• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Top Case For Gs

1995gs

I own a 95 GS since new. I would like to add a hard topcase and was wondering who makes the best fit. I visited TwistedThrottle and they have something called a Coocase S48 for $275 that includes brake lights, "alarm" and keyless entry. Has anyone used this product or is Givi the way to go.

I got a Micatech top case for my R12GS. I got the medium size which holds quite a bit. I also like the tie down hardware on top for those extra items.

GIVI top case

I have had a GIVI top case on a GS I used to have. I wouldn't buy another one, especially one with the brake light. The contacts for the lights to work didn't hold up. The rounded shape of the case itself wasted packing space.
I want to ride with the guy who is going to get ejected over the back of his back is a sudden stop. That's one heck of a reverse gear you have on that bike!

Have you looked at
Caribou
?

Some riders do not like hard top cases because of safety concerns. In the event of a sudden stop and your are ejected back wards or stop and the bike is still moving the case could break your back. Have you thought of a soft waterproof bag ? If you are worrying about thief use a Pac safe.

On a hijack note a soft bag is lighter in weight than a hard top case if you are thinking about long distance travel.

Could you describe the type of crash that the rider would go backward? I'm trying to imagine one but for the life of me can't.

Thanks,

Could you describe the type of crash that the rider would go backward? I'm trying to imagine one but for the life of me can't.

Thanks,

Getting rear-ended by a car while stopped at a light. Ewan McGregor go rear-ended in Canadialand on "Long Way Round" and was saved by the hard Touratech panniers. They absorbed most of the damage from the Honda Civic's impact. Well, actually, the Honda's front end absorbed most of the damage. ;)

Is Givi the way to go.

They're not the only way to go but I have a GiVi E52 Maxia on each of my Adventures and another GiVi top box on my KLR 650.

They are good quality, make efficient use of space (unlike my BMW system cases) and last. No complaints!

Back