• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ouch !!.... That HuRtS !!

motofranz

Has this ever happened to you ??

OKay,
Saturday morning ,light traffic,full tank of gas,...
I'm outta here..

Headed for Otway Covered Bridge in Ohio .(to place a letterbox)

About 2 minutes in to my ride I felt something hit under my slghtly opened face shield.
Oh ,prolly just a bug of some kind.
Then reality set in, and also the pain.
A bee flew in my bonnet,and stung me under my chin !

Got off the road,pulled my helmet off ,and get that stinger out .

Throbbing pain for a couple of hours,
but I didn't die !
But the ride East was beautiful.

Not one in the face (yet)

Had a big dude bounce off my knee last summer and proceed to sting me on my thigh. Think it was a hornet (they hurt me more than bees).
My leg started burning and I danced around at the next stop sign for a couple minutes much to the amusement of my riding partner.
Once I whacked a bird with my helmet - or it whacked me.

Oh yeah. I've had a couple of those.

Blue Ridge Parkway, maybe 97 or so. I'm pulling out of one of the overlooks, visor open and catch a bee right on the temple. He starts to sting me, so I pull over, rip off my helmet and pull what's left of him out of my head. My right temple swells to humongousness.

Later, maybe 98. I'm riding down the road in Massachusetts with my visor shut and the top of my 'stich open. We're going to get ice cream. The top of my Tshirt is getting blown open a bit and I catch a big bug right on the visor, but it bounces off. I don't think any more of it until we stop for ice cream and something is crawling around in my Tshirt. I isolate it by grabbing a bunch of shirt and then turn it inside out. It's a big ol' wasp.

This summer, going up the Feather River Canyon. It's a beautiful day and I've got my visor open so I can smell that wonderful high sierras on a warm day smell. It's pine and heat and dead grass and it's intoxicating. I catch a big bug, again on the right temple, but don't get stung, so I figure the impact killed it. A bit later, I feel something crawling around IN MY EAR! I stop, rip off my helmet and gloves and sure enough, a bee is busily stinging the living daylights out of my helmet liner. I poke him out of the helmet with a stick Tina hands me.

I hate bugs.

Ouch !!

Oh, Now I get it ....
That's why those "Harley Guys" don't wear helmets,or protective jackets...The bees and bugs just bounce off .......

pretty smart ....

I just had to pass two of 'em today crawling along at 55...... :)

KBasa said:
This summer, going up the Feather River Canyon. It's a beautiful day and I've got my visor open so I can smell that wonderful high sierras on a warm day smell. It's pine and heat and dead grass and it's intoxicating. I catch a big bug, again on the right temple, but don't get stung, so I figure the impact killed it. A bit later, I feel something crawling around IN MY EAR! I stop, rip off my helmet and gloves and sure enough, a bee is busily stinging the living daylights out of my helmet liner. I poke him out of the helmet with a stick Tina hands me.

I hate bugs.

Similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago coming down the Feather River Canyon. Felt a smack in my chin and think nothing about it. Look down and I see a bee, stuned, sitting on the ledge of the face shield inside my helmet. Afraid to open the shield at speed so I begin to slow as he begins to wake up. The race is on. Manage to get the bike stopped before he does a number on my face. OPend the shield and off he goes Whew!!

Stung!

I was stung yesterday on the neck riding south of Hollister on our way to Coalinga.
I made some mud...

stung.JPG

I keep procrastinating putting together a first aid kit to carry with me on the ride.I'm not allergic to bee stings, but my local doctor wrote me a prescription for an epi-pen (epinephrine administered through a needle, for emergency allergic reactions). I keep it at the house since I have a couple of friends that are extremely allergic. If you ride with groups on occasion, you might want to consider keeping one of these in your first aid kit.

BTW Cliffy, I got hit 5-6 months ago by a pretty big crow. Saw it from the corner of my left eye and before I could duck, it smacked me hard on the chin portion of my full face Shoei. It really snapped my head back. I looked down and thought I was covered in blood. After getting stopped I noticed the "blood" was still bright red and after careful examination realized the bird had regurgitated a belly full of red berries. It's full face helmets for me, thank you.

James O

I think retread carcasses are probably the worst. Yup, that was the most painful thing so far.

A piece of retread came out from a semi-trailer. Hit the fairing, hit my shoulder, hit my helmet, and then my back. Yup. OWWWWW

Brad,
Next to Bambi in the mountains, my next biggest fear is the infamous, tire carcass. Scares the crap out of me when I see them on the road. Almost impossible in the city to stay back far enough from the vehicle you are following to avoid them. So far I've not had the pleasure.

James O

Interesting trivia: those tire carcass bits are known among truckers as GATORS.

I had a birdstrike to the helmet about two years ago in Oklahoma. I think it was about the size of a pigeon but never got much a look at it, just saw a dark blur in my peripheral vision then my head got whacked back. It hit just above the right temple area and must've rolled right over the top and kept flying as I saw no trace of it when I pulled over and stopped in short order.

