• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New York City?

All good advice above. IMHO, NYC is not that bad. Used to be much worse. Thanks Rudy ;) Lived there for 12 years with a couple of cars and a bike. Both cars stolen. Once by a thief and once by the Sheriff.... parking tickets were silent killers in the early 90s. Im sure they still are but I traded the concrete cubby hole on the upper west side for some sky and quiet up north and commute in by rail mostly. Bikes are strangely unseen as far as loot.

Problem is that NYC a circus of distraction for every reason suggested in this thread and then some. Weekday driving for sight seeing and discovery not recommended unless you welcome multi tasking stress as an enjoyable challenge. Cabs, messengers, Limo drivers and Cops in NYC will make you feel like you are in another unfriendly country. Hence the tip on the traps they setup around Manhattan to slap you with BS traffic violations. I recently got snagged on 52nd street making an "illegal" right turn off of Madison during the hours of 2& 6PM for absolutely no good reason other than to bleed me of $120. Cages lined up like a McD's drive thru being served moving violations by red eyed remorseless tax collectors in intimidating NYPD uniforms. The insane thing was that my work office is in that vicinity so you'd think I'd known the fly paper was there :banghead Never run a yellow light. You can almost make out the sound of the camera shutter as you pass under the signal as it turns red. That summons comes like a utility bill complete with a close up of your Plate # :doh Take mass transit from a suburb.

Weekends, Sunday morning in particular, is a good time to cruise around on your bike while maintaining burnt orange to red on your cage and zombie threat alert level. The city isn't sleeping but its vacant of the Matrix like scurry and lack of personal space. All of those people are in my neck of the woods weekending in the Catskills... Hi Bubba? :nyah

May is great time to visit NYC. RiverSide park (cherry blossoms in bloom and Central Park) I highly recommend the West Side Highway - Henry Hudson Parkway(9A). The Hudson River is an excellent body to have on one side as you cruise the sights of the George Washington Bridge, the NJ Palisades and the midtown skyline as it rises up the further you go down. Not to mention the Goldman Sachs skyscraper on the right in Jersey City's booming expansion on the west bank of NY Harbor. It has been completely revitalized and is far more hospitable as a main route in or out. It will take you to the bottom of Manhattan (Ground Zero, Battery park, Wallstreet south street seaport area).. :eat . Then you can make your way north via avenue through China Town, Little Italy, SoHo and the west village. NYU, Washington Sq Park, etc etc. :eat John's Pizza on Bleeker is a NYC institution. One of the oldest, simplest and still original pizza joints in the apple. You can park in these areas and walk around. Just be mindful of the NASCAR style of speed and lane changing, which used to be far worse than it is today, and you'll have a good time. :usa

I did six days filming with my sidecar and dog in NYC for a beautiful video that YouTube deleted because I didn't own the rights to the soundtrack...bummer, but I knew it was gonna happen so I didn't hang myself. My input:

Enter through the Battery Street or Holland Tunnel and do it before 6 AM on weekdays.

BoBatteryStreet.jpg

For every minute after 6 AM you enter, the number of minutes you will wait in traffic grows exponentially. You won't suffer too badly normal hours on weekends. Sundays are best but keep in mind you and every other tourist within 50 miles have the same plan. The good thing about the Holland is that it's passenger vehicles only, no busses or trucks.

Check the events schedule and call NYPD and make sure nothing is happening on or around Times Square. I was stuck on 56th between 7th and Broadway literally for an hour trying to go one block one day because of a steet fair on 8th. In that hour, all the light disappeared and the shoot was screwed. Totally wasted day. Another day I was screwed because of a human rights demonstration on Times Square.

Take 9th, 10th or 11th or 1st or 2nd to get up or downtown even if it's just for 15 or 20 blocks. You could die old age on 7th, 8th or Broadway, 6th or 5th trying to get anywhere. If you want to move, stay close to the rivers.

It's worth going to NYC just to go south on the FDR from Houston to Lower Manhattan. Then turn around and go back.

BoFDR.jpg

The view of the city framed by the Brooklyn Bridge is unforgettable, see the video below to get an idea.

I didn't find NYPD to be mean or abusive and they didn't harrass me at all but that's probably because of the dog in the sidecar :)

The best place to get a memorable shot is on Broadway and 55th in front of the Letterman studio billboard. It's huge and there's always a place to stop there because the cops keep it clear for VIPs. You can stop there for a few minutes for a great pic of you and Dave. I never had a problem finding a place to squeeze my bike in on that block. From there, south on Broadway will get you to 45th and another unforgettable shot:

BoTimesSquare.jpg

South on Broadway will get you one with the Empire State in the backiground:

BoOnBroadway.jpg

Also, don't forget Jersey City!!! From the west side of the Hudson you'll get a shot of Manhattan in the background that will make your camera seize up with joy.

And if you have an airhead on a hot day, think twice. I have a K75 and the fan was on most of the time and still the temperature was above marginal. You need a watercooled bike to do Manhattan on a hot, or any, day because you are going to stand in traffic wherever you go.

Here's a video with some of the NYC footage...some day I hope to legally release the deleted one as a short film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El0vCOyxb3A&fmt=6

Riding in Manhattan was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. To those who advise against it on principle: You'll ride the Alaska Highway but you won't do Manhattan? The hell you say!

