• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wish I Had A Reverse Gear On My K

C

Carguz

With my 5' 8.5" stature, I would not mind a reverse gear at all.

Do new K's have em?

Like PA said, the K1200LT has reverse. It runs off the starter so it is ment for short duration use. I don't know any other other Beemers that have this option though.

Roy

I have had a reverse gear on both my K100 and K1100. She sits behind me. She is a little thing and when she is backing me up I do need to sometimes yell words of encouragement.

"HaYaa, Giddy up there Women. PUSH like ya mean it" :whistle

This does occasionally have negative consequences for me. YMMV

Very interesting...
No idea it ran off the starter. I guess there's no way, no kit, etc. to fit it to K100?

The main reason I sold my K100RT and K75RT was my little short legs. I'm a little over 2" shorter than you with a 28" inseam. I had great difficulty when I needed to back them. I replaced them with a R80RT. It is a little shorter but lighter and easier to handle as it is not as top heavy. I also have a R1200CLC. It is much heavier but also much lower to the ground. I can handle both of them well.

Very interesting...
No idea it ran off the starter. I guess there's no way, no kit, etc. to fit it to K100?

Well, I suppose in theory, one could rig up any motorcycle with a starter to have reverse. What BMW (and Honda, on the Gold Wing) have done is made it safe for the rider and the drivetrain.

Occasional "reverse" on my K75

I got stuck in the mud last week when I was riding to the back of our house where my bike shed is located.:violin

Yelled at the top of my lungs for help to my wife inside. Fortunately, she heard me, came outside and gave me a push---just barely made it but we got it out of the trench made by my wheels.:whistle

Would really have been stuck without her and would have had to lay the bike over on its side had she not been there to help.:p

It would be nice if more models had a reverse gear for precisely such situations, wouldn't it?

Back