Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone move from an RT to K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonder View Post
    Jurgen, the weather protection on a GT is substantially better than on an RS. I've owned both. I'd say the GT and the RT are pretty much equal ... MAYBE a extremely slight edge to the RT, maybe.
    I'm not sure. After having a really tough time in central Illinois last October with strong crosswind gusts on my K75RT, which has a fairing design fairly similar to the modern R1200RT (albeit a smaller bike), I demoed a 2008 GT all day on a pretty gusty November day and was impressed with how little crosswinds impacted me, and attributed it partly to the fact that the GT has a lot less side fairing structure than the K75RT. There seems to be a lot less surface for crosswinds on the GT fairing. But I didn't get a chance to take out an R1200RT that day for a direct comparison. I do really like the GT fairing, it's effective but fairly minimal.

A bit off-topic, but I'd really like to hear a comparison between the modern RT and GT in strong crosswinds.
    Sam Hokin, Madison BMW Club | Facebook | Flickr
    1991 K75RT (130,000 mi) road | 1983 KZ440 fun | 2006 SV650 track
    "BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984

steviewonder
    I was addressing rain protection (an oxymoron on a motorcycle anyway) and headwind protection. Having driven both in West Texas, which has more wind generation of electricity than any other state, the home of strong and gusty winds, I would agree the GT has a bit more stability than the RT because of the smaller side profile.

bob1100rtc
    If I could find a clean 64 Nova at the right price I would take it in a heartbeat. Its all about what floats your boat.

steviewonder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1100RTC View Post
    a clean 64 Nova
    Isn't that an oxymoron?