• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Definition of Vintage

fish said:
Is there a standard definition of "vintage"? /2 yes but /5 no? Please educate me.

That's where I'd make the split.

I'd call /5s Airheads and /2 vintage.

Re: Re: Definition of Vintage

flash412 said:
The Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, Ltd. defines "vintage" as more than 25 years old.
What is a "Classic" defined as? Are there any other classifications that we don't know about?

Are these definitions generally accepted, or does it vary from organization to organization?

Classic Vs. Vintage

As noted, the Vintage BMW Owners of America uses 25 years to define Vintage. However, Antique Motorcycle Club of America (all brands but heavily American) uses 30 years to be Vintage.
Other forums, See Boxerworks.com, breaks into Pre 1955 for Vintage and 1955 till 1969 as Classic.
Don't know how much difference it makes. I own a 69 R60US and all I know is that it fun to ride, gathers more attn. than my 98 R1200C, and is Special to me!
Mark

Interesting!
The Virginia DMV List any thing over 25 Yrs as Antique and nothing as Vintage.
I always figured if you rode it, it was Vintage!
if you towed it it was Antique!

Just another 2 cents. Bones: dunno

Last edited:
Just my $0.02. I think PA uses the antique must be 25 years and you can drive to showes and in day light hours. Vintage is under 25 and has no limit on hours of day you can drive but limit it to number of miles per year. :dunno

Will report this in more detail after the rally.

See you in Charleston:clap

Vintage worries

As a member of the AMC and Vintage BMW. The standard seems to come from how much you worry about the motorcycle when left parked. However it's important to ride these machines not block them off with red velvet ropes (well not all of them)

Vintage Def

When I first joined Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, Ltd. all /2s were designated as Classic and anything older was Vintage.

Then at a meeting, at the Rhinebeck MOA rally two years ago I think, the motion was presented and passed to designate all /2s and older as Vintage and to pull in /5s as Classic. This was in recognition of both the age and the growing rarity of the /5s. I don't recall anything mentioned about a 25 year cut-off.

So it's a matter of who's definition you want to accept. I prefer to go by the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners Def as they appear to be the primary supporter of the Vintage BMW mark in this country.

R60Rider -
1966 R60 purchased in 1966 and still going strong.
1969 R69US purchased three years ago and sort of cranky compared to the R60.

Static vitage display

Vintage display at 04 rally in WV was great, I rode my 57 /2 about 200 miles in the Mt's and around town great time:clap

Vintage Display

I trailered the '69 R69S to Charleston, arriving on Thursday, but my wife and I had so much fun riding around the area that I didn't put it into the display until Saturday. I love putting a beautiful, pristine, vintage bike into the display with a windshield splattered with of bugs. Evidently the judges, if there were some, didn't like it, but do I give a $hit? NAHHHHHH!

One gripe: Was there a judging? If so, when, what were the classes and what were the results? This was very poorly run compared to my last rally in Rhinebeck, IMO.

R60rider@VintageBMW.net

Back