• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Music at the Rally

S

SNOONE

I've had many ask the question as to what will be the main music talent at the rally this year... Believe it or not with so many outdoor music festivals now being summer motorcycle destinations some riders are making their choices whether to going to the MOA rally based on the music . Some go for the beer, others go for the music..

Can anyone (entertainment chair) give us an idea of who is being considered or when a final decision will be made?

Moutain Music

I sure hope that the entertainment is all based on bluegrass and all forms of mountain music. After all, it is being held in the mountains of Tennessee.

:lurk

I am interested in Tom's suggestion, too, but I don't think Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers are doing much touring these days (it would be great to hear some good acts doing the classic mountain sound tho).

:lurk

I am interested in Tom's suggestion, too, but I don't think Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers are doing much touring these days (it would be great to hear some good acts doing the classic mountain sound tho).

Based on http://delbert.com/tourschedule.htm and http://www.bluemothertupelo.com/calendar.html , I don't know. Bristol is the "Home of Country Music" and we have tons of great bluegrass and old time music talent available locally. East Tennessee State University in Johnson City has the only Bluegrass and Old Time music program in the world. I have heard them perform several times and they are great. They have musicians attend from all over the world to study. I go to a "Song of the Mountain" taping every month at the Lincoln Threatre in Mation, VA (shown on 160+ PBS stations nationwide) and I see the music talent available nearby. It looks like they may be going to import "talent" from elsewhere. Maybe they are going to use local talent on other nights.

By the way, the Stanley Brothers are no longer with us but Ralph Stanley performed for Song of the Mountain last year. His band was good but he struggled at his 80+ age. He lives about 70-80 miles from the Rally.

looks like the cats out of the bag, Taken from the link supplied in osbornk's post. Delbert Mclinton's site also says he is playing the 17th... Someone's schedule needs adjustment

Friday, july 17th, 2009
BMW MOA International Rally
at the Appalachian Fairgrounds - BMT Performs At 6:30pm

Appalachian Fairgrounds; Lakeview Street
Gray TN
Ph: 423.477.3211
Blue Mother Tupelo is honored to be performing along with music legends: Jimmy Hall (of Wet Willie fame) & The Prisoners Of Love, and the Capricorn Records Rhythm Section All-Stars at the BMW MOA International Rally taking place at the Appalachian Fairgrounds in Gray, Tennessee, located just north of Johnson City. Situated near the intersection of Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia this site has it all. Motorcycling in the area is amongst the best in the U.S.: Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, the Great Smoky Mountains, and so much more. Come experience the Mountain Magic... Southern Style! More information at http://www.bmwmoa.org . BMW motorcycle enthusiasts and music-lovers all welcomed!

Please click this link for directions to the BMW MOA International Rally at the Appalachian Fairgrounds: www.bestofshoware.com/appalachianfair/map.htm

By the way, the Stanley Brothers are no longer with us but Ralph Stanley performed for Song of the Mountain last year. His band was good but he struggled at his 80+ age. He lives about 70-80 miles from the Rally.
You are totally correct, Ken! I'm looking forward to reading Man of Constant Sorrow, when it comes out this year. :)

looks like the cats out of the bag, Taken from the link supplied in osbornk's post. Delbert Mclinton's site also says he is playing the 17th... Someone's schedule needs adjustment
...[/url]

There is music every night of the rally, so it is possible that Delbert Mclinton is playing on the 17th. There is a grammy award winning (in the 1970's) act originally from Tennesee, who, on their website claims to be playing on the 18th.

There is a grammy award winning (in the 1970's) act originally from Tennesee, who, on their website claims to be playing on the 18th.

They got as many grammys as Delbert? :dance :dance

This is gonna be great! I'll be wearing my RHYTHM TRAMP t-shirt, for those of you in the know...:evil

High Lonesome Sound

I hope someone there is playing that high, lonesome sound like the late great Bill Monroe. He sure mentored a bunch of musicians in that area.

I hope someone there is playing that high, lonesome sound like the late great Bill Monroe. He sure mentored a bunch of musicians in that area.

One of the great things about the rallies is that they usually make an effort to represent the music and beer of the region. There was a lot of German music at West Bend for example.

I too look forward to hearing the high lonesome in Tennessee!

(I'm more into Old Timey than Bluegrass per se, but I won't complain if we get stuck with that new fangled Bluegrass stuff...)

Music for 09 International Rally

Ok! I guess it is time to let the cat out of the bag. My name is Lee Harrelson and I have been asked to be the Entertainment Chairman for this year's "Mountain Magic Southern Style" International Rally in Johnson City TN.

