• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Soft Luggage

paulcibulka

I'd like to get some soft luggage that I can secure to the passenager's seat. I'm thinking that it should be water proof and around 50L in size. any suggestions?

Hi Guy,
What kind of bike do you ride? Your profile doesn't say...

There are many companies making all sorts of good soft luggage. But the type of bike can make a difference, along with saddlebags, passenger or not, luggage rack...
Post some more info and let's go from there.

Greg

Ortieb

I can only recommend Ortieb bags. They are sold by Aerostich; they come in 3 different sizes, 3 different colors and are top loading. 100% waterproof.

I use Roadgear Jumbo Euro Hauler and all soft luggage has to go in a bag to be waterproof-you can use the fancy bag mentioned for dry or an Army surplus OD bag for a $1 or $2. There are raincovers for "normal rain". Use bungie buddies on the sidecases to hold on the bike(Euro bag has bottom bungies).If in a dry bag, use ROK straps.

I'd like to get some soft luggage that I can secure to the passenager's seat. I'm thinking that it should be water proof and around 50L in size. any suggestions?

I picked up a North Face duffle last year that I think has about 50L capacity. If you have existing side bags on your bike it works great over the seat with the side bags catching what extends over the seat. This one is waterproof with attachments to carry like a backpack. Plenty of use other than the motorcycle.

soft bags

Ditto on the Aerostich Bags. www.aerostich.com
Their bags many cost a little more but they come with a raincover attached and are of excellent quality. I have them and I use them on my k12rs. Thumbs up on their quality.

your feedback is helpful. Here's a little more detail regarding my bike and need:

I'm riding a K12LT. I'd like to be able to tie down the soft luggage on the passenger's seat. I'm thinking that a waterproof bag is the best way to go.

What size would you suggest? 50L?

Thanks,
Paul

+1 on the Ortliebs. The dry bags saddlebags are wonderful. They hold just about anything you can think of putting in them and they stay dry through a Montana sideways downpour.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Ortlieb-DryBag-Saddlebags-p-16156.html

I have used the small sized dry duffle for about 4 years. It fell off the back of my Honda Shadow once (cheap bungees from HD store), bounced around 4 lanes of I-5 near Seattle until the traffic cleared enough for the spouse to run out and pick it up. Aside from some tire marks which came off with some elbow grease and cleaner, it still works good as new. No damage at all to it.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Ortlieb-Dry-Bag-Duffel-Bags-p-17175.html

I've been on the same mission for my 1995 GS. I've been doing a lot of research checking different sites, blogs and various motorcycle websites forems.

I believe I'm now leaning toward; www.revpack.com They are out of California and have been very successful with the motorcycle long range cruiser not matter what brand of bike.

They have something called the JOURNEY BAG and the TOUR PACK but they do have "legs" so if your rear seat is high enough over your hard bags, the large bag has 71 litres of space.
If that doesnt' work, check out their GEAR BAGS which are made in the very same high tech material. They are basically large duffles with some shape to them. The duffles also have straps sewed in for seat attachments. The gear bags are very affordable. I am leaning toward the medium size which is over 50 litres.

I have asked if they can sew in some reflective patches as shown on their JOURNEY bag and they will do it. The duffles (up to the large size) have an option for a rain cover.

I did look at the Orteib dry bags but wanted something that was not rubber coated with a more typical zipper entry.

I have also looked at MagBags, MotoFizz (back ordered for a long time), RoadGear Euro, Wolfman. I think RevPack gives you the most for cost and quality.

soft bags

BMW also makes a waterproof bag that can go on your passenger seat. It even has the straps and the works to keep it on the seat. When zipped, this thing can also keep you floating if you go swimming. I have one and used it riding out to Gillete last summer. Not even a drop of water inside and we went through a monsoon plus storms in Wyoming. Good investment and it is excellent quality. Can be bought from your local BMW dealer. It is silver .

Last edited:
Hi Paul-
Also check out MotoFizz Seat Bags on Aerostich's site---they have a great design -- pockets, bungees, straps--all for attaching any extras you may take and lots of room--expandable too!! They are available in 3 sizes and include rain cover. One hint---you may want to strap an extra bungee over the rain cover--some times the extra speed can lift it off. Good Luck!!:german

Back