• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lowered pegs and brake pedal adjustment

beckgr

I have a 99 R1100RT and have just lowered the pegs. Fit is great but brake pedal is now too high. So high that I have to lift my entire foot to brake. [I have not found a replacement brake lever on any thread or website. I'm pretty decent mechanically, can change out most things and have installed a new lower shift lever. But with brakes I'm always a bit nervous. The bike has ABS. I can't find in the BMW manual much in the way of adjustment. Looking at the bike's rear brake pedal assembly it doesn't look like there is much adjustment ability at all. Has anyone adjusted their brake pedal to accomodate lowered pegs? Any tips or tricks to accomplish this? anything to be especially wary of on the cure? Appreciate all or any advice.

I had the same problem with my R1100R. There is some adjustment to the length of the rod connecting the rear master cylinder to the pedal. Shorten it to lower the pedal. You will then have to adjust the stop bolt on the pedal arm, you may even have to install a longer stop bolt. You may have to remove some body work to get to this on the RT, on my R it is all exposed.

I had the same problem with my R1100R. There is some adjustment to the length of the rod connecting the rear master cylinder to the pedal. Shorten it to lower the pedal. You will then have to adjust the stop bolt on the pedal arm, you may even have to install a longer stop bolt. You may have to remove some body work to get to this on the RT, on my R it is all exposed.

Same problem, above is exactly correct. There is a little clip on the lower end of the rod attaching to the pedal. Snap this back, then loosen the locknut and shorten the rod by turning the adjuster. tighten the locknut and replace the clip. Loosen the locknut on the stop,and adjust it up. These work together, so a readjust may be necessary.

Follow up questions

This was actually pretty easy as you guys said. My question now is that the manaul indicates there is supposed to be a very small amount of clearance between the brake pedal adjusting bolt and the brake light switch. But it seems to work fine when the brake pedal adj bolt is touching the brake light switch. Do you think this matters? Finally, the rear wheel seems to turn just fine, not as easily as the front but I assume this has to do with the final drive, is there any way to tell what adjustment is correct or is it all trial and error and if i'm wearing out brake pads it's too tight?

The brake light switch actuator is the thin metal strip between the stop bolt and the hard stop. You should hear the switch actuate when you depress the pedal a little bit. The rear wheel probably does have a bit more resistance than the front. You could remove the rear brake caliper and turn the wheel to see if that is the problem.

All's well after a nice ride today. I still can't figure out why the manual talks about the clearance of between the brake pedal and brake switch plate, but everything works fine and brakes have a completely normal feel, lights work fine. Thanks for the help and we'll consider this project done. ...as normal, getting started was the hardest part of the job...

Thanks for the info on this thread. I had wanted to put the enlarged brake pedal attachment back on my 1150GSA but when wearing Sidi Discovery boots they were too stiff too allow my foot to flex enough to get on top of it.

After having a look at this thread I lowered it to the max. As it turned out that was too low and now will bring it back up a bit but at least I'll now be able to leave the larger brake pedal on.

:thumb

Back