Hit a big ol' black bird at around 75-80 once on my Kaw, it caught the mirror stem which pretty much sliced it in two, one half hit me in the chest the other in the shoulder, just about knocked the handlebars out of my grip, pulled over and had a big bruse on my shoulder, blood and feathers and guts all over my leather jacket from the bird, yuck! Took a while to recover from the shock of impact and to clean things off as best I could. Not a whole lot of fun.:cry

Only had one "bee in bonnet" experiance, amazing how quickly you can pull off the road and rip a helmet off, ain't it?:D A good emergency treatment for bee stings to get the swelling down and nutralize the posion is wet tobacco pressed over the sting.

RM

Not a bee sting, but had some sort of insect make it's way up under my helmet and into my eye. I used some of my drinking water to try to flush it out, but living in Phoenix and with it being 115 degrees and dry, I knew better to use all of my water. As I was nearing home I just gutted it out and kept trying to make tears as a flushing source. By the time I reached home my eye was swollen shut.

I had a bee smack me hard in the middle of the chest once.It was like the rope a dope,I could see him coming in a slow corkscrew action,but I couldn't get out of his way.Thunk!!

Another one.I was just pulling into a gas station,going slow,on a real hot day.Something flew into my helmet,about 15 feet away from the pump.I was coming in under power and thought oh oh.It was quiet for a second,but then it got busy,stinging me repeatedly on the side of the head inside my helmet,which I am frantically clawing at to undo with my gloves on(atgatt),straddling the bike no hands while it drifts to the pump stalling...luckily we didn't all fall in a heap to the amusement of all the onlookers...

Last:before the helmet seemed like a good idea to me in Manitoba,I used to eat a lot of bug , riding helmetless.Lost a lot of sunglasses too...Besides riding through swarms of fishflies(mayflies),the one I remember best was the dragonfly that splatted on my mirror,discharging all of its surprisingly large load of bug guts all over my face.

Yep,full face.

When I was 18 I was riding my CB350 down a backroad in Albany Oregon when a bee hit my shoulder stinger first.

I thought at first I had been shot. My shoulder felt like a 2X4 had hit it, them my whole arm went numb. It took everything I had not to wreck and stop without falling off.

Took 20 min before I could feel my arm and hand again. HUGE bruise on my shoulder that lasted a week!

Jim:brow

Yeah that 'corkscrew action' is very familiar to me. Every time I'm out enjoying the backroads and stop for fuel, if I clean the faceshield this will never fail to happen: within three miles back on the road I'll see that black dot out ahead, slowly spiraling in. It always hits right on that between-the-eyes spot where I can't look around it or pretend it's not there. Always a big red or yellow or some-unnamed-colour splotch. Dunno how those bugs got so good at always hitting me right there, but they do.
Thank goodness I've always worn full-face designs.

Most memorable altercations with other life-forms over 35 years:

Bee up the right jacket sleeve (stung me)
Bee down the shirt (stung me)
Hornet or wasp sting between the fingers (couldn't move my clutch hand for about 2 hours)
Gypsy moth catepillar hanging from a tree in the dark got me right between the eyes (YUK!!)
Small dog (dog did not survive)
Another small dog (it survived and never chased me again)
Pheasant (just about took me off the bike)

In every case, I was able to keep the rubber down. I never want to meet anything like Bambi.

My least pleasant encounter with living road hazzards was a sparrow that took flight from the shoulder of the road while I was going by and bounced off my knee-cap.

I was riding on back roads with one of my Harley rider buddies. He had his legs stretched out on his highway pegs and a bug flew up his trouser leg. He immediately went to the side of the road and by the time I got turned around, he had his pants around his ankles, digging out a big ol' grasshopper. Apparently they bite, hard.

Doing the parking lot wasp dance

Last week, while riding the trusty S, a small wasp flew up the loosened wrist cuff of my jacket. I could feel this guy "just going to town" with real attitude on my right arm. I quickly pulled into a local post office parking lot, and ripped off my jacket like a madman, all the while dancing around like I was having a serious "Woodstock quality" drug flashback halucination, and muttering damnable curses on the entire phylum of arthropods.
When I looked up, several people were staring at me. I can't blame them, it must have been a comical sight.
The wasp? He flew out of may jacket without a scratch, but of course! My arm is just about back to normal. I suppose that I got off lightly....it was a typical warm Florida day and I was riding with the helmet visor half up. If that little fella had hit me in the face......YOWZA!

a fix for bee stings

I remembered a artical in one of the hunting and fishing magizines about how to make a bee sting go away. I have used it and it works very well. You take your jumper cables and hold them about one inch apart and stroke the area of the sting, with the sting in the middel. The 12 volts will neuterlize the proten in the veniom. In a few minuits all is forgoton.

Back