Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ark barn rat

Marine

ark barn rat

i am a new member to bmwmoa and looking forward to meeting other beemer riders also i am in the process of rebuilding the firs bmw that i have ever owned so i will be asking for a lotttt of help from everyone. the bike is a 1977 r/75/7 so if anyone is familiar with this model please clue me in on its good points and its short comings.the bike has been stored in ashed for about 15 years so i am expecting to replace a lot of parts etc.please reply with suggestions,tips,advice, anything at all that is on your mind.thanks

Marine,

I'm gonna move this over to Airheads - since that's the bike you have, and there are a bunch of real enthusiasts in that forum who I'm sure will help you out.

Hang on - the move is usually smooth but 'ya never know..

Whoooooooosssssshhhhhhhhhh...
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

We crave pics and a good story!

Sounds good already.

i hope you have a pile of cash.

please tell us where you're from.
    there is usually someone within a reasonable distance who can drop in and give you a few pointers and suggestions.
    between MOA and ABC (airhead beemers club), guarantee someone can be a big help and a new friend.

-dan

rbleau

Welcome

Welcome ! Misery loves company !

The R 75/7 was a short-lived model before they transitioned to an R80/7, and this makes it somewhat more "collectible". It is also purported to have a few extra HP and a bit more torque than the 80/7.
    I would say that this is a model that is worth some effort to restore/rejuvenate if you can swing it, financially.

Good luck!
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

+1

Quote Originally Posted by danielroth View Post
    i hope you have a pile of cash.

please tell us where you're from.
    there is usually someone within a reasonable distance who can drop in and give you a few pointers and suggestions.
    between MOA and ABC (airhead beemers club), guarantee someone can be a big help and a new friend.

-dan
    There's quite a network of remarkably helpful airhead people out there, and several good sources of new and used parts. But just for starters, anything rubber is dried out. You're gonna hafta rebuild the carbs. There's rubber o-rings and the diaphragm. Anything greased will likely be frozen. The grease turns to glue. Like steering head bearings, wheel bearings. tho they may be cleanable. Check final drive splines and clutch out-put splines. those little-bitty springs on the spinning weights of the ignition sensor. good luck and post lots of pix
    Last edited by 26667; 04-09-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: acccuracy
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Marine

Ar Barn Rat Pics

Here Are Some Pics Of The R75/7 That I Dug Out Of The Shed.if You Will Notice On The Right Side Of The Bike The Mice Have Built A Very Swanky 4 Story Condo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marine

Ar Barn Rat Pics

Nother Pic Of Raratouillie 4 Story Condo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Marine
    I know I speak for many that we look forward to your tale of discovery.

Sweet! I love it. I LOVE it.

Go check out the before pics on my R90/6 thread.

Go ahead and take the heads off and have a look.. proceed from there.

Marine

About Myself

I Am A Christian,and Have Been Most Of My Life.if U R Not We Still Will Get Along Just Fine Because Everyone Is Entitled To Their Own Belief In My Opinion.i Live In Van Buren, Ar About 5 Miles From The Ok Border And 1/2 Mi South Of I40. Best Place In The Us To Live. I Am 67 Years Old And Am Married. I Have 5 Children,11 Grandchildren,and 1 Great Granddaughter.very Proud Of My Family, 1 Serving In The Us Navy And All Others Holding Down Paying Jobs, For The Time Being. I Am Semi Retired As A Truck Driver, And Have Been To All Lower 48 States, Several Canidian Provinces, And Folks We Have A Beautiful Country,a Country To Be Very Proud Of. Time To Start Talking About The R75/7,it Has Been In My Family Since Around 1988. My Brother,who By The Way Is Member #6991,bought The Bike While Living In Frederick,md. His Son Rode The Bike To Daytona Beach And Around In Va And Md Area For A Couple Of Years Then Parked It For 4 Wheel Transportation. When They Moved Back To Ok They Rode The Bike Down There And Made A Couple Of Short Trips On It And Then The Boy Moved Out Of State And Left The Bike Behind. Eventually My Brother Pushed It Into The Shed U C In The Pics. I Have More Pics And Will Be Sending Them Soon And Will Keep Updating The Progress On Restoring, Thanks For Ur Concern And All Of Ur Replies. Marine.

Marine

Ur Restored R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Sweet! I love it. I LOVE it.

Go check out the before pics on my R90/6 thread.

Go ahead and take the heads off and have a look.. proceed from there.
    SEEING UR PICS AND REPORTS INSPIRED ME TO TRY IT MYSELF I AM REALLY IMPRESSED WITH WHAT U DID TO THAT BIKE EXCELLENT JOB MARINE

mymindsok
    Wow... That bikes pretty rough!

OTOH, a projects a project and that one will keep you busy for a couple of months and very likely empty your wallet. I'll be out here checking out your problems and progress, while throwing in a little advice if you need some.

I recently completed a 1976 R-90 build that took me from a worn out bike to a real looker, so theres some inspiration for ya down there somewhere.

Just remember to take things one step at a time and order your parts in advance.

Click for Inspiration:

Marine

76 r/90

Quote Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
    Wow... That bikes pretty rough!

OTOH, a projects a project and that one will keep you busy for a couple of months and very likely empty your wallet. I'll be out here checking out your problems and progress, while throwing in a little advice if you need some.

I recently completed a 1976 R-90 build that took me from a worn out bike to a real looker, so theres some inspiration for ya down there somewhere.

Just remember to take things one step at a time and order your parts in advance.

Click for Inspiration:
    beautiful bike ideal for that part of the country to ride around on hope mine just looks half that good when finished. thanks for the encouragement.