• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Depression stories

redclfco

With the REsession going down, I thought it might be a good time to pass on some stories of the GREAT DE pression so many years ago, to make those of us crying in our soup feel a little better about the current times...

My Dad's family hung onto the cattle ranch by raising turkeys, thousands of turkeys, and drove them all over the countryside; farmers welcomed them because they were a natural insecticide as they drove these birds through the fields of crops. My dad's family ate so much Turkey; he could never eat Turkey the rest of his life. We would serve white meat at thanksgiving, and he would turn around and feed it to the cats. These were cattle and horse ranchers, mind you. They did this to find a way to not sell the ranch and their stock.

My Grandma who lived in the foothills west of Ft. Collins, CO used a stick with a crook shaped hook to catch rattlesnakes, and gathered them into a great big purse with a snap lid. The family put them big 50 gal wooden barrels for keep and fed mice to them. Each fall when it got very cold, they would pack them up in crates, and ship them to somebody to milk the venom. Each fall after the temps went down, my dad said they had a trailer where they would dump them onto the floor in a heated shack, and pull them out of the ball of snakes to fill the crates, but said you had to work fast before they warmed up and got nasty.

Dad said that all the neighbors pooled the kids together in a sod house for sleeping arrangements during the winter months to avoid heating up the individual houses. About twenty kids in this sod hut. I saw that hut 35 years later, still standing, and had LESS square ft. than my kid’s bedroom!

Cigarette butts. The whole family smoked (cough, cough)..So Grandma would gather all the butts into a container, and when they were out, they all would set down and roll the smokes to keep everybody going (cough cough).

I have all these great cedar lamps made out of twisted cedar (juniper to you easterners) with the red streaks throughout the lamps. My grandparents made them during the depression. In order to finish these lamps, I have used sandpaper. In the depression, they used thick pieces of bottle glass, and scraped them down to the desired finish...

My best hunting knife was passed down to me from my dad, and his dad. It’s made from a hunk of sickle bar, then ground down, heated (tempered) and reheated, then sharpened into an 8" hunting knife.. It holds a perfect edge, has gone through more deer pelvises and ribcages then most knives have ever seen, yet stays sharp as a razor with a few passes on the whet stone. The handle is rubber cut some how down through old tractor tires,alternating black and sort of a dull black red as the colors of tires from those years. The entirre handle is hand made, and somehow laminated together, with a brass cap made from a radiator from an old car. It is in perfect condition, and will be passed down hopefully for many generations to come.

Things were rough in those days. Most families who lived around there ate all the deer, to the point where finding one was a real challenge. Rugs were made of old clothing, tied on a string them loomed into a round rug. Carp fish and suckers were not thrown back; they were eaten, along with anything else pulled from the lakes and streams. Soap was made from wood ashes, and nothing was wasted. Coffee was made, remade, and finally chewed like tobacco. I'm sure others out there have equal stories of perseverance and sacrifice.

These were tough days which the likes I pray America will never have to experience again.

Anybody out there have stories that may make todays little bump in the road sound a little better?

IMHO, America needs to pull themselves up by their boot straps here, and quit crying in our soup. We all need to stick together, Dems and Republicans alike if we are going to see better days!

Last edited:
Your family had it good. My dad tells us of growing up with his brother (two other siblings died in infancy) on a poor vegetable farm in NW Ohio. There were times when the only meal was potatoes and field corn*.

* Yeah; cattle & birds love it, but try some yourself sometime ... :hungover

. Most families who lived around there ate all the deer, to the point where finding one was a real challenge.

I could consider that a real advantage today, especially since I just hit another one with the old diesel 240TD last week.:banghead

My Mom was born in 1924 to a southern Appalachian couple. They had it some better than most because my Grandfather was a machinist for the railroad, but that really isn't saying a lot. My grandfather walked to work (never had a drivers license) and used a steer to plow the garden. They ate mostly what they grew or could find wild and Mom said the only flour they could get was dark and had bugs in it. Everyone in the mountains had it hard and I'm not so sure the depression made that much worse to hear her talk. One of her sisters died of the whooping cough and one brother died from lock jaw (tetanus) after stepping on a rusty nail and not telling anyone until it was too late. I never knew my Grandfather as he died in '59, two years before I was born. Others have told me that he was kind of a local source of entertainment, as he was a champion story teller and musician. Apparantly, there would be as many as 50 people gathered at their house on Sat night for "the show". Mom said she and her 3 sisters all slept in the same bed until they were teenagers. 3 across and 1 along the foot. They rotated the foot position because that person got kicked a lot;) She always lived by the saying "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." All of the sisters moved to Washington D.C. during the war and never moved back to the mountains. They're all gone now, but during my life I saw a real spirit of determination and ability to endure hardship in them that was amazing.

Back