• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT Replacement Battery

toddschaefer

Does anyone have a part number or suggestion on a replacement battery for a 2007 R1200RT? The OEM battery is rather expensive and the original only lasted two riding seasons.

Here is the 'part number' for what is in the R1200RT:

BMW Battery #: 61.21 – 2 306 200

As for replacing it, I have an '05 R1200RT with the original battery still going strong.

This Spring, I did drop in a Westco that a fellow BMW rider gave me free, but had that deal not come along, I'd still be running the OEM from '05, which now rests on my workbench, charged up once a month as a standby.

Not sure why you only got 24 months out of it?

Last edited:
Replacing battery

Hi.

I too have an 05 R12RT with the original battery. Does just fine.
I recently changed a battery on my K75 after eight years (8). No reason. I just figured that it is at the end of its life.

Doron

I recently changed a battery on my K75 after eight years (8). No reason. I just figured that it is at the end of its life.

Wow, I hope my wife doesn't develop the same attitude about me. She's had me way over 8 years; but, my charge is down a bit and my starter is dragging. ;)

Wow, I hope my wife doesn't develop the same attitude about me. She's had me way over 8 years; but, my charge is down a bit and my starter is dragging. ;)

As long as your warning lights go off when you get up out of your chair to move, there is still some juice left in you. I'd mention a trickle charger, but I hate to use that word in the presence of old men. :whistle ;)

Does anyone have a part number or suggestion on a replacement battery for a 2007 R1200RT? The OEM battery is rather expensive and the original only lasted two riding seasons.

I ordered the UB12220 from www.BatteriesASAP at 42.95 yesterday. 7.00 shipping to Massena NY. Its a 22Ah battery that fits fine in the RT.

The local BMW dealer quoted me 327.29 for the OEM replacement. When I questioned the price the service tech said it was because of the CANBUS system requirements. :bolt

Lots of folks have used the 'alternate' battery, either the UB12220 from Batteries ASAP ( $42.95 ) or the UB22-12N from eBatteries ( $74.95 ) with absolutely no issues.

Oh, and BatteriesASAP has a 5% discount coupon ( Z13109B5 ) good until the end of March.

Jim

What is your rule of thumb for battery replacement?
Is there a fixed rule? I've heard 3 years. I've heard "hey, I don't buy new until the old dies". I don't know if I like the latter response, seeing it could "die" while you are on the road.

I have an '07 RT as well. Had it on the official BMW charger on and off all winter. I'd let it sit a week or two then throw on the charger and let it cycle. Bike fired right off last weekend, first start since November.
So is my battery good or . . . . .

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really just want to replace the battery to make sure I don't have any issues on the road this year. My wife and I take a lot of long trips and I don't want to worry about the motorcycle not starting when we're hundreds of miles from home (or a dealer). The engine was turning over a little slow last fall so I figure it's time for a replacement. I had a 2003 K1200LT and a 2004 K1200GT and in both bikes the batteries only lasted two years. Maybe it something I'm doing to shorten the battery life?

The terminals are not facing the same direction as the original battery. Does the UB12220 come with adapters or did you purchase them separate?

Good question, (adapters...), I doubt the battery comes with any adapters since it is sold as a 'universal' battery. And from what I have read elsewhere there wasn't supposed to be any fitment issues. Drop it in and go...However I haven't received the battery yet so I guess I'll know better when I get it home.

For that price I could afford to have adapters made, ( or make them myself ) out of pure silver ;) .

My understanding was the most you have to do is use a piece of cardboard to fill the 1/4" space in the stock battery holder not used by the replacement battery. Oh, and drill/file out the terminal openings to 1/4" size. They are just slightly too small for the stock bolts.

I'll be happy to post comments after I get the battery home and installed.

Jim

BMW has a warranty on these;

The battery(from BMW) is fully warrantied for 2 years, not prorated either! Are you past the two year mark??? All replaced batteries by BMW are 2 years also, so keep it in mind:) Randy

steps to battery replacement 2007 r1200rt?

I've a dead battery (despite my BMW trickle charger reading green). Where can I read the steps to choosing a new battery and then to replacing it? What kind of battery should I buy? What dangers are there to this process that I must avoid? Will I need tools I might not have already as an average somewhat handy homeowner?

The battery is easy to replace. Wesco and Odyssey I think are the most popular. Take the old one out, put the new one in. I didn't need any adapters on my Odyssey. The wires I just twisted 90 degrees and mounted them flat on the battery.

Piece of cake.

Just keep in mind that the battery (at least, on an '07 RT) is a gel cell...

In disconnecting the battery, negative cable first then positive. Installing battery positive first then negative. Your bike and wrench will be much happier this way;)

Back