Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Fun's (Restoration) Begun!

JALAIMO146577

The Fun's (Restoration) Begun!

Although the bike was in excellent running condition. the mismatched paint and oxidixed aluminum engine and drive train just didn't cut it for me.

Below is a photo after stripping of the body armor, painted the aluminum with cast aluminum engine paint. Fork tubes are on order as well as Hagon shock, Sargent Seat (Taking it down a notch). Today I pulled the steering head needs new bearings and crinle black finished the engine.

I'll keep you updated as I progress. So far its been fun and I'm taking my time to do a quality job. Next pressure wash and paint the wheels to matich the drive train and change all the fluids with syntheic lubricants. The brake pads are new, but were soaked with fork oil. Not sure if they are salvageable.

Tips will always be appreciated. Like how to get at those screws that hold the fuel tank on.

JALAIMO146577

Tail Rackectomy

I pulled the tail rack and filled the holes. So it's up for grabs, make an offer and its yours.

I believe the tank is held on by 2 rubber grommets and pegs in the back, just lift up
    the back and they will pop out.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

On my 87 the tank has two clips on the back lower corners pull those off then lift the back up and slide the whole tank back . You will have to remove the fuel lines to take the tank off the bike. nice system.

Brian

Egads!

----Don't forget to relieve the fuel tank pressure before removing the tank---

...then make sure to unclip the fuel pump connector (hangs out on the back right side underneath the tank),

...pull out the two brass clips at the bottom left and right tank corners (needle nose pliers work well)...

....undo the fuel line from the injector rail...

...lift up the tank on the left side so you can loosen and remove the tank breather hose...

and voila, you're done---hope this found you in time.
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

There may not be circlips holding the tank down on the rear corners, mine lasted about a year. After that the weight of the gas tank held the gas tank down just fine.

You can get the later style coolant expansion tank, it would be easy to do now. It has a window for viewing the coolant level, which doesn't darken with age like that plasticy tube does.
    Looks like someone already did the relocation job on the rear reservoir, I never did get around to doing that on mine, a new reservoir is pretty cheap, I had to replace mine twice, no biggie.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

You, uhm, ah, seem to have lost the forks somewhere.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

JALAIMO146577
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    There may not be circlips holding the tank down on the rear corners, mine lasted about a year. After that the weight of the gas tank held the gas tank down just fine.

You can get the later style coolant expansion tank, it would be easy to do now. It has a window for viewing the coolant level, which doesn't darken with age like that plasticy tube does.
    Looks like someone already did the relocation job on the rear reservoir, I never did get around to doing that on mine, a new reservoir is pretty cheap, I had to replace mine twice, no biggie.

Gilly

Correct no circlips, just gentle pry with a board and the pins pop out and I can slide the tank back to acces the radiator fill port. Not sure what you mean regarding the rear resevoir, relocated, replace?

JALAIMO146577
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You, uhm, ah, seem to have lost the forks somewhere.

FORKS? I heard these bikes are so well balanced you only need one wheel. Actually I ordered new fork tubes from Forking by Frank, originals were pitted and cut up the fork seals. I specified 30mm under to match my 30mm shorter Hagon shock.

You can see it in the picture you started this thread with, at the bottom of the triangular shaped section of the frame, that black triangular shaped tank, has that grungy tube as a sight for the coolant level, a few years later they came up with a different version, which is a direct replacement.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

JALAIMO146577

Drain plug

OK, who hid the drain plug for the cooling system??

If you have a coolant temp gauge, the coolant temp sensor replaces the cooling system drain plug. The temp sensor is located at the front of the engine on the bottom of the water pump.

JALAIMO146577

Progressive Fork springs

Moving a long progress is slow motly waiting for parts. SHould have an pdate photo on Monday.

Question are the Progressive Fork Springs woth the money? Has anyone seitched and realyy a significant improvement?

Manfred
    Quote Originally Posted by JALAIMO146577 View Post
    Moving a long progress is slow motly waiting for parts. SHould have an pdate photo on Monday.

Question are the Progressive Fork Springs woth the money? Has anyone seitched and realyy a significant improvement?
    I've put Progressive Springs in 2 Yamahas and was very happy with the improvement. A P.O. installed them on my airhead - very good handling. Not as good as higher priced Ohlins, etc. - so it depends on your riding style and pocketbook.