• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K12S screen

john1691

I am 5'10" and would like just a little less wind/buffeting. Anyone using the Double Bubble or MRA touring screens? What do you like? What don't you like? Thanks!

I have a Secdem screen. I think it is about 1.5" taller than stock. I bought at Twin Cities BMW in Savoy IL. I had never heard of that brand before seeing it there. Cjack told me that is what he had on his K1200s so I gave it a try.

Before
before.jpg

After
after.jpg

Just was delivered a MRA Touring Screen..have not got a chance to give a ride report as I just put it on. Simple installation..make sure you don't loose the washers from your oem screen as they are easy to fall out when disassembling the oem from the bike.

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton, Pa.

I have a Secdem screen. I think it is about 1.5" taller than stock. I bought at Twin Cities BMW in Savoy IL. I had never heard of that brand before seeing it there. Cjack told me that is what he had on his K1200s so I gave it a try.

How well did it work? Big difference?? Quenta costa?

First impressions of the MRA Touring screen at 'legal' speeds did raise the clear air a bit higher for my 5'11" height over the stock screen. One thing I did notice that the new screen deflected air more around the hand grips..wish I had this screen before I went to Bike Week.

I have to put more milage on to get a better feel for the screen especially at 'Touring' speeds..but the initial impression seems less wind noise though I wear ear plugs..

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

'08 K1200S

I have an MRA windscreen on my KS. I find it MUCH better than the stock screen. My arms and shoulders are protected, and my head is in (relatively) clean air.

In contrast, with the stock screen, the wind hits my shoulders and upper arms and creates turbulence around my helmet (and a lot of noise).

I've used the MRA screen at the track, too, and it is easier to tuck behind.

I'm 6'1" tall

peterh

Finally got some 'Touring' (higher speeds) miles on this MRA screen and I have to admit it exhibits less buffeting at the helmet level as compared to the stock oem screen..thus less fatiguing on longer rides...

Thanks, Clay. Looks like I'll be getting a new shield. I like the looks of the double buble, but I am more interested in less turbulance.

FYI...I to was interested in the Double Bubble..but Twisted Throttle advised me that that the Touring version was the most popular amongst the K1200S riders..

Bumping this back up...

I need to replace the screen on my 08 K1200S, as it was damaged when the bike was being shipped to me. I'm 6'2, and I think the stock screen needs to be just a little bit lower to deflect more of the air to my chest, rather than to my neck. So I'm thinking the touring screen or double bubble will cause the air to hit me straight in the helmet, thus increasing the noise.

From what I have read, it seems like the OEM screen is the only one I can do. I see that MRA makes a smoked version of it, but does anyone make a shorter screen?

Thanks,

- Anthony

For raising the windstream 2-4" without buying a new screen, one can use Saeng's Micro-swirl windscreen edging. It works! I had to put my K-GT screen way up before putting the micro swirl on it to cut the wind noise in my ears, with the Micro-swirl edging, I only need to raise the 'screen and inch or so. Amazing stuff, and cheap at the price (one of the few Saeng things that are!).:clap

I am 6'-1" and the stock screen isn't bad as far as turbulence but I get a lot of bugs on my face shield and jacket. I would like something maybe just a little taller but at the same time I don't want to take the wind off of my shoulders because the wind helps hold me up at speed taking pressure off of my wrists. Decisions, decisions...

Cee Bailey does great windshields that you can get for just about any size setup you want... and where you want the air. And their 'shields are of OEM thickness rather than thin like Aeroflows, though the latter are OK too once you put in the mounting spacers they send with their thin 'shields. And Suburban Machinery make a set of great barbacks for use on the '06 and later Wedge bikes -- that are made to work with the adjustable bars on the K12/1300GTs. They get you out of the 'ride on the wrists' lean. Helps wrist pain tremendously--i.e., like keeping it from happening.

my experience

I bought this MRA touring screen from Pirate and like it. At 6-1 the only thing the adjustable deflector does is change the level at which bugs splatter on my face shield.

seat001.jpg

Back