any kind of other aftermarket material around the cylinders.
2) I could take off the head guards and use the kind that replace the spark plug covers, but based on how I'm sitting on the bike, I think those would be way too high up for any sort of comfortable riding.

I really want to try to find some that I could clamp low down on the touratech bars somewhere, but the angles don't seem quite right unless I can find a pair that are adjustable in lots of different directions relative to the clamp.

If anybody's got any bright ideas, I'm all ears.

I have the Wunderlich bars on my 07 RT. I had a problem finding something that I could easily mount, because the bars are so close to the valve covers on the left side. Plus I didn't want chrome, and that can be very hard to find when looking for highway pegs. I just ordered these from Twisted Throttle:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4664

If you want the option to move them around, I've heard of people that have had success with these from Kuryakin:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/18/scID/53/IMID/467

I have the Wunderlich bars on my 07 RT. I had a problem finding something that I could easily mount, because the bars are so close to the valve covers on the left side. Plus I didn't want chrome, and that can be very hard to find when looking for highway pegs. I just ordered these from Twisted Throttle:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4664

If you want the option to move them around, I've heard of people that have had success with these from Kuryakin:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/18/scID/53/IMID/467

Yep, I use the Kuryakyn pegs and they work fine for me. I have the Wunderlich bars as well.. You can change their position based on your needs. The only issue I had was I couldn't use washers that came with them because of the diameter of the bars... But, they seem to work fine.

Pardon a newbies first post, but I finally got around to joining BMWMOA and registering for the forums. I've been searching around for a solution to my problem and finally ended up here.

I currently own a 2007 K1200GT and while it is a terrific bike in almost all regards, I am having problems with my knees. I am 6'4ÔÇØ with a 36ÔÇØ inseam and after about 120 miles, my knees start to scream. I need to stop riding for about 10 minutes before resuming, but after 15-20 more miles, I need to take another break. Seat in highest position, added seat pad, installed a foot peg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery, to no avail. Actually started dragging my toes in some turns. I am thinking I will need to find a different bike more appropriate to my physique. Highway bars are not available for the GT and I'm not really interested in a cruiser at this point in my life.

I am looking at the R1200RT with one of the highway foot peg additions and was wondering if those that own a Sahara ELF, Talon, or Wunderlich crashbar with foot peg additions, could post the type of highway peg they own, their height and inseam to give me a better idea of what might be appropriate for my situation. Any pictures with you seated in the highway position would also be appreciated. If anyone has a different solution to the ones listed above, I am all ears.

Thanks.

Charlie, Welcome to the forum!!! You should consider starting a new thread to ask your question. It will get a bunch more visibility.

AKBeemer,
Thanks for the welcome. I always hesitate to start a new post immediately after registering at a forum. Too many repeated subjects, topics and other information can too easily be repeated and sometimes that comes across as a sensitive topic (use the search button!!), but I'll repost. Thanks.

I picked up the Kuryakyn pegs mentioned higher up in the thread and they've worked out pretty nicely. I wish the clamping surface had slightly better grip on the Touratech crash bars (1" round bars with a satiny finish). Maybe a thin rubber sleeve of some sort might help a bit. It's also probably reduced cornering clearance some, but not enough to worry me and they have proven to be the solution I've been looking for in terms of relaxing the leg cramps I was getting previously. On a twisty road I kick 'em up out of the way, and off we go.

I took a look at the GT at the local dealer's demo truck event last week, and I can't see how I could ever ride that thing. The fairing near your lower legs and smooth surface all the way up to the front gives you nowhere to put pegs at all , unlike the RT which at least has a few options.

The Kuryakyn site seemed to imply that part 8008A would be required (provides set screw on the adapters so you can stop the pegs downward travel at something other than 90 degrees, since the tubes are at about a 45 degree angle rather than perpendicular) but they actually came with that part already included, so I sent the extra adapters back.

Back