• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75/2 Low Seat Model - now Standard Seat

jcpuckett

After flying out to Fresno CA to pick up my "new" 1992 K75/2 and ride it home a very non direct 3,500 miles, I discovered the low seat and my knees did not like each other.

So I bought a new standard seat from San Diego BMW, if memory serves me correctly, for a pretty attractive price.

It arrived and I put it on. It fit tighter than the low seat, but I did not have to force it unduly to get the seat latch to engage. Shortly thereafter I left the K75 at Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO to install YSS rear shock and Hyperpro progressive fork springs 'cause I'm old, fat and ugly.

And I left the next day for Port Arthur, TX.

They also lubed the splines for me (both between engine and transmission and after the transmission). I hesitate to call the latter spline anything associated with the words Final Drive :)

Now the wonderful K75/2 is in Texas. Yesterday I went down to the apartment garage (that I get to pay $150 per month for) to install a Curt Gran www.fuzeblocks.com and discovered that my nice standard seat would not come off. The release leaver works. I can even feel it move the small diameter connecting rod. I even hear what I think is the sound of the latch moving, but I may just be dreaming.

So does anybody know the secret password to get my seat to lift up when I pull the "trigger".

I am taking my bike to Gulf Coast BMW in Houston on Saturday morning for Motolights and a new BT45 rear tire. I hope they don't have to saw my seat in half to get it off.

Jim, I have a low-seat K75 that I built up a bit with some dense foam and a wooden bead seat pad---now my knees are OK on long rides---but I know just what you mean.

Someday I will have my Sargeant recovered and built up with new foam. I've thought about going to a high seat but that runs a lot of $$$. As far as I know, the high seat is a completely different mounting system:

The low seat latches at the front and slips into two latches on the rear of the cowl.

The high seat is hinged and opens up (swings on one side) like a piano. Did you install this hinge with the high seat or are you still using the front latch?

If so, that is your problem and I hope you don't have to saw it in half or something as drastic as that to remove it. Perhaps Paul or Don can chime in here with further info....

When you say that it is tight what do you mean? Did you swap all the necessary parts when you went from a low to standard seat? This includes removing the tank pad.

Got any pictures?

I'm pretty sure I tried that seat on my 1993 K 75 /2 low seater. I saw it advertised on eBay and since I lived nearby SDBMWMC, I rode over there to take a gander. I couldn't seem to get the the seat to fit right without jamming so I gave up. Of course I have no pictures, but I can attest that the seat was not configured to swing up on hinges.

I'm pretty sure I tried that seat on my 1993 K 75 /2 low seater. I saw it advertised on eBay and since I lived nearby SDBMWMC, I rode over there to take a gander. I couldn't seem to get the the seat to fit right without jamming so I gave up. Of course I have no pictures, but I can attest that the seat was not configured to swing up on hinges.

You are correct. The seat I bought from San Diego has exactly the same hardware as the low seat. No side mounted hinge or place to mount one. The tank pad did not need to be removed and looks like it belongs there with either the low or standard seat in place.

The standard seat would come off the day I installed it. My bike was at Grass Roots BMW for a couple of months and I was 700 miles south in Texas.

When you say that it is tight what do you mean? Did you swap all the necessary parts when you went from a low to standard seat? This includes removing the tank pad.

Got any pictures?

Tight as in very snug; not a force fit. I've spent more effort getting a R1200GS seat back on.

I will photograph tomorrow evening when I get home from work. I have to leave for work about 1 hour before sunrise.

The seat I bought from San Diego has exactly the same hardware as the low seat. No side mounted hinge or place to mount one. The tank pad did not need to be removed and looks like it belongs there with either the low or standard seat in place.

That's interesting. I didn't know such a thing was OEM.

I did mine the hard way. I have mounted a standard seat on a low seat bike, but I had to make my own bayonets for the back and make a spacer to position the U-shaped front bar.

It is possible the link from the release handle to the hook is out of adjustment or marginally adjusted or the plastic brackets have slipped a little on the left top frame tube. I have made my linkage mount to the frame tube a little more secure with a hose clamp.

Perhaps you could reach up underneath and unhook the front.

Another thought regarding knees with the low seat is to reshape the seat foam so you can sit a little farther back to allow a better seating position or changes of position on long rides. Or cruiser pegs.

Back