Van and Bo

Did you mean, velcro your license plate on, so you can take it with you?
Hey Rinty, I'm sure that's what Fabiox meant.

Some folks do this so that they can park in slightly illegal parking situationsÔÇölike on a grassy divider or even a sidewalkÔÇöand walk away with their license so that NYPD won't ticket them. A number of NYC riders claim they do this to prevent their plate from being stolen too.

I've never done it. I don't really see the need and honestly there are plenty of curb-spots for a bike to park in. JMO.

FYI, just returned from a jaunt across town, over the Queensborough Bridge to Greenpoint, Brooklyn and back. Wavering taxis, delivery trucks, the ever-present Lincoln Town Car gypsy cabs and Moon-worthy crater sized potholes to dodge. The most exciting 13 miles you can do without leaving the five boroughs! Came back to the UWS just in time to meet Bubba Zanetti on his return trip from New England, who stopped by to chew the fat and show me the ABS repair on his S.

:thumb

Hey Van - that video was just fabulous! :thumb :thumb Had to share it with my wife and we both enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

FYI, just returned from a jaunt across town, over the Queensborough Bridge to Greenpoint, Brooklyn and back. Wavering taxis, delivery trucks, the ever-present Lincoln Town Car gypsy cabs and Moon-worthy crater sized potholes to dodge. The most exciting 13 miles you can do without leaving the five boroughs! Came back to the UWS just in time to meet Bubba Zanetti on his return trip from New England, who stopped by to chew the fat and show me the ABS repair on his S.

:thumb

Run-up to Queensboro, there's a dip in the roadway so you see the whole city in Panoramavision...

QueensboroRear1.jpg

Then you come off the bridge...

QueensboroFront.jpg

and Boom! There you are in the Center Of It All.

QueensboroRear2.jpg

Unbelievable. Can't wait to go back this Spring.

V and B

Van, great shots! The upper roadway, west-bound, of the Queensborough Bridge is one of the best views of the city. You should try it at night sometime.

Then again there's another famous view, facing East, of the Bridge from a different angle :thumb
manhattan-bridge-scene-woody-allen1.jpg

Personally I preder walking in NYC. There's

169098366_uGgDY-M.jpg

over to...

169098266_XY77k-M.jpg

And some great views...

169098388_UDFF4-M.jpg

Van, great shots! The upper roadway, west-bound, of the Queensborough Bridge is one of the best views of the city. You should try it at night sometime.

Then again there's another famous view, facing East, of the Bridge from a different angle :thumb
manhattan-bridge-scene-woody-allen1.jpg
THAT is a nice shot! :thumb

I once received six tickets while parked on the sidewalk with the plate removed. Fortunately the judge dismissed them all for being "defective".

A large freight elevator helps when parking in your fourth floor living room.

503383004_GBHud-L.jpg

501130069_gtCVv-M.gif

I don't know ANYTHING about riding in NYC, but I love this pic:
BoTimesSquare.jpg

Great stuff!

If you haven't already, I think it'd be neat if you started a thread on your project--for the dog and bike lovers among us.

:wave

a desire to ride in N.Y. City. Riding goals have to be documented you know.

Why? If you must, the night view of the GW bridge along the West Side highway is quite nice. Anytime between 3-5am is actually good. But I still have to wonder...
Robert

I knew Paul B, and Tessler, and BrooklynPete would kick into this one.

If you ride in, know the bridges, and bring quarters for that 'exact change' that they always request. If you have an EZ-Pass in your state, then, they are transferrable on the Bridges and Tunnels.

Avenues go Up and Down, and Streets go Left and Right. Everything is a box, and don't forget to experience Central Park.

In after 10am is good, but, without reading all three pages, get out by 230 pm.

Love those pix 75571!

As for advice on the 'wider avenues', avoid the manhole covers under any circumstances. When there is just a little moisture in the air, those things are as slippery as riding on an ice rink, and your tires could Zingggggggg right out from underneath you. Parked cars on the left or right side will come out of no where, so BEWARE! Ride in the middle of the road, as much as possible, and try to avoid bus fumes by staying clear of those things.

Keep in touch with us, and give a shout when you plan to make ground.
Tessler's office is by Madison Sq. Garden, so is our favorite Pizza Joint, and
I'm only 50 mins from the city, and the West Side Highway from the Javits Center to the tip of Manhattan is a gorgeous run along the Hudson River.

Ride Safe!

I once received six tickets while parked on the sidewalk with the plate removed. Fortunately the judge dismissed them all for being "defective".

A large freight elevator helps when parking in your fourth floor living room.

503383004_GBHud-L.jpg

501130069_gtCVv-M.gif

Radalland You are the NYC Elite ....to have freight elevator in NYC you must to be rich.
Here is Fabiox from Brooklyn East Williamsburg Jewish ghetto!
I have been parking everywhere in NYC, soho, noho, east village, middletown, uptown, union square everyday! I ride all year long , every single dry day of the year and I only got one ticket in 3 years ! I love NY , I love Velcrom and I will love to have a freight elevator too like you.
Peace

Back