• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200gt/k1300gt Wind Management

D

DWR302

I love my RT but I have a roving eye. Did a test ride on a K1300GT at Daytona Bike Week and loved that engine. I wonder about the wind protection. The test ride wasn't long enough or fast enough to really tell. Any RT to GT converts out there that could give me your impressions comparing the two?

I have an RT and had the opportunity last week to ride the new GT. I too was very impressed with the bike overall and keep thinking about my 80 mile ride on the freeway (lets say 75mph+). As far as wind protection, the GT windscreen didn't seem to go up as far as the RT, but I really don't like it all the way up because of the negative pressure. Otherwise the fairing provided good protection. Convert? Maybe...

Brian,

I also rode a GT last weekend and found the wind noise to be worse than my RT, which bothers me most all of the time. Plus, the seat and footpeg placement cramped my legs and put pressure on my knees. Finally, the tiny UJM turn signal switch is no good. Other than that, the GT is still a dreamy machine. Before converting, I would try a 1200 RT or Concours 14, or FJR.

I also found that the GT put my legs in a little tighter position and was concerned about that. So I dropped the seat on my RT to the low position, and found that after a couple day trips of roughly 250 miles I got used to the slightly tighter position. Gotta give the old body a chance to adjust.

The stock windshield is not very good. I have put an Aeroflow on my bike and a friend's GT (both 07) and there is a world of difference. Much better protection and NO wind noise. Hope this helps.

I love my RT but I have a roving eye. Did a test ride on a K1300GT at Daytona Bike Week and loved that engine. I wonder about the wind protection. The test ride wasn't long enough or fast enough to really tell. Any RT to GT converts out there that could give me your impressions comparing the two?

I've owned both.
Owned an '07 RT. Fine bike. Sold, long story.
Sold the '08 GT for a number of reasons. To your question, wind and weather protection was not really one of them. I had added an Aeroflow Screen.

l now own an '05 RT.

That all being said..
InMyOpinion... A stock R1200RT has better wind and weather protection than a stock '08 K1200GT with high BMW screen.

The GT was much improved, for my tastes, with the addition of the Aeroflow Screen. Medium height, as I recall.
I had the Aeroguards as well, removed them. They seemed to have a strange effect on the bike at highway speed. I can't recall exactly, seemed as if the bike didn't want to change direction as easily at speed with the Guards on.
I did not keep the bike very long.

Even on my RT, I have added a Cee Bailey Screen. Very nice for my needs.

Hope this helps...
Decisions as this are difficult. So many bikes, opinions, aftermarket products.

DMilan

I've owned both.
Owned an '07 RT. Fine bike. Sold, long story.
Sold the '08 GT for a number of reasons. To your question, wind and weather protection was not really one of them. I had added an Aeroflow Screen.

l now own an '05 RT.

That all being said..
InMyOpinion... A stock R1200RT has better wind and weather protection than a stock '08 K1200GT with high BMW screen.

The GT was much improved, for my tastes, with the addition of the Aeroflow Screen. Medium height, as I recall.
I had the Aeroguards as well, removed them. They seemed to have a strange effect on the bike at highway speed. I can't recall exactly, seemed as if the bike didn't want to change direction as easily at speed with the Guards on.
I did not keep the bike very long.

Even on my RT, I have added a Cee Bailey Screen. Very nice for my needs.

Hope this helps...
Decisions as this are difficult. So many bikes, opinions, aftermarket products.

DMilan

You made the switch back to a RT from the GT's. I'm considering going the other way - could you share why you made the switch?

Bob

You made the switch back to a RT from the GT's. I'm considering going the other way - could you share why you made the switch?

Bob

Hello Bob,

To sum it up, I can say that mostly, I was irritated by some of the normal operating characteristics of my '08 GT. A rather lengthy list. Also, some design and functional aspects were not my cup of tea. The RT12RT is the better choice for me.

Many enjoy their K1200GT II/K1300GT. You might too.