Let me start off by saying how much I appreciate everybody's interest and the input that I have received.
In keeping with this year's theme I have been working on a schedule that I hope represents a cross section of music from the South. Bluegrass, Old Time Country ( this part of Tennessee is the real birthplace of recorded country music !), Southern Blues and Country/Southern Rock.
Our committee has been working with artist management companies for the last SEVERAL months trying to produce a line-up that will appeal to our club members and provide evening entertainment with the flavor of the South! We have local musicians, we have regional touring musicians and we have several nationally known acts planned .

Before I go any further PLEASE let me explain that this has been and CONTINUES to be a negotiation and legal contract process. It is not complete but I hope to be able to secure all information very soon!
Enough of the disclaimers ..

Here is what is planned:
Thursday Night
Bluegrass great Randy Waller and the Country Gentlemen start things off at 7pm
If you have not heard these guys you are in for a treat. Second generation Bluegrass from a group with a real style.
Check them out. http://www.randywaller.com/

Lightnin' Charlie is a local favorite that sings great old time country ( Carter Family ) current country hits and smokin' guitar licks through some of the best known Texas Blues tunes.
Check him out. http://www.lightnincharlie.com/

Friday Night
Blue Mother Tupelo takes the stage around 6:30 .
It's Tupelo, honey ... the songs blend N'Awlins-style blues with spare Appalachian acoustic grit, Southern rock grooves, '60s flower-power dreaminess and rootsy rock. Ricky plays a mean dobro, peeling off riffs as slick and juicy as a ripe peach, and Micol's voice is both steely and delicate, like a cross between Bonnie Raitt & Emmylou Harris ...'
Check them out. http://www.bluemothertupelo.com/home.html

Then one of my favorite guys! Paul Thorn and his band start around 8:30. Trust me if you have not heard this guy's songwriting and delivery do yourself a favor. Go Get One of His Records !!
Born the son of a Pentecostal preacher in Tupelo Mississippi his songs tell HIS story in a spellbinding style with both feeling and humor. Really! Go listen to some of his stuff before you come to the rally. You won't regret it!
Check him out. http://www.paulthorn.com/index.html

Next we hear from Austin, Texas. Grammy Award Winning Delbert McClinton takes over around 10:30 till we kick them off the stage!
I am not going to spend any time here because everybody knows this legendary Texas Blues artist!
Check him out. http://www.delbert.com/

Saturday Night
Bristol native April Taylor sings our National Anthem during the official Closing Ceremonies then opens the music for the evening with her own special style of country. She comes from a music rich family with roots in bluegrass and old time country. Her great grand father wrote many songs with the original Carter Family and she continues the tradition with a fresh sweet style and memorable songs played by a great band.
Check her out. http://www.apriltaylor.net/index.cfm

For the rest of Saturday night I think we have put together a truly unique revue style show anchored by Scott Boyer and the Decoys. A group of heavy-weight Muscle Shoals, Alabama musicians that have played sessions and dates with a virtual rainbow of famous artists. Scott, an original member of the band called Cowboy and the Capricorn Records Rhythm Section recorded a huge array of Southern Rock records.
Just returning this month from a special guest appearance at the annual Allman Brothers tour kick off at the Beacon Theater in New York.
After they have warmed us up a little we add Russell Smith and Grammy Award Winning " Amazing Rhythm Aces"
http://www.theacesforreal.com/

We ain't thru now. No!!
Next we bring out Donnie Fritts. A songwriting legend whose songs have been recorded by Kris Kristofferson, Willie, Waylon, Tony Joe White, the list goes on and on.
His songs are from the heart and delivered with a voice rich and pure. A true southern artist! He will have you singing one of his songs when you wake up for that Sunday trip home!
Check him out. http://www.geocities.jp/hideki_wtnb/donniescontents.html

That's all I have for now. Please let me say again! Nothing is written in stone yet! Don't drag me behind your bike if one of these bands has a change in schedule before I can secure the contracts.

I hope the entertainment committee's work pays off in a really great "Southern Style" show that pleases EVERYONE!!
As soon as I can confirm everything I promise I will update this forum. Be looking for your June Issue of BMWON for a more complete article and line-up.

Until then safe and happy riding to ALL!

Lee Harrelson

Lee, Great lineup. (Delbert is actually playing up here in NYC this Saturday Night!)

Man, Randy Waller... Scott Boyer and the Decoys! Wow! Really looking forward to seeing and hearing these acts!

:thumb

yeah...wow!!!

I didn't know that I was going to attend a music festival at the same time...

:dance

Take Me To The River

Yes, I'll be Standing on Shaky Ground come July 17. Thank You Baby! Maybe Some Day! Sandy Beaches! That's The Way I Feel......

Can I reserve a front and center seat? Please!!!!

Thanks for bringing the one and only, Delbert, to the rally!!!

Back