Thread: R1100R heated grip switch wire too short?

R1100R heated grip switch wire too short?

When I installed my heated grips the friend that helped me said the switch wire was to short. It needed to reach back under the tank to a connection and it was only about 6" long. Did we miss another connection in the instrument cluster that was closer? All the other wires from the dash ran back under the tank so it seemed like it should go there too.

I bought the entire kit from Bob's BMW and rechecked the part number. Just wondering what the problem is.

Can anyone tell me how they wired theris if you have the same bike? Mine is a 2000, and I know the instrument cluster is different from some others I've seen...

Thank you...I'm new to the list, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum but I think I'm where I should be...

Patti B

R1100R '00
    F560 '99

heated grip wire

Well since I got no replies I did my own investigation and found the problem. The switch and wire that comes in the kit is for bikes built prior to '97. Why Bob's BMW didn't know this I don't know. There is different switch and part number for bikes after '97 which I ordered but they wouldn't swap the switch...oh well

Hope this helps someone else.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

I have a 95 R1100R and am considering installing heated grips. Perhaps I can help you get rid of this useless device. Send me a PM or email to kramlavud@yahoo.com
    regards,
    Mark