Dmilan

I just went to the 'Dark Side' a month ago and traded my '03 R1200RT on a loaded '06 K1200GT that only had 620 miles on the odo. The only 2 things I added were barbacks and some Saeng Micro-Swirl windshield edging I took off the windscreen of the traded RT. Now the GT windscreen provides quite a bit more protection: raise it just an inch or so and it takes the wind right up and over my helmet for a nice quiet ride even at a sometimes 80-90 mph on the super-slab (when the mounties aren't in close evidence) and I'm still looking well over the top of the windscreen rather than through it. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a Cee-Bailey (I like their OEM windshield thickness much better than Aeroflow's skimpy thin screens), but for now, the OEM high screen that came with the bike, with Saeng's Micro-swirl edging added works just fine.

I love my 'new' K1200GT!:heart

Well I should update this thread since I finally did make the switch to a K1300GT.
Just had to do it. I had put 13k miles on the RT since January, made a couple trips to NC. Liked everything about the RT. Have just put the first 600 miles on the GT and really love the outrageous acceleration. What a monster engine. I know the thing is really gonna eat rear tires. I would say that the wind protection is about 85% of what the RT provided if I had to try to put a number on it. It is pretty darn good and I knew I was going to give up some. At 5'9" I have the seat in the low position and can flat foot at stops. Already used to the ride position. I'll know the full story after putting a couple 500 mile days in. Don't think
I'll need bar backs. Bars currently at highest position. I'll update after a couple thoudand miles.

Attachments

• 001DSC_0367.jpg
    001DSC_0367.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
With my wind screen all the way up, I can ride in the lower triple digits (110-120 mph)with a 3/4 helmet. open face/sunglasses. I'm 5'10. nice ride. a full face would reduce the wind noise in the helmet though, that's my next purchase.

Attachments

• DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 254
I just went to the 'Dark Side' a month ago and traded my '03 R1200RT on a loaded '06 K1200GT that only had 620 miles on the odo. The only 2 things I added were barbacks and some Saeng Micro-Swirl windshield edging I took off the windscreen of the traded RT. Now the GT windscreen provides quite a bit more protection: raise it just an inch or so and it takes the wind right up and over my helmet for a nice quiet ride even at a sometimes 80-90 mph on the super-slab (when the mounties aren't in close evidence) and I'm still looking well over the top of the windscreen rather than through it. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a Cee-Bailey (I like their OEM windshield thickness much better than Aeroflow's skimpy thin screens), but for now, the OEM high screen that came with the bike, with Saeng's Micro-swirl edging added works just fine.

I love my 'new' K1200GT!:heart

Hi Ralph,
I have an 07 1200GT and find the wind noise irritating.
I've been thinking about another windscreen, but saw your reply.
I'm just ove 6' tall and would like to know more about the Saeing edging.
Do you put the windscreen right up (some back pressure and more noise) or lower (less noise but the windblast is tiring).
Love to know if this maybe my solution.

Marty Lifetime MOA Member
2007 K1200GT
1985 K100RT (bought new & sold 7/09)
Too many Jananese and European bikes to remember!

Hi Marty... I put the Saeng edging on because I formerly had to put the OEM windscreen all the way up high to get the wind up off my helmet and the roar of it relatively out of my ears (Nolan 102 helmet). Now, with the edging, if I only raise it maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inches it lowers the wind noise. I already had hanging in the shop the edging that I'd taken off my R1150RT years ago, and decided to give it a try on the '06 K1200GT I'd just gotten so as not to purchase a better windshield from Cee Bailey immediately (I once had an Aeroflow for my 1150RT, but it yellowed, and was kinda skimpy on thickness in my estimation as the Cee Bailey was at least as thick and clear as the OEM) as I'd had on my R1200RT that I traded on the K-Bike. The Cee Bailey's larger windshield is the next purchase for the K-Bike for this fall some time.

Back