• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

scorpion exo 1000 helmets?

bandman

I am in the market for another helmet. In the past, I have either purchased Aria or Shoei helmets. I think their quality is great. This past Friday, I went to a local dealer and saw the Scorpion EXO 1000. It is very quiet while riding; quieter than either of my other two helmets (Aria Quantum and Shoei), Has a retractable sun visor inside and has a pump inside for a constant custom fit. The air can also be let out with a little button. It is a very clean looking lid. It is about half the money of the Aria. Fresh air can circulate very well inside if you need cooling. This is done with four adjustable intakes and 6 exits. Does anyone have experience with this helmets? Do they hold up? It seems like a lot of helmet for the money. What say you?:dunno

Last edited:
I've had one about a year and use it occasionally. The air pump seems a bit of a gimmick. Mine won't hold the air for more than about 30 minutes. The inside visor is very nice and effective. I primarily bought it for Scorpion's reputation for fog-free visors, and it was great for about a year. Lately it seems to be fogging up like other helmets. I do think it's quieter than my Nolan flip-up, but it sure is hard getting sunglasses on after the helmet is on!

The Scorpion visors are coated on the inside. Whatever they use washes off easily. You can re-coat them with a solution of dish detergent....or something like FogTech.

I love the EXO-700 model, but the 1000 doesn't ft me. The internal visor wants to chop my nose off. :dunno

I bought one last May. Used it for about 15,000 km before I broke the snaps that hold the cheek pads in place on a trip last August. Much quieter than either my Shoei or Schubert. Much lighter than the latter. The vents do a better job of cooling the head and do it quieter than the Shoei. Love the helmet as compared to my first two.

Local distributor wouldn't send replacement snaps; they wanted the helmet The store salesman called Scorpion directly and later that same day (Friday) I was asked what day would be convenient for me to meet with the Scorpion rep in their store. I suggested the following Monday at 11:30 a.m. would work for me. The rep rode his bike from Toronto (120 miles) to my local store. He replaced the cheek pad snaps (that I had taken out incorrectly). When I put the helmet on, he didn't like how the left side of the shield met the weather stripping and he couldn't fix it to his liking. Since the store did not have the same colour in stock. He called his Toronto office and ordered a new one. Took a week for the new replacement to show up.

By the way, we both left the store at the same time. He got on his bike to ride back to Toronto. The sole purpose of his trip was to repair my helmet, which he ended up replacing. Customer service often seems to be lacking these days, but obviously not at Scorpion. I got more than I had anticipated.

Excellent helmet with convenient drop down sun visor and excellent customer service.:thumb :ca

That Scorpion Rep bought priceless word of mouth advertising for the cost of a helmet: excellent story.

I don't have an EXO 1000, but I own the 700. I also have an Arai, but I tend to grab the Scorpion when I ride mainly because of the fog free shield. I don't believe the Scorpion build quality is quite as good as the Arai, but it is very good in my opinion. One thing I added to the Scorpion that I really like is their Aero Skirt. It seems to keep more of the cold air off of my face in the wintertime and it also seems to make it a little quieter.

There is one minor thing I don't like about it, but I have learned to live with it. When you open the shield to the first notch, it opens a lot farther than I am accustomed to. All of my other helmets open just a crack when doing this. This may not be the case with the 1000, but it is with the 700.

There is one minor thing I don't like about it, but I have learned to live with it. When you open the shield to the first notch, it opens a lot farther than I am accustomed to. All of my other helmets open just a crack when doing this. This may not be the case with the 1000, but it is with the 700.
It is the same and I agree with you. It will stay open just a crack, but you must lock it into position and conversely, unlock to totally close it. I would prefer to just be able to lift and close without the locking feature. Speaking of the shield, it does have grab tabs on both sides. My Shoei's shield only has a grab tab on one side, which is usually awkward if you wish to open it when stopped at a light.

Another;

I had the Shoei, Arai as my last helmets also and found them way too pricey to repeat after a lot of years riding with them! HJC got my business this time. CJMax flip helmet is my choice and is equal to my previous $$$ helmets:). Actually a bit quieter. Scorpion, too looked very good to me, but my size was not available and I wanted a fliper again. Some of these helmet folks are pricing themselves out of business, I feel. Maybe not, but they lost me...Randy

EXO and RF

I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 and it is quite robust and had good airflow.
I have a size large, and my skull diameter is 23 1/2". Maybe I should have an XL but I use the large on occasion only as it matches my jacket.
What I don't like about the large EXO 1000 is that it is awfully abrasive on my cheek bones!
We all do errands on our bikes, and in the course of 3 stops, I will take off and put on my helmet about 6 or 8 times. I've experienced significant chaffing of my cheeks every time I put on and take off this helmet.
I'm thinking of sizing up to a size XL, but am waiting to hear from my sources.
What I'm using most regularly is a SHOEI RF 700 FF in size large.
I think it is a great helmet, but is second hand, and I think it needs replacment; a topic for another thread.
Lastly, about the EXO 1000, is that the sun shade/visor does not always come down fully, though retracts fully.
When I want the sun shade in place, I put it down FIRST, before I put on the helmet, and there it stays... funny, I know...
I've tested the sun shade on and off my head. It always deflects down fully off my head, and comes up-retracts fully, when I'm in my living room and just testing my gear out before hitting the road. But, while on my head, it only comes down about 50% of the time. I don't know if it is a canted mechanism, or just a twist of fate.
As of late, I'm letting my wife use the Scorpion EXO 1000 and it fit her fine with the bladder pump.
I'm researching, possibly a Shoei RF 1000 FF size XL, or a Scorpion EXO 1000 FF in size XL to prevent further cheek chaffing.
Just my 2 cents.

I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 and it is quite robust and had good airflow. I agree.
I have a size large, and my skull diameter is 23 1/2". Maybe I should have an XL but I use the large on occasion only as it matches my jacket.
What I don't like about the large EXO 1000 is that it is awfully abrasive on my cheek bones! In 20,000 km, I've never had that problem.
We all do errands on our bikes, and in the course of 3 stops, I will take off and put on my helmet about 6 or 8 times. I've experienced significant chaffing of my cheeks every time I put on and take off this helmet. Never happened to me.
I'm thinking of sizing up to a size XL, but am waiting to hear from my sources.
What I'm using most regularly is a SHOEI RF 700 FF in size large.
I think it is a great helmet, but is second hand, and I think it needs replacment; a topic for another thread.
Lastly, about the EXO 1000, is that the sun shade/visor does not always come down fully, though retracts fully. Must be just your helmet. Have you checked that the sun visor is inserted correctly?
When I want the sun shade in place, I put it down FIRST, before I put on the helmet, and there it stays... funny, I know...
I've tested the sun shade on and off my head. It always deflects down fully off my head, and comes up-retracts fully, when I'm in my living room and just testing my gear out before hitting the road. But, while on my head, it only comes down about 50% of the time. I don't know if it is a canted mechanism, or just a twist of fate. Talk to a Scorpion dealer about this problem. Never experienced this.
As of late, I'm letting my wife use the Scorpion EXO 1000 and it fit her fine with the bladder pump.
I'm researching, possibly a Shoei RF 1000 FF size XL, or a Scorpion EXO 1000 FF in size XL to prevent further cheek chaffing.
Just my 2 cents.

Your experience with the Apollo must be unique as I have never experienced any of these problems.

I was in the market for a helmet...read all the reviews (several times) on line...tried a few on, and ended up with an HJC CL-SP...so far so good for me...

Back