• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

kream coating in gas tank

I think it's Kreem. I used POR-15 and have had no issues.

I also put POR-15 into two tanks. It's a lot of work, but it seems to be doing the job fine.

Kreem - bad

I used it with bad results. I stored my bike for 10 years in a warehouse after having coated the tank with kreem. The most difficult thing about getting the bike back on the road was removing all that kreem from the tank, since much of it had flaked off, so there was a lot of kreem-debris. Stay away from that junk

I used it and am sorry I did. There are better products IMO. A lot of heads like POR. I used a product from Caswell Plating and am very satisfied. I would stay away from Kreem.

Ed

I have used Kream with no problems and very good results. I believe the key is in the tank prep. There can be no rust in the tank, it must be absolutely clean or the Kream will not stick well.

Ralph Sims

I have used Kream with no problems and very good results. I believe the key is in the tank prep. There can be no rust in the tank, it must be absolutely clean or the Kream will not stick well.

Ralph Sims

I think this is true with any of the coatings. POR-15 has a multi step process and following the directions closely is the secret to success, I believe.

separation.....

I Kreemed mine 74/R90S 18 years ago. Just noticed that it's starting to separate from the metal. So now I'm going to have to clean all the that crap off the inside?. And after that just keep the tank full with a good dose of Stabil at all times.

I'm really pissed at myself for doing it to a perfectly sound tank. I don't know what I could have been thinking other than the ads claiming how great the stuff worked.

Any advice concerning how to get rid of this crap would be greatly appreciated.

I Kreemed mine 74/R90S 18 years ago. Just noticed that it's starting to separate from the metal. So now I'm going to have to clean all the that crap off the inside?. And after that just keep the tank full with a good dose of Stabil at all times.

I'm really pissed at myself for doing it to a perfectly sound tank. I don't know what I could have been thinking other than the ads claiming how great the stuff worked.

Any advice concerning how to get rid of this crap would be greatly appreciated.

Acetone will cut it.

Ralph Sims

I used Kreem to bad results. I admit that it could well have been my bad prep. Our local automotive radiater shop will coat the tank. Might want to check that option. Are the new ethonal mix fuels bad for Kreem? Food for thought.

POR 15 Best

it even closes up pinhole leaks, as it is a metalized formula.
This is what the car guys use - a 70 year old car has way more issues than an old Airhead!

The April 2009 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had great write up on POR-15 and they said that tank prep is a must and do not skip any steps.

Back