• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Street Pilot 2820 Motorcycle Mount Kit Wiring Help

I just did this with the exact same kit and a garmin 2730. I took two 1 foot pieces of ten gauge wire and crimped on ring style connectors. I then put these under the + and - wire connections on the battery. Then I just spliced the power cords from the Garmin coard to the appropriate wires. Red to + and Black to -. Since the red wire is fused in the Garmin cord there shouldn't be any problem going directly to the battery.

Just remember to turn off the GPS since it will always have 12 V supply even with the key off.

Hope that helps,
Peter

Excellent! I was thinking I could do that but I was worried about blowing the thing up lol. Have you forgotten to turn it off yet and drain your battery?

I purchased a canbus plug & wired it to that so when you shut down the bike the power turns off.

jim:lurk

Not sure what your particular situation is.......but, when I installed my BMW Navigator II (Garmin 2610), there was a power cable made specifically for it, and canbus compatible, just to the right of the steering head. All I had to do was remove the dummy plug, and plug my Garmin into that, and I had fused power when the switch was on. Might check to see if your bike has such, you could at least splice into it if your particular power cable is not compatible.

I have the Garmin 2820 which is the same thing minus the special BMW specific features programmed in. I purchased the Garmin Motorcycle mount kit which calls to hardwire into the bikes electrical system. I'm not really interested in beging to splice and dice the bike so i think I'm going to get Touratechs Canbus helper.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/s...ession=touratech:4020E2E007ca5162DCGTTKFB616E

The only comment I would make is that the CanBus helper is limited to a maximum of 15amps. Plenty for a 1 amp draw GPS but very limiting if you are planning to add more things to your bike.

For about the same cost I have a Centech Fuse panel (no affiliation just use it) and it has a 60 Amp capacity, to which i have connected my GPS, Autocom, Gerbing and on board compressor.

Nothing wrong in what you are looking to purchase but potentially limiting your future expandibility

I'm wondering if I would be able to attach a powerlet to the fuse panel and plug it in to the outlet under my seat in order for it to act as a relay. Centech requires the purchase of a relay for its fuse box that would need to be spliced in somewhere IÔÇÖm assuming.

I'm wondering if I would be able to attach a powerlet to the fuse panel and plug it in to the outlet under my seat in order for it to act as a relay. Centech requires the purchase of a relay for its fuse box that would need to be spliced in somewhere IÔÇÖm assuming.

You do not specifically need the relay option on the Centech - but note i have one because that is how i want to control the power to the panel.

If you are going to add the powerlet I would get the relay kit (more from an ease of use and less cluttering wires) - it would be about $20.00 more.

Or just remember to shut of the GPS - couple of ways to go.

If you do get the relay it is a straight forward install and you can pick up a trigger line from several places.

Back