• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermaket Exhaust for 1150 GS

GS Drifter

Looking for feedback on aftermarket mufler / exhaust system to replace stock muffler.

I'm looking for a low, mello, flowing deep airy sound, not a put-put, or back-pressure noise. Something close to the FJR chorttle.

Anyone have first hand experience or recomendations / suggestions?

Thanks

advrider

I think you'll have better luck with this at advrider.com ... that's where GS riders hangout. I think this is mostly R/RT/RS ...

HEY NOW!!!!! Us GS riders float around multiple sites!!!!!!!
:wow
That being said remus has some nice exhausts. I had one on my RT and loved the weight savings, and the sound. Was just like what you stated you were looking for, plus some of them look alot better than the stock exhaust. :D

After market exhaust - GS / RT Site??

Thanks Ghoast Rider. I'll check into the Remus exhaust. As for the other guy's comment about this being mostly a RT oriented site -- all I can say is:

A Boxer engine is a Boxer engine and an R bike is and R bike. A name-brand, low-note, mellow muffler that works on a R1150RT will work on a R1150GS. I wasn't aware that this was a mostly RT site. I'm new to this site, but so far, seems like about half the threads I've read have mentioned GS issues . . . . hmmmmmm

I saw a couple GSs at a rally last year that had no muffler. They retained the big box under the tranny then just added a 45 deg elbow instead of a muffler. Sorry to say I never got a chance to hear them.

MarkF

Re: After market exhaust - GS / RT Site??

GS Drifter said:
Thanks Ghoast Rider. I'll check into the Remus exhaust. As for the other guy's comment about this being mostly a RT oriented site -- all I can say is:

A Boxer engine is a Boxer engine and an R bike is and R bike. A name-brand, low-note, mellow muffler that works on a R1150RT will work on a R1150GS. I wasn't aware that this was a mostly RT site. I'm new to this site, but so far, seems like about half the threads I've read have mentioned GS issues . . . . hmmmmmm

I'm with you, mang.

GS's rock!

dave

Staintune

I love the Australian Staintune. I've got one on the K and the R1150GS Adventure. Get the low one (it's not that low, but you can then get a larger left bag). Sounds better than most I've heard. Might give you a little boost in power, as well.

Aftermarket exhaust for 1150GS

The Luz,

Can you tell me a little about the Staintune exhaust on your
boxer engine? I am thinking about buying one, but I hate to put down $1000 unless I am sure it is what I want.

I have not been able to find anyone in the OKC area with a Staintune so I have not been able to listen to one.

I have heard the Two Brothers and it is too loud for me. How
does the Staintune compare to it? Have you used the baffle
yet, and if so how loud or quiet is it with the baffle installed?

By the way, I am going to put it on an R1150RT.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Gerald

Staintune

I wonder how I could get you the sound: maybe record it digitally and send it to you. wouldn't be the same. I really like the quality of their stuff. It's all stainless and really good quality. Sound, however, is very subjective. I think you could find someone it your area with an R bike and a Staintune. I have never run Bart with the baffle in place (I think the little restriction on the end is the part to which you refer). The sound is very pleasant and not too loud with the piece not installed.

Aftermarket exhaust for 1150GS

The Luz,

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to every BMW rider I see
and no one has been able to come up with a Staintune owner
in the area. I have checked with the local BMW club and the
local dealer, still no one.

How would you compare the sound of the Staintune to the
Two Brothers exhaust, as there are a couple of those in this area?

I was told the Remus is nice, but there are none local either.

I want a nice deep tone that is not too loud. If you run across
a Mazda Miata with a RoadsterSport exhaust that is about the
right noise level and deepness I am looking for.

Are there any discount Staintune dealers out there?

Thank you for your time.

Gerald

not much help

I'm not coming up with any way of convaying sound to you. These things are made in Australia and several dealers carry them. I'd try Dallas.

R1100RS Exhaust

I went with Remus for my RS 5 years ago based on advise from my local shop (Ironhorse, Tucson). Not quite a pretty as Remus but only costs about cost half as much as Staintune and sounds great. Save your money.

Check out Jesse, as in the bags. I saw an exhaust system at Paonia and Spokane that goes from the converter to under the taillight and permits full sized left bags. Looks neat, too.

I'm one of those GS riders over on Advrider with no exhaust...here's a photo. At 4500 rpm the no exhaust is 3 dbs louder (93dbs) than with the stock exhaust installed (90dbs). That's measured with the meter held about 3' behind the bike at exhaust level.

Maybe here's the photo...maybe not:dunno

Attachments

• advno exaustwith bag.jpg
    advno exaustwith bag.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 106
Back