Thread: You might want to check something on your 1997 F650ST !!!

You might want to check something on your 1997 F650ST !!!

I have a BMW 1997 F650ST that I purchased just over 2 years ago from a private owner. It only had 950 miles on it at the time. Shortly after I started riding it, it would occasionally die while I was sitting idling, say at a stop sign.

I was sure that the bike needed to have the carburetors taken apart and cleaned, but I did not start the project until tonight.

This is not a quick project, you have to take off many parts including the airbox. After I started to remove the airbox, I noticed that the throats of the carburetors were filthy. So I started to look at the inside of the air box and noticed it was dirty also.

AND I NOTICED I COULD SEE ALL THE WAY THROUGH - THERE WAS NO AIR CLEANER IN THE AIR BOX

I am pretty sure it must have come that way from the factory. Who would change the air cleaner on a bike in the first 950 miles, especially considering all the time it takes to get the airbox out and open.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 2015 KTM 690 Enduro (Sold: 1992 K75S, and many more)

klw457
    My air box did have the filter, however it had a healthy dose of old jelled gas.

plus a melted hole probably from running hot (from a lean mixture). Note that when I first got my bike it would stall at stops, especially after long runs. My mechanic said the bike was running lean and he gave it a richer mix. Never had an issue with stalls after that. There is some good advice on the Chain Gang FAQ's http://f650.com/ that should help you with the stalling issue. Flash's DVD has an alternate method of removing the carbs that works well.

If there is any advice I would offer when buying an older bike, especially a low mileage one, it would be to assume that it was never serviced and check/service everything.

F650 Air Cleaner

OK, here is the real story- the foam air cleaner disintegrated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 R1200 GSA, 2015 KTM 690 Enduro (Sold: 1992 K75S, and many more)

klw457
    I guess it proves how tough the Rotax engine is. It can run on foam! OTOH, your air filter was probably never serviced. That big of a change in airflow would make your bike run lean. IMHO, replace the filter, clean the carbs, replace the fuel filter in the carb. and the petcock, fill with fresh gas, set the idle screws to 3.5 turns and see how that works.

Good luck!

'97 ST here too;

In the family, I might say. My daughter got one from ME, for an early graduation gift from Dad. University of AZ. Graduate this Spring. I found her F650ST in Sante Fe about a year and a half ago and she has been riding it everywhere, even to Canada and back, SOLO girl trip. Quite a good rider, as she grew up as my BMW GS passenger a lot of years. Her ST has near 40000 miles on it now and runs swell. It had 23000 when she got it. The air filter story is a good one, I've not heard...BTW; Jessica's husband now, also rides a F650 Dakar and they are both new to our BMWMOA. US Navy Pilots, both of them..Randy

Sweet!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles