• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Uncomfortable seat

badgertom

I am planning a long trip and I believe that the seat on my 2008 R1200R is going to be a problem. After riding a few hundred miles the seat becomes unconfortable. Has anyone tried the gel seat pad, or the sheepskin seat covers? I hate to buy a new seat at this time. Are there any other suggestions. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Go to a bicycle shop and get some riding shorts. The Lycra kind with a chamois in the crotch. Wear them under your pants. They work great!

I am planning a long trip and I believe that the seat on my 2008 R1200R is going to be a problem. After riding a few hundred miles the seat becomes unconfortable. Has anyone tried the gel seat pad, or the sheepskin seat covers? I hate to buy a new seat at this time. Are there any other suggestions. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have been using beads for years and like them alot. check this site
www.beadrider.com
For a comparision check this site
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/motorcycle_seat_comfort_pads/index.html

Attachments

• 2009_02272-27-090026-1.jpg
    2009_02272-27-090026-1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 496
More comfortable seat

I got a 'thousand mile' sheep skin at the Gillette Rally. I wouldn't want to ride without it now, either hot or cold weather. I call it a 'thousand mile' because I rode over a thousand miles just to get there.

Go to a bicycle shop and get some riding shorts. The Lycra kind with a chamois in the crotch. Wear them under your pants. They work great!

+1 Bicycle shorts. They don't have the seems like regular underwear have.

I was totally shocked to read than somebody actually thought that an OEM BMW seat wasn't completely comfortable. Wow!:blush

I've been very pleased with my "bead seat" on my R1150R. It's cheap and if you get tired of riding on it, toss it in a case.

+2

Beads are great. And cheap.

Be careful with lycra products. If you have sensitive skin or you are prone to dermatitis, you may be creating more problems that you are trying solve.

If you intend to keep the bike for a long time, then put a Russel Day Long Seat on your holiday wish list.

I too use the sheepskin and wash it in Woolite after a long trip to refluff it.Mine is the Aerostich version with velcro straps underneath the OEM seat. To answer your question it matters how much money youv'e got,how long your legs are and just how sore is your butt? The point being, that for me with short legs and no possibilities of going to a thicker seat , no matter who makes it, I wear the nice undies and put a sheepskin on the crappy seat that comes with the neat bike and ride on, squirming away as I ride!:thumb
I have always had a bad feeling about the idea of riding a bike sitting on beads? I know they are in common use , it just seems squirrely...:dunno

I ended up with a custom seat

A couple of years ago I tried a strap-to-the-seat gel pad. It felt great but it raised my head just above the OEM touring windshield, and the buffeting was too much to handle on multi-day trips.

If head-buffeting isn't an issue, you may want to try the gel option (mine's for sale right now BTW):dance PM me if you're interested.

So I bit the bullet and went to our local seatmaker, Rich's of Seattle and had a custom leather one made, and haven't looked back.

Expensive, but money doesn't matter when you're half way across Wyoming...

I'll ad that, if , at this point in my life I was trying to have kids I would show more respect for the " family " and ride another brand!:whistle

Horse bare back pad

My other form of travel was horse back. I have a 3" thick pad covered in sheep skin that fits my R11RS just great. I can secure it to the seat mounts on the under side and it stays in place.

I have an Airhawk cushion, and find it the best money I have ever spent.
Sheep skin is OK, but not as good as the Airhawk.

Been down the Corbin, and Sargent path, but no patch on the Airhawk.
Currently have it on my GSPD.

I tried the beads a few weeks ago and was impressed. I went to Autozone and for $12 I bought a bead cushion for cars. Then I bought some 50lb. fishing line at Wally World and proceeded to to make my own cushion to fit the motorbike's seat. You don't have to takethe whole thing apart, just figure out what shape you want and then run the new fishing ling line around the perimeter of your new layout BEFORE you cut any string. You do a little tying of fishing lines and you there you have it. I bought some nylon string at Wally World in the sports dept. that is used in fishing and use it to strap it all on the seat.

I rode 594 miles in one day had my butt had no issues. I could not believe it. The best part about it is it's cheap, can be removed when not needed, and you can probably make about 3 of these cushions out of one $12 car cushion.

I highly recommend you trying this.

Back