Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1200rt brake pad replacment

brake replacement

Great writeup. Do you need to cut the rotors when you change the pads, similar to car rotors?

thanks

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaw1994 View Post
    Great writeup. Do you need to cut the rotors when you change the pads, similar to car rotors?

thanks
    NO. Most car rotors don't need it either, it is just a way for repair shops to make extra cash.

When they get too thin, replace them.

thanks, what if you are feeling a pulsation when stopping? changing the pads would be sufficient? could the rotors be warpped?

Could be warped. Or it could be a case of pad material build up on the rotor. Or floating rotors that don't float any more. Or a bent rotor mounting boss on your wheel.

I you stop hard and then hold the brakes with a strong grip once stopped some pad material can transfer to the pads which will then be felt as a slight pulsation. Cleaning the rotors may help in that situation. I usually give mine a very light cleaning using a scotchbrite pad when changing brake pads. Some folks use sandpaper.

I used scotchbrite, then emery cloth several time on my rotors. Worked as well as can be expected and as miles built up, the result was less effective each time.

Following the 2011 Iron Butt Rally, there was no hope for a cleanup doing anything for the rotors so at something like 72,000 miles, I replaced both the rotors and pads on my 07.

It's like I'm on a new bike now.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442